PDA

View Full Version : Zero Turn: 48" vs. 60"

mikegbuff
08-19-2007, 02:37 PM
Everyone:
I am trying to decide between a 48" zero turn and a 60" zero turn. Most of the yards I mow are between 1/2 and 1 acre with a few that are 1/4 acre. I could use my 48" walk behind on the 1/4 acre lots if the 60" is too big for these. There are not any places a 60" would not fit on these yards. Is a 60" too big or would I encounter any problems using this bigger mower? I do not really need the bigger size, but I'm just thinking it may save me a few minutes on each yard. I'm looking at Lesco brand mowers and it's only $600 more to get a 60". I'm just trying to think ahead and the 60" would be beneficial if I ever have larger properties. Please let me know what you think and any cons of buying a bigger mower for these size lots. Thanks.

Bare30
08-19-2007, 04:02 PM
I just bought a 48" SCAG and it works great but in small areas it is still too big. but one yard I mow is large w/ nothing to go around so a 60" would be great here. My advice would be buy as big as you can afford.

delphied
08-19-2007, 04:18 PM
I was told to buy the biggest mower that will fit in the yards you cut. That made sense and I bought a 66. Im glad I got the big one.

lawnprosteveo
08-19-2007, 05:51 PM
Ive always felt that a 36 or a 48 was fine for anything 1/2 acre or less. Sure a 60 would be faster, but I know guys who buy the bigger Z's only to park them at the curb and mow with a 36 walk behind. I guess it depends on whats best for most of your yards. But for me, 1/2 acre or less, I'll stick with a 36 or 48.

mowingtowing
08-19-2007, 08:28 PM
I would go with (and do mow with) 60", as long as you have a 21" to get into tight spaces or back yards with a small gate. Also, if you get a 60", be sure to have around a 23 horsepower engine to power it.

smcunningham
08-19-2007, 08:36 PM
60" for reasons aready stated

supercuts
08-19-2007, 08:43 PM
Ive always felt that a 36 or a 48 was fine for anything 1/2 acre or less. Sure a 60 would be faster, but I know guys who buy the bigger Z's only to park them at the curb and mow with a 36 walk behind. I guess it depends on whats best for most of your yards. But for me, 1/2 acre or less, I'll stick with a 36 or 48.

ultimately its up to you and depends on how efficient you are and want to be. i completely disagree with this guys statement. i cut a 20'x20' lawn with my 60" ZTR. it does a great job and takes less time than my 48 WB. so why would anyone want to take longer if they have the tools available?? i say go big or go home. reason being its more efficient and that is more dollars per hour. i didnt become a landscaper to make $15/hr after expences. i left a job at much more than that to cut grass. i want at least $40/hr for my time, troubles, and risks taken to have a business. also, have you noticed most of the big companies run 60" mowers. there is a reason for that.

the bigger mower will go places you never thought imaginable. when you get good at it you can go anywher. hills, tight places, you name it. and its very fast. much faster than a 48. spent the extra few hundred. you'll be happy. again, its your business, make the descion you feel is right

IHusky
08-19-2007, 09:08 PM
concur, bought 48 and wish would have went 60 or bigger. Why get a 48 ztr if you already have 48 wb.....go big.

Envy Lawn Service
08-19-2007, 10:55 PM
The 60" lesco will floor you at how much more it can produce than a 48".

Well worth the $600 premium by far.

D@mn fine machine.

YoungGun
08-20-2007, 01:59 AM
MAn 2 years back when i was going big i was between a 52 or a 61 and i was set on the 52 cause i only did residential at the time every day sence i kicked my self.... think ahead what you will want in 2 years when you have 4 lawns to do in 2 hours the 12 inches make a big difference GO BIG MAN UP

topsites
08-20-2007, 02:49 AM
48" decks are for Wb's, Z's are wide open machines and not for mickey mouse stuff. You better think before you buy it, they're not cheap to operate and you really need a good dozen acre+ lots already on your schedule, not to mention the whole amount in cash savings. The hog will consume twice the fuel of your Wb easily, it will reduce your truck's mpg noticeably, plan at least $20 a week extra in fuel, and they're really only cost-effective on BIG lots (an acre and up, the bigger the better - smaller lots the Wb is best).

They're not all they're cracked up to be, sitting down isn't that much more comfortable vs. riding a velke, your spine gets slapped.
They take time, and practice to master, it's not as easy as it looks, even once you're half good with it, it's like yeah, a luxury in disguise.
Not trying to scare you but it's a big burden, $234 a month may not sound like much but I feel it, 3 years of that as well.
Winter, summer, good times, hard times, finance companies don't care, your monthly payment please?

But yeah, don't buy a 48" deck on a Z.
60" fohteh win

mikegbuff
08-20-2007, 08:13 AM
The 60" lesco will floor you at how much more it can produce than a 48".

Well worth the $600 premium by far.

