PDA

View Full Version : rented an auger attachment today...

bobbyg18
08-19-2007, 08:33 PM
how do you guys like the auger attachment for drilling holes for sona tubes and footings?...it was my first time using this attachment and it didnt work out that good...i basically wasted $150 bucks...

i ended up using my mini backhoe attachment, had to make the holes bigger and made more work backfilling etc. but it went much faster than the auger...the rocks werent even that big, maybe basketball size at the most and most were even smaller...

another lessosn learned...

tthomass
08-19-2007, 09:01 PM
Augers are no good with rock. Sometimes you can keep hitting them and it will turn them up.

Hey, got a picture of your hoe attachment? I'm looking at one (a few posts down) but haven't decided yet. Usually I just go with a mini ex if I need a hoe.

ksss
08-19-2007, 11:24 PM
Rocks the size of basketballs? What do you think that auger is going to do with rock that size? You should have just backhoed them out to start with assuming you knew the type of material you were in. Generally they are not made to handle rock that size. Anytime the rock encountered is larger than the space between the auger flitting you will have problems. There are augers made to go into heavy rocks but they are very expensive.

SiteSolutions
08-20-2007, 12:45 AM
I bored through 14" of mortar last week. Took a long time. It was right up against the foundation and the brick, so it was stationary. Rocks the size of basketballs would probably not be the type of thing I would use an auger for. But you didn't waste the $150; you spent $150 to learn the capabilities of the auger. Salesmen always BS you, as do print ads, etc... so there's usually only one way to know for sure. At least you just rented it and didn't buy the thing. If you're not trying new things, you're not innovating.

Scag48
08-20-2007, 12:53 AM
Augers for sonotubes aren't too bad, we did almost 30 holes for lightpole sonotubes a couple weeks ago. The only problem with this process is that the hole has to be perfectly vertical or the tube won't go in right, etc.. And, we had to make sure we met perfect elevation, so it was a bit of a challenge getting them shored up correctly.

bobbyg18
08-20-2007, 12:08 PM
the big rocks were down a few feet...customer said it was an old farm so my thought was it would be pretty clean

anyways, i'll just use my the mini hoe in the future for these type of jobs...here is a pic of it

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b7d636b3127cceba6d1ed69faf00000026108AbNmTdm0YtT

JDSKIDSTEER
08-20-2007, 05:22 PM
I bored through 14" of mortar last week. Took a long time. It was right up against the foundation and the brick, so it was stationary. Rocks the size of basketballs would probably not be the type of thing I would use an auger for. But you didn't waste the $150; you spent $150 to learn the capabilities of the auger. Salesmen always BS you, as do print ads, etc... so there's usually only one way to know for sure. At least you just rented it and didn't buy the thing. If you're not trying new things, you're not innovating.Ouch...us salesman's have feelings you know.

SiteSolutions
08-21-2007, 12:01 AM
Ouch...us salesman's have feelings you know.

I *meant* all salesmen except JDSKIDSTEER!
:laugh:

SiteSolutions
08-21-2007, 12:02 AM
That's a sharp 185; how many hours? Looks like you take care of it.

How much did the little hoe set you back?

bobbyg18
08-21-2007, 09:13 PM
machine has 900 hours on it...

mini hoe was about $1300...works good for the way im set up, always stays on my trailer...bought it on ebay...golden bell is the brand...i had a Versatech brand before and that thing was terrible but this model is much more beefy and can dig further down- almost 6'...for the money it was worth it, ive done at least 10 smaller jobs w/ it so far...

JDSKIDSTEER
08-22-2007, 07:44 AM
I *meant* all salesmen except JDSKIDSTEER!
:laugh:I feel better now.:laugh: