PDA

View Full Version : $8 mow .. ya right.

causalitist
08-20-2007, 01:53 PM
so .. i gave a quote today for a 7000sqrft yard, fenced in so alot of trimming .. in a nice subdivision. told the guy $35. he said " oh ok, so is that per month?"

hahahahah!!!

i actually laughed and said no. I've never laughed at a customer while doing an estimate before, but i couldnt help it!

i pull up with a $3500 mower and $1200 in blowers and trimmers and he thinks i mow for $8.75 a pop

honestly it felt pretty good to tell him i charge 400% more than he thought and walk away.

Mrs. H
08-20-2007, 01:56 PM
Well, it is monday. Was it before or after the guy had his Starbucks?

Keith
08-20-2007, 02:13 PM
I've gotten that response before. But actually from someone that I had mowed for in the past. He was renting out the house he used to live in and was charging the tenant for lawn service, but had let it get a little overgrown. He wanted to know how much it would be to "knock down" the front yard. When they say "knock down" it makes the job seem so much easier doesn't it? :rolleyes: Anyway, I was cutting the one next door and I wasn't terribly busy, so I said I would "knock it down" for 25 bucks. And he asked..."$25 a month?" After he declined my $25, one time, right now offer, I had to go back and ask the tenant what he was paying. I think the tenant said they were paying him $100 a month for the lawn.

grassgirl4
08-20-2007, 05:41 PM
Had the same thing happen to me last year...lawn was about one-third of an acre w/fence and other obstacles to trim around...was also out of my way, so I figured in a little additional to cover extra time. I told them it would be $50, and the lady's son (who was getting the quote for his mom) said, "Okay, per month?" I professionally said, "No, per week," and I never heard back from him.

It can get disheartening, at times, when you take the time to go look at someone's place and give them a price, only to not get the business; however, in the long run, the customer base you do develop will be great--good payers, no haggle...that kind of thing.

topsites
08-20-2007, 07:48 PM
I hear you man, there's days I get like that and worse, but I am starting to understand customers are allowed to be uneducated, and it is up to the business representative to politely answer the questions, simple as that.

See because I walked into our local dealership today and all I needed was a spark plug for my trimmer, right?
Yes, one little plug, nothing else, guess how much?
He says: $ 7.50
Now if you were the customer, what would your reaction be?
Mine was: "gtfo are you serious I mean REALLY ??!?!?!"
Him "yeah man, sorry, everythings getting expensive"

I paid for it, walked on out, that's just how it is.

So I did want to pass on this tip:

"Is that per month?"
"no sir, that is per cut"
"omg wt*%&^' did you just now say PER CUT!?!!?"
"yes sir"
"Wow get outta here are you serious, did I hear you right?"
"yes sir, 35 dollars, per cut."

and so on...
After many years I am sloooowly beginning to learn, it does work better that way :laugh:

btw my signature is a joke, but it also translates to "it's never that easy, and if it is, then it's not worth it"

TNT LawnCare Inc.
08-20-2007, 08:01 PM
Had a women thee other day ask us to give her an estimate 9,500 SQ FT property toatly fenced and small in ground swimming pool built into the crest of a hill that slopes down her back yard ,not to mention a good amount of trimming. That will be $45 a cut mam. I thaught she was going to have a heart attack LOL. She said no more than $25 I told her good luck and have a great day !!

grassmedics
08-20-2007, 08:18 PM
i saw a guy advertising he would do cuts for $11 a week. my question is how the heck do they make a living?

Grits
08-20-2007, 08:28 PM
i saw a guy advertising he would do cuts for $11 a week. my question is how the heck do they make a living?

They don't.

Juan_Deere
08-20-2007, 09:22 PM

Easy. Volume. Think about it. You mow a lawn once per week. He mows a lawn once per week. At $11 a pop, 8 lawns a day, that is $88 per day, or $616 a week, or $2464 a month. Take away 30% for taxes and whatnot, and he is left with $1724.80 take home, provided his used beat up(but still work's fine) equipment is paid off. That leaves him $431.20 a week paycheck. Just a little less than the average salary. Throw in the wife's job making minimum wage, and they are golden. Add to that, $11 is probably just a start up cost, just to get the name out there, and he gets a bit more for extra services performed in addition to the mowing.

