PDA

View Full Version : how do you guys charge for core aeration

smcunningham
08-19-2007, 09:47 PM
I've read where some charge 3 times the amount they charge to mow a prop.
Generally does everyone charge by the sq '....if so how much do you all charge.

tjsquickcuts
08-19-2007, 10:30 PM
I charge twice the amount I charge for per visit service....

smcunningham
08-20-2007, 09:15 PM
bump.............

Grass Happens
08-21-2007, 12:42 AM
I also find out what it would be for a homeowner to rent the machine for a day, just so I'm not undercutting meself.

smcunningham
08-25-2007, 12:00 AM
any other input is welcome

Soupy
08-25-2007, 12:30 AM
$15 per K. $75 minimum which means anything up to 5K then $15 per K after.

Larger props get a price drop. I play this by ear, I'll go as low as $10 per K on the larger props that we do.

$15 extra per K for seed. Will go as low as $12 per K on the larger props.

smcunningham
08-25-2007, 12:51 AM
Soupy,
Do you just use a broadcast spreader and broadcast seed over the entire prop after you aerate it ?

Soupy
08-25-2007, 01:13 AM
I use a commercial tow behind aerator so I have some advantage.

Depending on the quality of existing turf I either Aerate and spread seed, or Aerate once seed all and aerate again, Or Aerate once Seed at half rate then Aerate again and seed again half rate.

I almost always double aerate, and with lawns in bad shape I will Aerate up to 4 times.

I can Aerate a lawn in about the same time it takes to cut, edge, trim, and blow.

smcunningham
08-25-2007, 01:19 AM
Soupy,
Thanks for the input.
-Shane

DiyDave
08-25-2007, 08:08 PM
$15-20/M. If they want seed 2Xcost. Fert adds about $5/M for 18-24-12. Questions: $5/per Attitude: free:drinkup:

smcunningham
08-25-2007, 11:39 PM
Hey Dave,
How have you been doing since I've seen you at the aution?
I think theres another one coming up. I'll find out on thursday
Still have that hillside mower, forget what it was, gravley i think...right.
-Shane

DiyDave
08-26-2007, 08:00 PM
Hey TLS been doin pretty good since the last auction. Mowed some grass, sawed some logs, all in all a good summer, considering the weather. We just got about 4 inches of rain in the last week, so all of a sudden- there's grass to mow again! Nevin has a couple of sales coming up I think labor day Friday he sells at Carroll co steam and gas show in Westminster. I know he sells at Fawn Grove, Pa on labor day, not sure if I'm going to that one, lots of aerating and seeding to do, might need to catch up. Anyway have a good one!:drinkup:

DiyDave
08-26-2007, 08:03 PM
Forgot to add- yes I still have the Dew- Eze hillside mower, sold the Gravely, McGrew and co bought the Gravely at the last sale-nuff said!:laugh:

kootoomootoo
08-26-2007, 09:23 PM
every year the same question is asked and the same guys tell the same bs. If they think they are getting $150 in volume to aerate an average 10K sized yard they are smokin it.

The same lawnsite veterans were getting x amount for this and y amount for that ...well they arent on lawnsite anymore and they arent in business anymore. They were getting x amount for that lawn and everyone believed them ...sure it looked good but they sold like the grand total of 3 of them.

TRUE.

DiyDave
08-26-2007, 09:32 PM
I have been getting a minimum of $15/m for the past 15 years, and do plenty of them. And I proudly proclaim that I wouldn't EVER vote for algore! No BS!:usflag: :usflag:

kootoomootoo
08-26-2007, 09:59 PM
Lets see if you are still here in 7 years.

DiyDave
08-26-2007, 10:06 PM
I wuz here first arguement! Haven't used that one since elementary school!:waving: :waving:

kootoomootoo
08-26-2007, 10:08 PM
I wuz here first arguement! Haven't used that one since elementary school!:waving: :waving:

TY you just proved my point.

smcunningham
08-28-2007, 01:03 AM
kootoomootoo,
How do you charge for aeration...and how much, if you don't mind sharing some imfo. I'm just trying to get a good range..I have a good idea what lco's in my neck of the woods charge..I don't want to sell myself short and be lowball-in

Soupy
08-28-2007, 01:31 AM
every year the same question is asked and the same guys tell the same bs. If they think they are getting $150 in volume to aerate an average 10K sized yard they are smokin it.

