PDA

View Full Version : Blowing against the Wind

Landscape89
08-19-2007, 01:20 AM
How do you guys approach this? I was doing regular lawn maintenance for 4 houses today and the winds were going at 30-40 MPH, but the lawns were so long they had to get done. AWFUL!! :realmad: I tried Blowing the opposite way the wind was going, that didnt work too well. So I tried my best to clean up as much as possible as tough of a day it was. A few hours after finishing for the day, I thought of possibly blowing everything from the curb and driveway onto the lawn before mowing and then sucking it up with the mower? Im sure to you guys wind is a nightmare as well. Just wanted to see everyones thoughts. Thanks for any info!

topsites
08-19-2007, 04:28 AM
I love windy days for grass cutting, that just means I don't have to blow down afterwards, thou 30-40mph I think would keep me at home...? I don't know, must've been pretty tall stuff, I usually do 2-3 perimeter runs with the chute facing in (to the inside of the lawn), that creates an outline of a border so then I can cut the rest any which way I want and a whole lot less crap blows onto the streets and drive / walk ways.

In the end you just do the best you can, it's all you can do.

Doing leaves on a windy day are another story, don't get me started :laugh:

carcrz
08-19-2007, 08:41 AM
I do like topsites does & make a couple passes inward first. If there's grass on the street, drive, or sidewalk I just drive along w/ the pto engaged & blow as much as possible back onto the lawn. I also sometimes hold the handheld blower in my right band while using the mower & have double the power. If there's a lot of heavy stuff or wet stuff, I've found the BR600 works best on its own.

tjsquickcuts
08-19-2007, 09:30 AM
Well I hate when the winds are swirling....like friday....Lucky most of my lawns are 2.5 to 3 inches and are cut weekly so debris is minimal.....But nevertheless, edging always puts grass on the streets and drive ways....I just try my best to get it on the grass, and then blow it around....sometimes its not all that easy, and have me wishing I had a bagger....and the bad thing with me, we have a lot of neighborhoods where we have a bunch of homes in a row....But we try our best to make sure the curb is clean, and even have to clean off a few other curbs because of flying grass....

What I hate is when I make a pass on the mower and the shoot is facing the wind direction......

Accu-cut Lawn Care
08-19-2007, 10:21 AM
Use windy days to your advantage while cleaning up. Just blow downwind. It may piss off the neighbors; but if its blowing 40mph, the clippings are going to end up in another zipcode.

Landscape89
08-19-2007, 02:44 PM
I hear ya.. Trying your best to clean up after a lawn maintenance job is one thing when its windy, but when your doing a fall clean up it can become one aggrivating day very quickly no matter how hard you try! :dizzy:

KTO Enterprises
08-19-2007, 03:33 PM
Well I hate when the winds are swirling....

It seems like the wind does that more than anything during oak leaf season here.

Nothing like getting a nice line of leaves headed in one direction with the wind and all of a sudden the wind turns around and comes at you messing the whole works up.

Woody82986
08-19-2007, 04:50 PM
Nothing pisses me off quicker in this business than windy days and having to blow against the wind. There is almost nothing you can do about it and it sucks. It's like mother nature is bored and wants to laugh a little watching me try to blow something the way I need it to blow and she just laughs and blows a little harder against me... haha

KingOfCupCar20
08-19-2007, 06:04 PM
windy days suck i just blow as best i can and if there are still a few blades, no big deal since with the crazy wind that is going, that stuff will be blown away 20 min after you leave the site

S man
08-19-2007, 06:33 PM
A real pain is when blowing after a small lawn and have the wind blow the grass on to mr. pickey's yard.

Daddy Joes Lawn Service
08-20-2007, 10:31 AM
I had one the other day i blow one way the wind would change i blow the other way the wind would change. Pain in the but!

tjsquickcuts
08-20-2007, 11:07 AM
A real pain is when blowing after a small lawn and have the wind blow the grass on to mr. pickey's yard.

Man, do I feel your pain on this....I have a guy that sits outside while we are out making sure we are not blowing, or mowing into his lawn....It really doesn't bother me until its windy, and he's about to go nuts because the wind has blown some grass onto his crappy ass lawn....well I wont hate, for a homeowner his lawns looks pretty good but thats only because he tries to imitate my program....But he will walk over and try and tell me guys where they got grass and watch them blow it off of his lawn....Sad guy, but lately I have been fooling him, because I switched days for this account, and come at different times so lately we haven't been seeing him....and yes, I do have to urge to blow or even side shoot ever thing out on his lawn...but I am trying to keep the peace with this guy....We have had words on a few different times, but I always try and be very calm and collective....even though I just wanna mash this guys face in....

mdlwn1
08-20-2007, 12:39 PM
"A few hours after finishing for the day, I thought of possibly blowing everything from the curb and driveway onto the lawn before mowing and then sucking it up with the mower? Im sure to you guys wind is a nightmare as well. Just wanted to see everyones thoughts. " The fact that most people never do this is laughable.