PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have anything bad to say about the Kawasaki edger?

Keith
08-20-2007, 02:22 AM
I'm likely going to purchase a new edger later today. I have probably owned 15 of them over the years from various manufacturers. I think the Shindaiwa LE260's were always my favorites. They were comfortable, but like everything else they had their flaws. They are pretty much off the list because there are no Shindaiwa dealers in the area that I really buy from. Currently I have a couple of Redmax edgers, but I have never been overly satisfied with them. The clutch went out on one of them last week and I think I might step away from that brand for a while

The dealer I will be going to has Redmax, Kawasaki, Tanaka and Husqvarna. I've never owned any Kawi equipment, but I am thinking about the KEL27A...unless someone tells me something that I do not want to hear about them.

YoungGun
08-20-2007, 02:45 AM
i have shindaiwa and kawa edger and trimmer
but havent used the shindaiwa once in 2 years sence i bought the kawasaki s
man there weight to power ratio is amazing
there the ****
" a worker used staight gas in it before and i didnt catch it till it was on its 2ed tank still runs like a gem...
kawa hedger tooo

swingset
08-20-2007, 05:28 AM
There's something really bad about the Kawi edgers and all their trimmers for that matter, I don't have some yet.

lawnspecialties
08-20-2007, 08:21 AM
Like YoungGun said, the power is excellent. I have a newer RedMax 25 or 26 cc. I also have a one year old Kawasaki 26cc. I don't mind usind either one. But when it's a big overgrown job to be edged, the Kawasaki always gets the job. The power is considerably stronger than the similar RedMax.

naturescape
08-20-2007, 10:57 AM
I bought mine because of the light weight. Now it's for sale. It's TOO light. I've found my Echo has more weight on the gearbox which is required to hold the edger down. With the Kaw, I am always "fighting" it to hold it in the groove. From this experience, I'd say light weight is not important, or even good, in a stick edger. (Although the top end should be as light as possible.)

Doesn't really matter to me though, as now 90% of my edging is done with my Echo w/ Edgit.

YoungGun
08-20-2007, 11:16 AM
Swingset??? do you have history

Keith
08-20-2007, 01:06 PM
Honestly, the weight is what had me concerned. For lawns that have 35 beds scattered around, the light weight seems to make it the obvious winner. But I was wondering how hard it was going to be to keep the head planted on the ground when you have a few inches of St. Augustine running over a sidewalk.

I love my light weight string trimmers. I see no reason to keep anything much more than those on the trailer. But I do remember years ago, picking up what I remember being a Robin edger and it being really heavy. At the head especially. And I remember thinking how that thing must stay put when you put it on the ground.

I appreciate your replies. I might hold off a day or two, since I still have one properly working edger right now.

ed2150
08-20-2007, 04:16 PM
I've been using Kawasaki trimmers for 3 years and love 'em. I got a Kawi edger this year and think it does a fantastic job. As long as Kawasaki stays with their current design for trimmers and edgers I won't even consider anything else.

Rhinox29
08-20-2007, 08:44 PM
not one bad thing to say here. Love em

Keith
08-20-2007, 10:02 PM
Well, I thought I would have been able to find something today, but no luck.

I've been through this before. Our closest dealer is not really on top of their game. I usually deal with one place that is about 17 miles away, and the another that is about 25 miles away. I called those two instead of battling traffic only to be disappointed. And it's a good thing I did. The first one had nothing but one Echo in stock. No Kawi's. No Husky's. And no Redmax's. Unbelievable. I'm not a big Echo fan. I spent a lot of years with their equipment. Maybe it's top-notch now, but I'll pass.

I called the other place figuring they would have more in stock. Just Stihl. They carry other lines, but keep nothing in stock. I'm not terribly fond of this dealer in the first place, that goes way back. But I do purchase some stuff from them. I won't say anything bad about Stihl, I'll just say I'm not particularly looking for a Stihl right now.

One more chance. I went to the local place. They had several Echo's, but I've been over that. They are a Tanaka dealer, but only had a single hedge trimmer in stock. They could not even locate a current catalog or dealer's book with the Tanaka in it. The closest they could find was a distributor's sale sheet from 2005. I thanked them for their time and headed back to work.

So I called Travis down there in Texas and he told me exactly what was going to be wrong with the broke down Redmax. And he was right on the money. No damage to the clutch drum, just the shoes. So I am going to order the parts for that and read up some more on the current crop of edgers before I buy anything.

David Hartzog
08-20-2007, 11:43 PM
no no no no ho bo snow no

Primetime-SRQ
08-21-2007, 05:22 AM
I have been using mine for 4 months now, and I love it......

swingset
08-21-2007, 05:35 AM
Swingset??? do you have history

Huh? Not sure I understand your question.

naughty62
08-21-2007, 08:16 AM
Do a search or check on service and parts availabily before you buy anything.there is nothing like not being able to find new parts for a perfectly good machine.

fergman
08-21-2007, 03:33 PM
So I am going to order the parts for that and read up some more on the current crop of edgers before I buy anything.

sounds like the wisest decision you could have made bud. always red and find out things thourally before buying any piece of equipment :)

id still get the kawasaki trimmers but i dont know jack sheeet about the trimmers or blowers though.

MCLC
08-21-2007, 04:10 PM
There's something really bad about the Kawi edgers and all their trimmers for that matter, I don't have some yet.

Huh? Not sure I understand your question.

Very simple, you said "There's something really bad about the Kawi edgers and all their trimmers for that matter" but you did not explain why or contribute anything relevant to the thread.

petekief
08-21-2007, 04:25 PM
i think he was saying the only thing bad about them is he doesn't have one

petekief
08-21-2007, 04:29 PM
i have a string trimmer and the double sided hedge clippers - i will be buying the edger when i need to and looking at the backpack blower when that time comes as well - what i have work great - light - strong - easy starting - even when the hedge clippers sit for a while they start right up - good stuff i.m.o.

MCLC
08-22-2007, 11:36 AM
i think he was saying the only thing bad about them is he doesn't have one

Ups, my apologies to swingset

Stillwater
08-22-2007, 12:02 PM
I'm likely going to purchase a new edger later today. I have probably owned 15 of them over the years from various manufacturers. I think the Shindaiwa LE260's were always my favorites. They were comfortable, but like everything else they had their flaws. They are pretty much off the list because there are no Shindaiwa dealers in the area that I really buy from. Currently I have a couple of Redmax edgers, but I have never been overly satisfied with them. The clutch went out on one of them last week and I think I might step away from that brand for a while

The dealer I will be going to has Redmax, Kawasaki, Tanaka and Husqvarna. I've never owned any Kawi equipment, but I am thinking about the KEL27A...unless someone tells me something that I do not want to hear about them.

Yes we have a bran new one, picked it up at lesco, discovered a crack in the cover called lesco they replaced it immediately. when the new cover was installed, the screw right under the rubber spark plug boot was not tightened enough. it worked itself loose while in use and broke a couple of fins on the flywheel. so you might want to make sure that screw is tight. but it runs good starts right up and does what it is supposed to do. the kawi is not as durable as the Sthil. if I was to get one all over again I would Choose a Sthil. But I was at lesco they had it so I grabbed it I bought it out of convenience. But if I purposely went out shopping for one my choice would have been a Sthil over all others. This Kawi is marketed as a commercial tool but in my opinion it is a little on the less durable light side. The motor kicks but though I suggest a Sthil over the Kawi, But the Kawi is good I give it a 7.9 out of 10. the screw working loose is my fault not the tools fault.