The same lawnsite veterans were getting x amount for this and y amount for that ...well they arent on lawnsite anymore and they arent in business anymore. They were getting x amount for that lawn and everyone believed them ...sure it looked good but they sold like the grand total of 3 of them.

TRUE.

I have been around for a while bud. If you look back at those old post I was charging $12 per K. I am now selling $15 per K and having no problems. I'm actually quit a bit cheaper then TGCL and Scott's. I have been signing Aerations everyday lately.

True the larger the prop gets the lower the price. But average city lawns get $15 per K. get up around 15-20K (depending on terrain) and the price goes back to $12. 30K and up goes to $10 but I mostly do 5-15K lawns with a few of the larger ones here and there.

I throw out 100 lawn signs around town and wait for the phone to ring. I actually plan on doing this tomorrow. The phone calls coming in now are referrals or past customers.

Don't get mad at us if you can't sell Aerations.

Grass Happens
08-31-2007, 04:26 PM
15$ per thousand square feet? I don't do a lot of aeration's, I also don't advertise much either, but I usually get ~75$ for 3000 sq ft lawns. Perhaps I am way to expensive...

kootoomootoo
09-01-2007, 04:10 PM
I have been around for a while bud. If you look back at those old post I was charging $12 per K. I am now selling $15 per K and having no problems. I'm actually quit a bit cheaper then TGCL and Scott's. I have been signing Aerations everyday lately.

True the larger the prop gets the lower the price. But average city lawns get $15 per K. get up around 15-20K (depending on terrain) and the price goes back to $12. 30K and up goes to $10 but I mostly do 5-15K lawns with a few of the larger ones here and there.

I throw out 100 lawn signs around town and wait for the phone to ring. I actually plan on doing this tomorrow. The phone calls coming in now are referrals or past customers.

Don't get mad at us if you can't sell Aerations.

Dont worry I know I remember the old Primo posts etc etc . Sellign 1 at that price to an exisiting customer is WAAAAAAAY different than selling it on the open market.

I can sell aerations but selling 1 at the bragsite price doesnt work. If you think you can get $450 an acre .........$300 for a 30,000sqft lawn here IN VOLUME (your price not mine) then you havent got a chance.

I picked up a flyer just today 28,000 sq ft $50
LOCAL FIREFIGHTER

I get mad at the guys who cant back it up. Hence why the same guys dont post pics in the hardscape section anymore.

tthomass
09-03-2007, 07:00 PM
Curious, how many times are ya'll going over the yard with the aerator?

I do 4, when I do it.

smcunningham
09-08-2007, 01:01 AM
tthomass
Curious, how many times are ya'll going over the yard with the aerator?

I do 4, when I do it.

I'm kind of curios myself too...Anybody, sombody.:confused:

bigclawnman
09-10-2007, 05:00 PM
When you price a quote of the aeration, don't you quote a price for the seeding and feeding as well. I just got a bid for a 1/3 acre for $495. That is for aerating, seeding, feeding, and liming. It cost $50 to rent an aerater. 2 bags of seed for $62.50 ea ($130), lime is $60, fert ($25), he has some dead grass so $30 for dethatching it, about 4 hours of work = $200. I think I might be a little high in the labor. What do you guys think?

dcgreenspro
09-10-2007, 05:37 PM
I deal with lot of 1/4- 3/4 acre properties. Normally charge 10.00/M for aerifiying. Seed and fert are different depending on how bad the turf is. Nomally, it's double what I paid for fert and seed. That being said, some of my larger props, ie. 1-3 acre aerify for 7-9/M and seed and fert are both the same. My total renovation price is based largly on what kind of seed I use and how much I am using. But, my business isn't done in volume just 25-30 full sevice clients who sometimes don't want thier lawn renovated. So, adjust your prices accordingly.

STRINGALATION
09-11-2007, 11:59 AM
is every one renting the aerator or do some of you own one, that may be the reason for such a price variation. kinda like sod here. there is a coompany here laying sod who can lay it for less than what everyone can even buy it for. they where laying for 850 what i could not buy for less than 900

STRINGALATION
09-11-2007, 12:01 PM
oh yeah i know a guy who makes all of his aeration money renting out his two machines. just a thought

bigclawnman
09-11-2007, 05:15 PM
I am forced to rent mine. On big properties I am able to use a pull behind plugger, but residential I rent one. Hopefully next year I will be able to afford getting my own.

Indatreez
09-11-2007, 05:29 PM
aeration walk behind:
so would it be safe to charge here in denver colorado $40-60 per yard up to 5k sq/ft and $15 per every xtra 1k.?