PDA

View Full Version : Snapper Ninja Blades for mulching

IHusky
08-18-2007, 10:47 PM
Just wondering if the Snapper Ninja blades will make a difference on my Snapper 21" (Hi-Vac). It does great when bagging, but is leaving a couple of stragglers when I use the mulch plug. Thanks

ed2hess
08-18-2007, 10:51 PM
I never had much luck with those blades and we run snappers on same type of grasses as you do.......sorta limination of the snapper is not a great mulching unit.

IHusky
08-18-2007, 11:13 PM
thats what I thought, thanks

Envy Lawn Service
08-18-2007, 11:20 PM
I'd like to have a set bored out to 3/4" center hole size to try on a Lesco deck.

Looks like a neat idea of a blade.

branhamt
08-19-2007, 12:22 AM
I use only Ninja blades to mulch on my snappers. I can notice a difference right away. Tried gators with a drilled out hole but not the same as a Ninja. IMHO

Roger
08-19-2007, 06:21 AM
If you are getting stragglers with a standard blade, then I believe you will have more with the Ninja blade. I have a Snapper that is no longer in regular service. I did use a Ninja blade, but never liked it. The quality of result in terms of smooth surface was unacceptable.

Having said that, I don't do mulching of turf because I find the result unacceptable in general. For example, I have an Atomic blade for my Toro ProLine 21" machine. The mowing result is terrible, simply not a clean cut.

Mulching blades do not have much lift. By design, they cannot have much lift, or the clipping debris would be held up inside the deck, and not drop out. The Atomic blades have very little lift. The Ninja blade has some lift, perhaps more than the Atomic blade.

I have a set of Ninja blades for my Exmark 36" Viking. I never use them for turf, but find them to be very effective for mulching leaves in the Fall. I merely close off the discharge chute, and get good mulching action. However, when I need to make another pass to spread out the debris, I change to a hi-lift blade -- the Ninja blades don't have enough discharge force for an even spread of debris. Most of my leaf mulching has migrated to a standard Gator (not the hi-lift version) blade. It offers good leaf mulching action (not as good as the Ninja), and offers acceptable discharge force for spreading debris on a second (third?) pass.

Yes, I have used my Ninja blade on my 21" Snapper for leaf mulching, and it works well. But, that is no longer my primary hand mower.

naturescape
08-20-2007, 10:12 AM
I've found Ninjas are AWESOME on a Snapper 21". Try one!

Scagguy
08-20-2007, 01:31 PM
I believe it depends on the type of grasses you're cutting and whether or not it's wet. In my experience the Ninja blades work well as long as the grass is not damp. If it is, the cut quality is not the greatest.

saw man
08-20-2007, 02:30 PM
It really depends on the Snapper deck you have. The Hivac deck doesnt mulch worth a darn. If you have their mulching deck then it works pretty good.

cgaengineer
08-20-2007, 03:04 PM
I use the Ninja blade on my Snapper and I love it...its cut is not as nice as the regular blade, the the ability to mulch is the reason I use it and for that it does a great job.