PDA

View Full Version : Are all my local Stihl dealers morons or is it just me??

chrisvinky
08-20-2007, 03:12 PM
I called several local dealers today asking for prices on the Stihl BR550 and 600, FS 90R, and several attachments to go on the FS 90 such as the hedge trimmer and edger.

NONE of the dealers had a clue as to what I was talking about. They all argued with me that the only product Stihl has that accepts multiple attachments is the Kombi system.

After telling them to get their product catalog and look on page 70, they said "huh, guess it does take attachments?"

I feel if these people are going to sell a product, they need to know what they are selling.

One dealer told me, "The only multiple attachment units we sell are the Kombi Systems"

When I asked how much the unit was they told me $289 for the head and $89 for the trimmer!:dizzy:

I said are you crazy, I can buy the FS90 for $299 - WITH THE HEAD!! And the attachments are the same price!!

He said " Yeah but with the Kombi Unit you can add the edger, broom, hedge trimmers, etc.."

I said "Yeah, you can on the FS90 too!!":hammerhead:

Am I being a butt about this or should they actually know their product lines???

Whats the use in buying the Kombi when the FS90 will accept attachments??
Someone enlighten me.

Nosmo
08-20-2007, 03:40 PM
My dad was a salesman for 52 years. He sold products on the road for many years -- repeat customers who were small business owners.

He told me a long time ago to sell you have to know your products.

Yes those people selling those Stihl products should be better versed in those products.

WhitakerServices
08-20-2007, 03:50 PM
the cheapest way I have found to buy the attachements is to get the kombi half shaft and attachment then toss the tube. It is actually cheaper than buying the attachment seperately. I am not sure about the fs90 but my fs85 ( solid shaft ) will accept any of the attachments. It is a great way to have many pieces of equipment if you are a small company. The articulating hedge clippers are awesome.

heybruck34
08-20-2007, 04:40 PM
WhitakerServices - can you explain what you guys mean? I have bought the Kombi attachments (for the KM85 or KM110) but I don't know what you are talking about "tossing the tube"...

thanks.

Juan_Deere
08-20-2007, 05:06 PM
No offense. I think the both of you are morons(you asked). The dealer is a moron for not knowing his products, and you are a moron for not realizing that most dealers don't know what you are talking about, because they probably don't sell very many of what you are referring to. In order to perform the swaps you are referring to, you need the allen wrench, time, and the patience to line it all up and tighten it down. I don't think that system was designed for quick changes in the field. I think it was designed more for people that are going to use one attachment for a few days, then switch over to another for a few more days, and so on and so on.

The kombi system is designed for the convenience of quickly and easily swapping over for everyday use. It is true that if you buy the combi system with one attachment, it isn't very cost effective. But throw in another attachment and you are definitely at a much lower cost than you would be, had you bought a seperate edger and a seperate trimmer. Throw in a few more attachments, and you are much more ahead of the game. In other words, with the combi-system, you are paying for the quick change over feature. Makes sense to me.

chrisvinky
08-20-2007, 05:42 PM
Juan Deere - thanks for being frank, but i still think they should know their product.

WhitakerServices - What do you mean by tossing the tube???

KTO Enterprises
08-20-2007, 05:56 PM
I swap heads between the string trimmer and the articulating hedger guite often. Only takes about 2 minutes.

Juan_Deere
08-20-2007, 06:02 PM
Juan Deere - thanks for being frank, but i still think they should know their product.

WhitakerServices - What do you mean by tossing the tube???

No problem. And I agreed with you. But the path of least resistance is the human way. What, or who do you remember most? The people and things you deal with everyday, or people and things you deal with once a year?

Juan_Deere
08-20-2007, 06:04 PM
I swap heads between the string trimmer and the articulating hedger guite often. Only takes about 2 minutes.

I swap trimmer and edger every Friday, Saturday, and Sunday on the KM85R. It takes about 10 seconds.