PDA

View Full Version : Tall Fescue

dmp
08-19-2007, 12:39 PM
My lawn is slowly being taken over by tall fescue and I don't want to have to kill the whole lawn to get rid of the tall fescue. I was told that there is an ingredient that you mix with an herbicide that will help the mixture "stick" to the taller fescue (killing the fescue only) so that it doesn't't drip down to the other grasses that I want to keep. I understand that this has to be applied manually and that is not a problem for me to do. However, I am having an impossible time finding the ingredient to mix the herbicide with. Can anyone offer some help.

Thanks in Advance,
Dennis

Nosmo
08-21-2007, 09:17 PM
It doesn't look like you are going to get an answer to this one so I'll try to help you .

I don't know of any product made especially for use as a surfactant (sticker) just for tall fescue. Usually a tablespoon of liquid soap will work with any herbicide.

Now for your tall fescue problem. You didn't mention what your main grass is but I'd pick a herbicide recommended for use with your grass to do as little yellowing or burning as possible.

I hope this will help you.

Nosmo

cgaengineer
08-21-2007, 11:03 PM
How about Image...they sell the homeowner stuff at WalMart and it will kill fescue. Its about $30 and covers 8000 sq ft.

dmp
08-22-2007, 09:54 AM
Nosmo - thanks for the assist. As for my other types of grasses that would be blue grass (main), fescue and rye. I didn't know that there are herbicides that can be used that won't kill every type of grass when trying to just kill the Tall Fescue. Do you know of one that won't kill the blue grass?

Regards,
Dennis

Marcos
08-22-2007, 03:16 PM
First of all, I have my doubts as to the identity of what you're talking about.
Questions to clarify-Has this weed popped up very quickly this summer, is more prevalent along sidewalk edges and cracks, and has a "crow's foot" seed head or a "foxtail" seed head, Or has it been "around" in the same spots for years? Does it's very SOFT leaves grow laterally into the turf, making it hard to mow, or does it grow upright and (this time of year) have very COURSE blades? I honestly think you're talking about crabgrass! Can you send a picture? If you are indeed having a problem with tall fescue and the prominant turf is bluegrass, you can use Corsair to selectively take out fescue. But- the growing conditions have to be good (not 95 degrees) and you have to figure on multiple applications over a couple months. If you are a homeowner, you'll find great sticker shock on a little bottle of Corsair that will treat one ACRE ! You can go the Riverdale site
(I think) to look at the label.
If it's crabgrass, join the club.

Nosmo
08-23-2007, 06:43 AM
Dennis: If you have a Lesco dealer or a seedhouse in your city I think you should take a couple samples of what you want to get rid of and what you want to keep. Those folks can advise you .

If possible take a photo (closeup) and post it and I'll almost bet my next check somebody will know what you have.

Myself I use MSMA (crabgrass killer) on crabgrass and dallisgrass in a bermuda lawn. It's selective and won't kill the bermuda unless it's mixed too strong.

Nosmo

mlong30
08-31-2007, 02:38 AM
Nosmo - thanks for the assist. As for my other types of grasses that would be blue grass (main), fescue and rye. I didn't know that there are herbicides that can be used that won't kill every type of grass when trying to just kill the Tall Fescue. Do you know of one that won't kill the blue grass?

Regards,
Dennis

Hi dmp,

I'm located in Indianapolis, Indiana with the same issue!

I want to add to what Marcos suggested. You need to identify the type of weed you are trying to kill first. My yard has been a mess for the last 8 years. I just figured out that I have Tall Fescue mixed with KBG. I've been using the Scotts program in the past, but for the type of weeds, and grass I have. Scotts wasn't working:dizzy: . Today I purchased Corsair from my local Lesco dealer for $126.18. Yes its expensive, but I'm desperate now. The Lesco dealer suggested that I can't seed for at least 21 days after using this product. Which works out great because the fall doesn't start until Sept 22, so hopefully I will have the yard I want next year. I will spray the Corsair on my yard tomorrow!:cool2: The temps have been dropping out of the 90 range for the past week. Next week I'm looking at 75-85 temp!

According to the label, it kills Tall Fescue, Ryegrass, Virginia buttonweek, wild violets, chickweed, purslane, wild onions, wild garlic, and others.

http://www.tinkertimes.com/Photo/corsair_front.jpg
http://www.tinkertimes.com/Photo/corsair_side.jpg

Matt