D@mn fine machine.

I've been real impressed with Lesco brand stuff. It looks like you like their stuff too. Have you had any issues with any of it? Is there any concern about the availability of parts in the future since John Deere purchased Lesco? I've wondered what Deere will do with the Lesco product line?
Anyone else have an opinion?

Thanks everyone for your help.

TNT LawnCare Inc.
08-20-2007, 08:24 AM
You'll love the Z when you've been working all day in 97 degree plus temps all day long. Walkbehinds are for small properties and hills Z's riders are not hard to master,just dont be in a big hurry. The 60 Z is perfect ,i would not get a 48 Z if you already have a 48 W.B.

delphied
08-20-2007, 08:42 AM
I have a 44 Toro WB and a 66 Exmark. The only time I use the 44 is when it is easier than using the 66 which is only on very very small lots or lots with odd obstructions. I love both mowers and the 66 is not too big so I would go with the 60 hands down and carry both on the trailer.

supercuts
08-20-2007, 05:54 PM
48" decks are for Wb's, Z's are wide open machines and not for mickey mouse stuff. You better think before you buy it, they're not cheap to operate and you really need a good dozen acre+ lots already on your schedule, not to mention the whole amount in cash savings. The hog will consume twice the fuel of your Wb easily, it will reduce your truck's mpg noticeably, plan at least $20 a week extra in fuel, and they're really only cost-effective on BIG lots (an acre and up, the bigger the better - smaller lots the Wb is best).

They're not all they're cracked up to be, sitting down isn't that much more comfortable vs. riding a velke, your spine gets slapped.
They take time, and practice to master, it's not as easy as it looks, even once you're half good with it, it's like yeah, a luxury in disguise.
Not trying to scare you but it's a big burden, $234 a month may not sound like much but I feel it, 3 years of that as well.
Winter, summer, good times, hard times, finance companies don't care, your monthly payment please?

But yeah, don't buy a 48" deck on a Z.
60" fohteh win

when you say it uses twice as much fuel you also need to think about productivity as well. the mower is also twice as fast! so in the end it evens out. think of it in terms of a bus. a large greyhound bus might only get 4mpg. but take that times 50 passengers, its pushing 200mpg. much better than 50 people in their own cars. i also dont recall him saying anything about comfort. yes, they are easy to use, hard to finess, but its not like its impossible. sounds like this guy got bit by the "i cant run an efficient business" bug.

mikegbuff
08-20-2007, 07:11 PM
So what do you guys honestly think about the quality of Lesco equipment? It is about 10-15% cheaper from what I can tell. What about the availability of replacement parts - can you find these easily, or just through Lesco primarily? Wonder why they only offer 1 year warranty on their stuff?
Thanks to everyone...you have been a big help with your different opinions.

delphied
08-21-2007, 09:57 AM
Personally, Lesco never even entered my mind when I bought. I dont advocate overspending but I only buy the best equipment. Or what I think is best. I say that if you cant buy what youwant then wait til you can. That was why I started with a 44 walk behind and a used one at that. I do like the idea of the Quick 44 but you need to be able to fix it or know someone who can if something goes wrong.

mikegbuff
08-21-2007, 10:07 AM
Does the Lesco equipment have a bad rap or were you just unfamiliar with it?

Envy Lawn Service
08-21-2007, 01:32 PM
I've been real impressed with Lesco brand stuff. It looks like you like their stuff too. Have you had any issues with any of it? Is there any concern about the availability of parts in the future since John Deere purchased Lesco? I've wondered what Deere will do with the Lesco product line?
Anyone else have an opinion?

Thanks everyone for your help.

So what do you guys honestly think about the quality of Lesco equipment? It is about 10-15% cheaper from what I can tell. What about the availability of replacement parts - can you find these easily, or just through Lesco primarily? Wonder why they only offer 1 year warranty on their stuff?
Thanks to everyone...you have been a big help with your different opinions.

Well, I'll tell you straight up....

Before, the only thing I thought about the lower price was that I allowed it to scare me away. That and the distance to Lesco for me (80 miles one way).

After paying big bucks for several of the name brand Z's and being unimpressed with the machines and the service after the sale, all that fell by the wayside.

Now, in my opinion, the Lesco ZTR's are now the best there is available for an all-around machine. The best from all that I have ran anyways.

Once you get them dialed in to suit you, they do everything well and do not let you down when the conditions change. They are a breeze to service and the reliability is extremely high.

The fact they cost less is just an added bonus.

The machines are true work horses, and now I am FORCED to have to look at the numbers and the cost effectiveness when I consider adding more machines. I've always looked at it in the past that the cost of the machine is only a small piece of the puzzle. But now that I'm successfully running the cheaper machines... 'another' machine would have to offer me something way more of a bonus in performance to justify the additional cost.

