PDA

View Full Version : belt drive vs. hydro

CuttingEdge8684
08-18-2007, 07:57 PM
I have been cutting for the last few years with a 52" Belt drive Toro Proline with Toro TruTrack Sulky. I go threw 2-3 sets of drive belts in 6-8 months mowing 15-20 yards a week. Belts costin $100/set. It seems like a lot of wear. The mower is a 1995 and I was considering upgrading to a hydro. What have you guys experienced or reccommend? With this amount of wear on belts how much will it cost to maintain a hydro?

Grass Happens
08-18-2007, 08:10 PM
Might want to make sure your pulleys and everything are in good shape. Bearings good, and correct alignment. Most belt drives do wear faster when you use a sulky, but unless your 2000 lbs, I don't think that quickly.
Hydro's are fine with a sulky, considering most use the same size pump and motors that are on a Z. They are also twice the price of a belt drive. Unless you go with a single hydro system, but those down offer the zero or near zero turn radius.

NC Greenscaper
08-18-2007, 08:23 PM
I have a husq w4815, cut about the same amount and my belts are needing replacement after 1 year of cutting

Texas Mower Parts
08-18-2007, 08:59 PM
That seems alittle fast. I've seen gear drives with 5+ year old belts that look bad, but still pull. Are you using OEM or aftermarket belts? Did you make sure that your engine to transmission belt was tight first?

ed2hess
08-18-2007, 09:02 PM
That seems alittle fast. I've seen gear drives with 5+ year old belts that look bad, but still pull. Are you using OEM or aftermarket belts? Did you make sure that your engine to transmission belt was tight first?

Depends on the design....Scag yes they go a long time...Snapper no they don't last long...less than year without sulky.

lawnpro724
08-18-2007, 09:55 PM
I'm not sure about the mower you have but I have the newer version of what you have. I have the 2007 48" TurboForce deck w/tru trak sulky and it gets used on several large properties and over 40 lawns a week and so far the belts are fine with little to no wear.