PDA

View Full Version : Transfer case leak...

mkwl
08-20-2007, 04:01 PM
I have a very slow leak on my transfer case on my truck. I took it into GM today, they said it'd be $890 (parts/labor) to repair it- it is a series of gaskets, seals and an insulator needed to fix the leak. The parts costs add up to $229- must be a h#ll of a lot of labor to fix it! Anyway- I wanted to see if you guys had had a similar issue, and the best way to fix it. Can a "no leak" product like golden eagle transmission leak stopper fix the problem, or is it worth the $890 to get it fixed by GM? What to you think?

Thanks,
Matt

mow king
08-20-2007, 04:32 PM
If it is that slow of a leak, then I'd just make sure everything is topped off and let it be.

mkwl
08-20-2007, 04:33 PM
It probably loses 3-5 drips per day on my driveway, seems to lose more when the oil is hot.

ALarsh
08-20-2007, 05:05 PM
Man that sucks. I'd watch it but have it fixed before winter hits. Wouldn't want to be stuck in the cold.

DLCS
08-20-2007, 05:33 PM
Don't mess with it, just keep a eye on it. If it gets worse then I would get it fixed. My '99 2500 leaked until the day I traded it. Also, don't add anything other than the recomended GM fluid and yes you have to buy it from GM. In order to fix it they must disassemble the transfer case and yes its alot of labor, been there done that. Are they sure on where its leaking? Reason I ask is because the rear output shaft seal on my '99 had to be changed twice due to "sweating". Dealer told me that its common problem.

mkwl
08-20-2007, 06:18 PM
Don't mess with it, just keep a eye on it. If it gets worse then I would get it fixed. My '99 2500 leaked until the day I traded it. Also, don't add anything other than the recomended GM fluid and yes you have to buy it from GM. In order to fix it they must disassemble the transfer case and yes its alot of labor, been there done that. Are they sure on where its leaking? Reason I ask is because the rear output shaft seal on my '99 had to be changed twice due to "sweating". Dealer told me that its common problem.

I was looking at it leaking- I don't think it is the rear output, as the leak is right near the 4x4 actuator towards the front of the case.

TXNSLighting
08-20-2007, 07:02 PM
your obviously not in warranty...DONT TAKE IT TO A DEALER! Much Much cheaper at a reputable garage.

mkwl
08-20-2007, 07:17 PM
your obviously not in warranty...DONT TAKE IT TO A DEALER! Much Much cheaper at a reputable garage.

True- the problem is there aren't a whole lot of reputable garages around me- anyone in Northern, NJ know of one?

Also- its leaking worse now (about 2-4oz/day) that the dealer took it apart and put it back together with the old gaskets- anyone know how much oil is in the case, and if it is okay to drive with it leaking?

mike lane lawn care
08-20-2007, 07:58 PM
my friend drove his GMC with a leaking front diff, and a cracked transfer case, it ended up destroying the 4x4 drive train. I would just bite the bullet and have it done.

lawnboy dan
08-20-2007, 08:15 PM
yet another reason not to buy a 4x4 truck for lawn service biz . just something else to go wrong esp on a gm

mike lane lawn care
08-20-2007, 08:35 PM
yet another reason not to buy a 4x4 truck for lawn service biz . just something else to go wrong esp on a gm

come live here, where you get snow and ice all winter long, after one year of using a 2wd, tell me that you don't need 4x4. and what about going into undeveloped land? gets difficult after rain in 2wd.

ALarsh
08-20-2007, 08:39 PM
Let the Florida boy talk. :laugh:

Up here you need it for plowing.

mkwl
08-20-2007, 09:09 PM
my friend drove his GMC with a leaking front diff, and a cracked transfer case, it ended up destroying the 4x4 drive train. I would just bite the bullet and have it done.

I'm gonna have it done, I jsut meant it should be okay to drive it until next Mon when I have it fixed.

mkwl
08-20-2007, 09:11 PM
4x4 is definitely a must up here- even if you don't plow, trying to get a 2wd truck through a blizzard on the way to an ambulance call 4 miles away isn't too much fun!

DLCS
08-20-2007, 09:16 PM
True- the problem is there aren't a whole lot of reputable garages around me- anyone in Northern, NJ know of one?

Also- its leaking worse now (about 2-4oz/day) that the dealer took it apart and put it back together with the old gaskets- anyone know how much oil is in the case, and if it is okay to drive with it leaking?

They took it apart and put it back together with the old gaskets? WTF Why didn't they just replace the gaskets when they put it back together? Did they charge you to take it apart, just to look? I'd get it done soon with that much oil leaking. Bone heads know better than to reseal it using the old gaskets thats just begging for trouble.

mkwl
08-20-2007, 09:26 PM
They took it apart and put it back together with the old gaskets? WTF Why didn't they just replace the gaskets when they put it back together? Did they charge you to take it apart, just to look? I'd get it done soon with that much oil leaking. Bone heads know better than to reseal it using the old gaskets thats just begging for trouble.

I'm not sure they took it totally apart, as they only had the truck for 3-4 hrs. They apparently took it apart enough to see what seals/gaskets were needed. I'm gonna get it done next Mon (when the parts are expected to be in)- does anyone know how much oil is in the case when its full?

lawnboy dan
08-20-2007, 09:49 PM
well i did live up north and had 4x4 trucks fro 20 years . i dont miss all the extra repair expence of operating one esp since they did away with locking hubs and solid front axels. you couldnt pay me to own a 4x4 now adays. if you want a 4x4 for personal use -fine but its a poor choice for a strickly work truck

Sydenstricker Landscaping
08-20-2007, 10:18 PM
mkwl, reference your owner's manual. It should have all the capacities in the back of it. I wouldnt imagine it would hold but a few quarts.

SiteSolutions
08-21-2007, 12:55 AM

I remember that post; it was an epic story.

mike lane lawn care
08-21-2007, 01:07 AM
I remember that post; it was an epic story.

and i still laugh at it, it belonged in that post someone made about "beyond stupid" with the over loaded vehicle. he just made another trip with it, and this time it actualy made it.