When you have very little to work with, and it is all you can do to make it work, you make it work.

Big Red
08-20-2007, 10:11 PM
No offense, but your crazy if you think a guy charging $11 a yard is paying taxes...

Keith
08-20-2007, 10:54 PM

It would be impossible.

The lowest dollar figure I ever remember guys charging when I got into business was $10...in 1985. That was the bottom dollar then. The cellar. The cheapest of the cheap. So low that I cringed when I heard someone mention that number, and I was 16 y/o. $10 then would be equivalent to about 20 bucks today.

Juan_Deere
08-21-2007, 08:56 AM
No offense, but your crazy if you think a guy charging $11 a yard is paying taxes...

You are most likely right. I was just giving an example of how much someone could still make, even if they were paying taxes. It would be rough, but it could be done. Especially if you don't have a new truck, 2 trailers, 3 mowers, 5 weed eaters, etc, etc.

ProStreetCamaro
08-21-2007, 09:49 AM
My fiances mother lives in a gated community in florida. When I was down visiting this summer she said she pays $35 a month and that includes 1 cut per week and also shrub trimming twice a year. She said the company does over half of the lawns in the community. I said I wouldnt cut it for less than $20 PER CUT and the shrubs would be $50 per trimming.

jsf343
08-21-2007, 10:10 AM

I agree. :hammerhead: :hammerhead:

GreenT
08-22-2007, 12:58 AM
My fiances mother lives in a gated community in florida. When I was down visiting this summer she said she pays $35 a month and that includes 1 cut per week and also shrub trimming twice a year. She said the company does over half of the lawns in the community. I said I wouldnt cut it for less than $20 PER CUT and the shrubs would be $50 per trimming.

Sad but true.

And the quality of the work is outstanding! :dizzy: :dizzy:

:waving:

Grits
08-22-2007, 02:52 AM

I'm glad the prices around my little chunk of Florida aren't like the rest of the state. Compared to what I hear about on this site, our prices are dang good. My lowest is $30 per week. Average is about $40 per week. Nothing over 1/4 acre. Most yards are less than 1/4 acre and a lot are about 1/8 acre. I recently raised my prices for new accounts and am still steadily getting customers, even this late in the season. Life is good. Hope it stays this way!

MTR999
08-22-2007, 07:21 AM

They comes and go every season, I have always noticed that new season, always new company does those lawns. You can't lower your price till you can't afford to run and make PROFIT. Trimming bush twice a year is a joke in a gated community? HOA will mail you letters. Those bushes grows like crazy every month, if you said, monthly trimming will be more realistic in FL. Like I said, every new season, new company, they don't last if property look like craps.

LushGreenLawn
08-22-2007, 07:47 AM
Juan,
What happens when his "beat up but paid off" Equipment breaks? Who has not had a piecce of equipment go down during the season? If he's putting everything he is making into paying the bills, he is stuck.

My wife does not understand why I gross so much and net what I do, or why I put back so much every week for a new mower and misc. equipment when everything we have is almost brand new.

You can't replace equipment making 11 per yard, even if your a criminal not paying taxes or having the proper licences to do business.

ProStreetCamaro
08-22-2007, 08:51 AM
Sad but true.

And the quality of the work is outstanding! :dizzy: :dizzy:

Maybe somebody may know where the community is at? It is Strawberry knolls community near Tampa.

GreenT
08-22-2007, 10:58 PM
Maybe somebody may know where the community is at? It is Strawberry knolls community near Tampa.

Unfortunately, that's just one in a million of comunities in FL where the competition is so high that everybody has to drop their pants to get any business.

Not me. I went the other way.

Signed 3 new accounts this week.