PDA

View Full Version : Has Anyone Done a PSI Compairison Chart for Riders vs Walkbehinds vs. Stand-Ons

Total Lawncare Solutions
08-18-2007, 10:00 PM
I'm trying to convince the HOA to let us use Stand-Ons but I would imagine the PSI is allot greater than the currently required Walkbehinds.

The last crews used small 36" ZTR's and the rutting was unacceptable. All of the lawns are irrigated and very small so the turf is often soft and altering cutting patterns can be very difficult on the narrow yards.

I know I can figure it out by using the specs but I thought there might be a standard PSI spec sheet floating around here that I could use. Obviously oporator weight is variable on the rider and Stand-On but I would take an average of 180lbs.

Total Lawncare Solutions
08-18-2007, 10:12 PM
36" deck on all three units would also be helpful.

Total Lawncare Solutions
08-18-2007, 11:08 PM
No chart floating around LS?

I want one for the meeting tomorrow morning which means it's time to start making my own.

I was hoping LS could save me from an evening of toil!

lawnprosteveo
08-18-2007, 11:46 PM
I may be way wrong on this, but I thought the rutting from some of these small riders/standers was because of the size of the tires in comparison to the weight of the machine. When you go to a 36" deck, the smaller tire doesnt "float" the mower's weight as well. When you go to a 48" or bigger deck, you get a bigger tire that tends not to rut as much.
Thats what Ive always heard was the case....

Eric D
08-18-2007, 11:56 PM
I'm trying to convince the HOA to let us use Stand-Ons but I would imagine the PSI is allot greater than the currently required Walkbehinds.

I have not seen a psi chart for the wheel loading. If I had a little more time I could have made you up a chart in Excel. I might go ahead and play with some numbers even though it would be to late for your meeting tomorrow.

I would think that the stand-ons wouldn't be much different then a standard walk-behind unit.

If you do come up with a chart, how about sharing it?

Eric D

ed2hess
08-18-2007, 11:57 PM
Bottom line the bigger the mower the more complaints you will get from HOA. We use a 36" Hydro so that we avoid bumping stuff and have control on turning so we don't tear up grass. Our Sentar 36" has very large tires but still just won't work on wet situation around close homes. In a tight situation a big tires leaves a mighty big scar that can't be hidden easily. We even have to use a 21" around one guys home......just to keep everybody happy.

Total Lawncare Solutions
08-19-2007, 12:11 AM
Well, the PSI on a Stand-On would be significantly more because of the weight of the operator over the wheels.

I'm hoping that those 36" riders will come out far ahead of the Stand Ons but the calculations are kind of speculative because of the operators positioning.

I will have some kind of chart by morning and w/some fudging I should be able to convince them to give the Stand-Ons a shot.

The size is not an issue.

36"

All 37" gates.

Eric D
08-19-2007, 12:43 AM
I have to wonder if any of the manufactures offer over sized tires for soft ground areas? It would seem like a good option to offer. Could you even retro fit wider tires? Might be something to look into.

Eric D

Total Lawncare Solutions
08-19-2007, 01:12 AM
Larger tire would exceed deck width and not fit through the gate.

There is no trim side on a 36".

You would need a narrower tractor.