PDA

View Full Version : honest opion about striping please!!!!

SangerLawn
08-19-2007, 01:27 AM
There is a lawn I pass every week on one of my routes. This lawn is about 1500 foot long but only about 250 foot wide. the company that mows it has been mowing it the same way every week for over two years. All of there stripes go long ways. Yes I agree it is probably faster to do it this way but the stripes are looking extremely burnt in and in my opinion looking tacky and horrible. I understand giving what a customer what they want, I just don’t understand why you wouldn’t change your direction on a lawn this size.

I will go by there tomorrow with a camera so you can see what I am talking about but it is late and on my mind so I thought I would ask what you think??? It honestly looks like someone painted black and light green stripes in the lawn…. We are under extreme drought conditions, I don’t see how this could be good for the lawn. I have worked for some else for several years and this is my first year on my own…. Do people really enjoy lawns like this compared to nice, kind of dark stripes that are in two different directions using the cross pattern???

Envy Lawn Service
08-19-2007, 01:30 AM
They just do it the same way every time in order to save time and still lay stripes.

Yes, it's hard on the turf because the tires are always tracking the same path.

Accu-cut Lawn Care
08-19-2007, 10:58 AM
I stripe ALMOST everything I mow. That being said, I try to lay each property out with three strip patterns...Two main that I go to every other cut...the third is in case the main patterns start showing wheel burn.

SangerLawn
08-19-2007, 12:03 PM
Accu-cut.... i never thought about doing a third cut that!!!! probably something well know but i guss i ma alittle dence lol. i stripe in a cross pattern as well... thanks again!!!

rodfather
08-19-2007, 02:14 PM
No reason they couldn't do it 4 ways...2+'s and 2x's.

Accu-cut Lawn Care
08-19-2007, 02:36 PM
When you lay out 4 patterns on a lawn or sportsfield, the stripes become muddled and bad looking. The best way to do it, in my experience, is to have two base patterns at 70 degrees, and one crossing pattern that you can go to every 4 or 5 weeks during drought or ultra hot conditions.

rodfather
08-19-2007, 02:39 PM
Then again...does anyone really care? 99.99% of the customers don't have a clue about striping. :laugh:

Accu-cut Lawn Care
08-19-2007, 03:00 PM
Mine do... But then again, most of my residentials are high end. Another thing to think about is how the drought has affected Fescue lawns in my region... The grass I have may not be very green; but the stripes kind of help to make up for it.

KingOfCupCar20
08-19-2007, 07:10 PM
i stripe everything, used to do 4 ways 2 + and 2 x...now i just cut in 2 directions, havent had a problem burning wheel marks into for the past few years by just going 2 ways....and man does it suck that most of the customers dont even notice the striping haha the only people that do are fellow cutters who drive by and notice what a great job someone did haha

J&R Landscaping
08-19-2007, 10:58 PM
Most of my customers don't care but I go over a lawn with different patterns and rotate so not to get the ruts and such from doing the same thing multiple times.

swingset
08-20-2007, 12:07 AM
I'm thinking about changing my patterns to write things, like my name or dirty pictures...that sort of thing.

It's the next big thing in lawncare, wait and see. ;)

fiveoboy01
08-20-2007, 02:39 AM
I always alternate directions each week, simply to attempt to minimize stress on the turf.

02DURAMAX
08-20-2007, 08:41 AM
I always alternate directions each week, simply to attempt to minimize stress on the turf.

Same here.

topsites
08-20-2007, 10:19 AM
I like striping because it boils the mow down to a system, helps hide the defects, and for those who care, looks good. But it's all just a thing, most folks could care less about it, I don't think it will make or break an Lco for sure. I dislike it to a point because a Toro really is more of a going into turns machine vs. a pivoter, but oh well.

ACutAboveNC
08-20-2007, 09:49 PM
You do not just mow in two directions to reduce wheel stress. You also mow in at least two directions so your grass will not lay flat every time you cut the lawn. You will produce a healthier stand when you mow the grass in a vertical orientation rather than a matted fashion. You will provide shade for the roots and that will help with the summer stress of at least a fesuce lawn.