I have no idea what to expect since John Deere bought out Lesco. But I do know that really nothing has changed 'so far'. I also know that Lesco sold their interest in Commercial Turf Products (which builds me equipment) some time ago. Part of the sales transaction included a fixed 5 year contract to supply equipment and parts.

But really, if everything just blows up there... you can still get parts from any Cub Commercial dealer, get the engine stuff/service from any Kawi dealer, and get the drive stuff/service from any servicing hydrogear dealer. The only thing is that you might have to pay a bit more for parts because Lesco doesn't try to rob you on parts, etc...

delphied
08-21-2007, 01:59 PM

In my opinion, The brands for Wb would be in this order: Exmark,Toro,Skag,Wright. For riding Z turn: Exmark, Skag, Toro, JD. If I wanted a Stander I would buy the Wright, not Jd Great Dane or any other.

All makes are good but in my opinion these would give the best cut and quality.

I tested a Lesco and Im not sure but I think they are a Cub Cadet Tank in green. I may be wrong.Few people on here recoomend Cub Cadet and so why would the Lesco be any better.

This site is your best guide for learning the products and this business. You need to figure out who and what to believe on here and go with it. I would take whatever any dealer told me with a grain of salt. Try to talk to lawncare owners in your area to see whats used in your area most. In my area, Exmark is on most of the trailers. When
I bought my equipment, I didnt want to wish I would have bought something else so I went with what I felt was best. After you buy, you learn the good and bad qualities of your equipment and you deal with it. Give me a private message with your tele number and I ll help you out if I can. GL

MTR999
08-21-2007, 03:01 PM
In my opinion, The brands for Wb would be in this order: Exmark,Toro,Skag,Wright. For riding Z turn: Exmark, Skag, Toro, JD. If I wanted a Stander I would buy the Wright, not Jd Great Dane or any other.

All makes are good but in my opinion these would give the best cut and quality.

I tested a Lesco and Im not sure but I think they are a Cub Cadet Tank in green. I may be wrong.Few people on here recoomend Cub Cadet and so why would the Lesco be any better.

This site is your best guide for learning the products and this business. You need to figure out who and what to believe on here and go with it. I would take whatever any dealer told me with a grain of salt. Try to talk to lawncare owners in your area to see whats used in your area most. In my area, Exmark is on most of the trailers. When
I bought my equipment, I didnt want to wish I would have bought something else so I went with what I felt was best. After you buy, you learn the good and bad qualities of your equipment and you deal with it. Give me a private message with your tele number and I ll help you out if I can. GL

10 years ago, eXmark is king, but now can't claim that. You forget Gravely 100 & 200 series, Hustler and Ferris, they are as good and better than eXmark now. In WB section, I agree the ECS is really top dog but also again, Gravely, and Stander are neck to neck with eXmark now. Things changed.

petekief
08-21-2007, 03:44 PM
get the 60" Lesco - you will NOT regret it - it's agreat combo coupled with your 48" w/b - i think a 60" z and a 36" w/b would be an ideal combination (sometimes my 48" is a little too big and i have to get out the 21" - i don't like that much) if i had a bigger trailer (and the money) i'd carry a 60"Z a 48"w/b and a 32" w/b - but thats just me

Envy Lawn Service
08-21-2007, 04:41 PM
10 years ago, eXmark is king, but now can't claim that.

Ain't that the truth!

See these other companies... they won their share of the market back then and RELAXED.
Meanwhile, these other companies needing business have passed them by.
Those loyalists are sold on them and have no clue what they are missing.

I have an eXmark too, and it's a nice machine... smooth, low vibration, etc...
But it not anywhere near in the same league when it comes to all-around performance or productivity.
Cub/Lesco has left them and many others far behind.

dave k
08-21-2007, 05:52 PM
I just started a thread with the sale prices of the Z TWO's from Lesco, pretty good prices.

MTR999
08-21-2007, 09:55 PM
Ain't that the truth!

See these other companies... they won their share of the market back then and RELAXED.
Meanwhile, these other companies needing business have passed them by.
Those loyalists are sold on them and have no clue what they are missing.

I have an eXmark too, and it's a nice machine... smooth, low vibration, etc...
But it not anywhere near in the same league when it comes to all-around performance or productivity.
Cub/Lesco has left them and many others far behind.

Envy, I said king because they are what MOST lco using back then, may be cheap or popular who knows or cares, now they are barely sold on floor, you know it and I know it.

delphied
08-21-2007, 10:16 PM
10 years ago, eXmark is king, but now can't claim that. You forget Gravely 100 & 200 series, Hustler and Ferris, they are as good and better than eXmark now. In WB section, I agree the ECS is really top dog but also again, Gravely, and Stander are neck to neck with eXmark now. Things changed.

I respect everyones opinion. The fact is that Exmark prolly outsells all other brands combined in my county. As for a Lesco, test drive both and see for yourself. I did and bought Exmark.