PDA

View Full Version : Weedeat or not?

wendicp
08-20-2007, 03:15 PM
We mow a 70acre police academy. On one side there is a huge hill where they do there shooting practice. We are having to weedeat this hill. You can't mow it because there is a chainlink fence that runs the perimeter at the end on each side. Do you have any suggestions? The walk-behinds aren't able to make it up the hill. Thanks

MarcSmith
08-20-2007, 03:25 PM
if there wasa gate could you get a mower on the hill or is too steep? If you can get a mower on the hill and the only thing stopping you is access, maybe you talk with the range master and talk about having a locked gate installed. explaining that it would help them lower their maintenance costs.
plus make fro quicker work and less range downtime

Another option would be to chemically mow with growth regs. or purchase a "flymo" mower.....

saw man
08-20-2007, 03:28 PM
I dont like to eat weeds!

But if I had to trim this area I would either use a regular trimmer or something similar to a DR Trimmer if that can make it on the hill.

wendicp
08-20-2007, 03:41 PM
We have access to the hill but it is too steep to mow. What kind of growth regulators would you use?

MarcSmith
08-20-2007, 03:45 PM
if you can't get a regular mower. than the flymo would work...only about 21" wide...they kind of "float" over the ground...

but embark would be the PGR of choice...

Turf Troll
08-20-2007, 03:52 PM
Marc,

What rate do you like to mix oz. to gal using embark ?

Runner
08-20-2007, 06:03 PM
The only problem with that, is that Embark does not work on weeds.

MarcSmith
08-20-2007, 06:19 PM
Marc,

What rate do you like to mix oz. to gal using embark ?

never used any PGR's, except on things like illiagnus and oleander in florida and that was a decade ago....But I'm sure there are a few people here who haves used mroe erscent PGR's and can better answer your question...

Runner
08-20-2007, 07:48 PM
I guess while we're at it, and you DO bring up a good suggestion,...we COULD look in to a mix of gly at the growth regulation rates.

MarcSmith
08-20-2007, 08:11 PM
the Gly would solve the selectivity of other pgr's

Richard Martin
08-21-2007, 05:22 AM
Yeah but you have to be extremely careful about application rates. My first try resulted in extremely regulated growth. As in "I think I see some green there somewhere". My yard, no biggie. 1 oz per gallon of Lesco Prosecutor. Too much.

HS Football Rules
08-21-2007, 07:03 AM
non-issue....weed eat during range practice...very quick and efficient!

:cool2:

MOW ED
08-21-2007, 08:31 AM
Have Hightower mow it:waving:
The PGR route sounds good to me as it doesn't seem like it is a manicured piece of grass. I have used Embark after spraying Ferromec on a test plot of my lawn with decent results. Embark is cheep and works pretty well. I use it along some fence lines where you don't want to white it out with round-up.