PDA

View Full Version : perennial vs annual rye

stimpy
08-19-2007, 07:30 AM
Ive picked up a couple of irrigated burmuda lawns that will be overseeded this fall and was curious what the mowing frequency would be in the winter. Perennial rye vs annual. I am in charlotte nc. Day time temps run 40 to 60 and soil temps bottom out at 48 to 52

grassmasterswilson
08-19-2007, 08:32 AM
i don't think it is worth the money for perennial rye since it doesn't seem to come back each fall here in nc. annual rye is fairly cheap about $20 a 50 lb bag. be careful with thach from the rye it could damage a good bermuda yard. Also if the bermuda is very thick you may have some germination problems with the rye.

Bigolbigun
08-19-2007, 09:49 AM
Perennial rye is more expensive but it looks soooo much better. It covers great and comes in thick. Here in Texas I will over seed at the end of Aug. or the first few weeks in Sept. The mowing frequency is once a week here until around Thanksgiving. After that once every two weeks will keep it looking good until spring. Then it's back to every week. The key to getting the rye to germinate is to scalp the Bermuda before seeding it. Then daily light watering for the first 10 days. I know it looks funny to have a scalped brownish yard for a few weeks but the payoff is a lush green yard all winter and spring. And to me green = $$$. JMO. If your interested I could post some pics of the rye yards I over seed.

stimpy
08-19-2007, 04:18 PM
Thanks guys. Looks like annual gets cut weekly and perennial bi weekly. Bigolbigon ive seen perennial but never paid attention to how fast it grows or if its as messy as annual. I assume your climate/weather is like ours. Do you scalp and overseed before burmuda goes dorment.

grassmasterswilson
08-19-2007, 04:25 PM
here in eastern nc we seed annual rye in october. don't fertilize it unless you want to cut it twice a week. it grows very fast here and clumps up under the deck even if you bag.

ed2hess
08-19-2007, 05:28 PM
Thanks guys. Looks like annual gets cut weekly and perennial bi weekly. Bigolbigon ive seen perennial but never paid attention to how fast it grows or if its as messy as annual. I assume your climate/weather is like ours. Do you scalp and overseed before burmuda goes dorment.

First on the point of annual...you will regret using it...it grows wild in spring and sometimes weekly visits aren't enough and it will lap over itself and become ugly...use perennial. We cut the bermuda down to the ground in late Sept after cutting off water for a couple weeks(usually 90F) and then spread the rye. Water it 3 times a day and it is up in 7 days. Stripping it to the ground is work but we simply sidedischarge then rake it and bag. Then we use our bagger machines to clean up what is left......before you ask it is very fast to sidedischarge and rake and very very slow to bag with machine and dump constantly.

lawnspecialties
08-19-2007, 05:29 PM
grassmasterswilson is pretty much on the money, here.

Another point for the bermuda. If this is sod like Tifway 419 (very common choice around here), it does not like being overseeded with ryegrass. Yes, it looks great if the bermuda isn't too thick and you get good germination, but unless the customers insist, I'd let it skip a winter or two from time to time.

EagleLandscape
08-19-2007, 06:57 PM
Annual is cheaper, but you will need to mow it atleast twice a week. it'll tear up your equipment and you'll regret seeding it.

As for the perennial, charge it to your customer, and reap the benefits of less frequent mowing.