PDA

View Full Version : How to do leaf clean-up?

Tyler7692
08-19-2007, 11:35 PM
Hi guys.

This is my first year (Not really, next year is when I'll actually be placing bids and advertising).

Anyhow, I have 10 properties that were brought to me by word of mouth, most between 1/3 to 1 acre. I have no equipment to do a leaf cleanup (Like a big vac rig).

I only have my 52" Bobcat ztr and blower and rakes. What should I do? I'm not raking all these lawns....that's ludicrous for their size. How would you handle cleaning up the leaves this fall?

lawnprosteveo
08-19-2007, 11:45 PM
Ive had good luck mulching the leaves. If you can get a mulching kit for your Bobcat, blow the leaves out into the yard and mow them up. Lots of horticulture depts at universities have done studies showing that this isnt harmful to the grass. I charge per man hour.
The good thing about this method, you already have the equipment and you dont have to go to the dump.

srl28
08-19-2007, 11:45 PM
Do you have a collection system/bagger on the mower? That would be best i think in your situation.. Otherwise blow the leaves out of beds and what not all into a pile in the lawn, mulch em up with the mower and collect that cause its then smaller and lighter.

Tyler7692
08-19-2007, 11:48 PM
No, unfortunately no collection system.

Steve, what all is included in a mulching kit?

Could I just cover the discharge opening on the deck and use a set of high-lift gator mulching blades?

Lynch Landscaping
08-19-2007, 11:50 PM
Get a strong backpack blower or a nice push blower thats what I use.

SKAPES
08-19-2007, 11:50 PM
Mulching leaves are a great idea. I used the mulch in beds.

lawnprosteveo
08-19-2007, 11:57 PM
No, unfortunately no collection system.

Steve, what all is included in a mulching kit?

Could I just cover the discharge opening on the deck and use a set of high-lift gator mulching blades?A mulching kit will have a discharge cover as well as baffles closing off each of the blades. Using a discharge cover alone will mulch but not nearly as efficiently as the whole kit. You will also leave a "slug trail" where its trying to spit out the leaves.
Several sites will have pics of a mulch kit...Toro and Scag do..Im sure others do to. The cost will be in the neigorhood of $200 or so.

Chilehead
08-20-2007, 01:03 AM
If customers want the leaves removed and NOT mulched, here's what I do: For a small yard I generally blow/rake the leaves and take them away in a tarp. For a big yard, I'll use my mower to make a pile or two of chopped leaves by driving it around in a spiral. I'll then use my tarp to remove them. It goes pretty quick this way, just make sure you have a strong back cause chopped leaves are fairly heavy.