PDA

View Full Version : Hard starting CV14T / Exmark

caddison
08-19-2007, 01:22 AM
Well I haved replaced the plug and the carb, cleaned the flywheel and the coil contacts. The only way this thing will start is with a small shot of starter fluid. It also tends to pop, cut out and act like there is a lack of fuel when you spin around at the end of a turn. I checked the float level and there is no adjustment as the float is plastic. Any ideas?

Restrorob
08-19-2007, 07:46 PM
The hard starting sounds like the choke isn't closing fully which it must.

Did you remove the coil to clean the contacts ? If so what did you set the air gap at ?

What was the reason for replacing the carb ?

Sorry for all the questions but the info. could be helpful.....

Eric D
08-19-2007, 07:51 PM
It would also help to know how many hours are on it and if the problems started all at once or over time.

Regards,

Eric D

topsites
08-20-2007, 10:25 AM
I would replace the fuel filter next, make sure it's getting juice anyhow.

caddison
08-21-2007, 02:38 PM
The mower has 75 hrs on it. I replaced the carb because of a bad needle and seat.....kit wouldn't fix it and it continued to put fuel in the carb after shutting the machine down. It did start easier though! I removed the coil to clean and set the gap with typical business card paper thickness. The fuel filter is new as well. Seems to have a good spark as well.

It amazes me that it will start with half a pull if you give it just a small shot of starting fluid but it will not go without it. The other thing is that while mowing and making a turn it will pop and then recover and run fine. I am perplexed!

Eric D
08-21-2007, 05:35 PM
Did you check the choke plate to see if it is fully closing as Rob point out in his earlier post? It has to fully shut and if you put some light pressure on the plate with your finger it should stay tightly shut, not lifting off.

What is the fuel level in the tank when you make the turn? Is it different turning left or turn right?

I can understand you being perplexed, some of this stuff can get confusing.

Regards,

Eric D

Restrorob
08-21-2007, 07:22 PM
Until we here about the choke I will put hard start a side.

Is it safe to assume you took the float bowl off the new carb looking for a reason why it wouldn't start ?

If so, It's possible when you cranked it on starting fluid and drove the unit around there was some water in the tank that is now in the carb sloshing when you turn.

Also, You could have a handlebar safety switch that has a fine line between making contact or not. When you spin a turn your hand may be moving enough to cause no contact for a second until you re-position/get a better grip after turning.

Disconnect the (should be white) kill lead wire at the engine then go spin some turns and see if it still acts up.

caddison
08-22-2007, 12:31 AM
The choke plate seems to be closed all the way but I will check it a little closer and adjust the cable if needed. Mine still has the pistol grips and the popping happens no matter which direction you are turning but I will disengage the wire to see if that makes a difference. I have fresh fuel in the tank but will add a some sea foam...there was no eveidence of water in the fuel in the bowl when I took it off. Will let you know on the choke....Thanks for all the impute!!

caddison
08-25-2007, 11:21 PM
Well the mystery is solved. From all appearances the choked looked to be closing all the way. I reached in the carb and there was a little play left. I adjusted the choke to close completely and sure enough....second pull of the rope and it fired right off. I can't believe I had been fighting this thing this long and a 1/16 of an inch made all the difference in the world. I appreciate the help guys and I am a little smarter today!

Thanks again!