PDA

View Full Version : Walker wore out??

mathews
08-20-2007, 05:46 PM
My local walker dealer was telling me today that i needed to either trade up to a newer mower or sale my walker and buy a new one! It has approx 820hrs on it. He says it is about to start "nickel and diming" me.
Hm... Kinda makes me think, if this thing is only good for 800hrs, then ill jus sale this thing and replace it with something different. Anyways how well are yalls walkers holdin up?

KTO Enterprises
08-20-2007, 05:57 PM
A walker that is treated well will get a lot more hours than yours has on it.

mathews
08-20-2007, 06:08 PM
Well it isnt treatd "bad". Dont get me wrong i dont wax it or anything, But my smaller grasshopper (225) has 1300 hrs and ive replaced the clutch at 1200hrs and a pulley on it last year. Other than that just a belt here and there. Before ne sold them (grasshoppers) he talked about how they were junk, and now he is saying that its got another 1000hrs minimum left on it??

I jus feel he is tryin to yank my chain!?

KTO Enterprises
08-20-2007, 06:10 PM
Sounds like he is trying to get you to trade your mower in for less than it is worth, and sell you a brand new mower.

I have to say you dont see many used walkers for sale, And I think its because everyone that has one wants to keep it.

carcrz
08-20-2007, 06:19 PM
I've got about 800 hours on my 48" MTGHS & it still runs like a champ. Regular oil changes. I did have to change out the blower on it, but now it has a hardened one so I should be good now.

ed2hess
08-20-2007, 06:47 PM
These units will last a long time and can be refited with engines and hydro and keep in going.....just keep all 40 certs greased and those hydro fans clean and in good shape. I wasn't aware anybody ever traded in machines until I got on lawnsite...at local dealer they won't bother with them.

gene gls
08-20-2007, 08:06 PM
My local walker dealer was telling me today that i needed to either trade up to a newer mower or sale my walker and buy a new one! It has approx 820hrs on it. He says it is about to start "nickel and diming" me.
Hm... Kinda makes me think, if this thing is only good for 800hrs, then ill jus sale this thing and replace it with something different. Anyways how well are yalls walkers holdin up?

The normal wear items will have to be replaced nomatter what hours you have. It depends on the grass/sand mowing conditions you work in. I got 2900 hours on my 20Hp engin before I replaced it.

MOW ED
08-21-2007, 07:43 AM
1500+ hours on my 2000 MTGHS 26efi. The only thing to change soon is the starter but other than that no problems to really mention.

KS_Grasscutter
08-21-2007, 08:04 AM
Walkers last a LONG time if you let them. Friend of mine runs 3 48" Walkers, and one of them has over 4500 hours, on the original engine. My Walker MCGHS has like 330 hours on it (bought used about a month ago). I fully intend to get 3000 hours out of it at least. Walkers are NOT cheap machines, but they are built to last.

tallimeca
08-21-2007, 08:16 AM
there could be a huge difference in machines .

A machine with 800 hours could be in worse shape then a machine with 3000 hours.

As much as i think Walker has plenty of room for improvement........i don't believe 800 hours is a point where it will start nickle and diming you to death.

I would say more so after about 1500 hours would be where most start seeing problems.

Fan assemblies wear out, electrical components start to fail, engines could begin to fail, hydraulics begin to fail, drive shafts/u joints begin to wear, deck begins to get real banged up, usually warp. Have to put spacers under gearboxes to keep them from seperating and leaking, bagging system really starts to get beat up.

Remember, there is a big difference on hours.

I have guys that put 1000 hours on a walker in a season. By the end of the second year, they are ready for the bone yard.

I have guys that have 600 hours on a machine that's 5 years old and they look cherry. My question is, why buy a machine like a walker and spend 11k to only use it for like 100 hours a year.

The return on investment just isn't there in my opinion.

General Grounds
08-21-2007, 12:19 PM
:dancing: wow, i wish i only had 800 + hours on mine, i have 7357 hours on ours, replaced motor once as well as the blower that was the only major repairs ive had to do. i change the belts every year, and the machine gets reular oil changes using 10w30 mobil 1. the machine is also used everyday and is great. tony

mdlwn1
08-21-2007, 12:34 PM
I've seen many 16hp motors that were abused badly..... running 40hrs/week last 2500 hrs. I've also seen a few in 3000 hr range with the original motor