PDA

View Full Version : Exmark Triton deck

lawnguy001
08-20-2007, 09:24 PM
O. K you folks that mow in the south. I've heard all kinds of problems with the quality of cut with this deck. Does this apply to Fla. grasses like St Aug. and bahia types of grasses ? I 'm getting ready to buy one , but if it's a problem , I'll look for an Ultracut deck if they are still available. Opinions Pls.

WKT

tacoma200
08-20-2007, 11:57 PM
Most of the reviews from Florida, Texas, and most of the Gulf coast are positive. Most of the complaints have been from the Mid-west.

lawnguy001
08-21-2007, 08:42 AM
Thanks , tacoma200. Is the triton the only deck offered now , or can you still get the ultra ?

WKT

fergman
08-21-2007, 03:20 PM
you can get the ultracut in the as model just look at www.exmark.com. i dont live where you do but i absolutely not get a triton. i can mow a yard and it cut great then go to another one and doublecut it and it is still nowhere near the manicured cut that the ultra has. if you cant find an ultracut then id probly go with scag. ive owned a triton 66" 31hp and it was unbieleivably pathetic. ANYTHING would cut better. right now im using a demo 60" 28efi and its the new version with the extra baffle in the left chamber and the increased blade tip speed. you can mow 30 ft and it looks as good as the ultracut (almost) the the grass type changes and the cut quality goes completely all to hell. the ultracut is the absolute best around here and the scag seems to be the second best and its definately better for overgrown yards (as far as making speed) but it doesnt have the crispness smooth carpet look of the ultracut though. but it is plenty acceptable to any homeowner that i have met. BUT i have been mowing and took several peoples yards and charged more because there mower didnt cut as pretty as mine did to.

MTR999
08-21-2007, 03:50 PM
O. K you folks that mow in the south. I've heard all kinds of problems with the quality of cut with this deck. Does this apply to Fla. grasses like St Aug. and bahia types of grasses ? I 'm getting ready to buy one , but if it's a problem , I'll look for an Ultracut deck if they are still available. Opinions Pls.

WKT

Lawnguy, I am in Central FL, DON'T buy triton they suck especially Bahia if you have those low-end accounts, they stick like glue those lump clippings, and the cut on St. Augustine is okay if the lawn is not overgrown. eXmark only excels in ultra deck which is AS model right now. I would look Toro turboforce, Scag or Gravely, they cut like dream in Florida especially St Augustine. So far, no mowers under the sun has claimed to conquer Bahia lawns as you know it is for Turnpike median and expressway.

fergman
08-21-2007, 04:10 PM
Lawnguy, I am in Central FL, DON'T buy triton they suck especially Bahia if you have those low-end accounts, they stick like glue those lump clippings, and the cut on St. Augustine is okay if the lawn is not overgrown. eXmark only excels in ultra deck which is AS model right now. I would look Toro turboforce, Scag or Gravely, they cut like dream in Florida especially St Augustine. So far, no mowers under the sun has claimed to conquer Bahia lawns as you know it is for Turnpike median and expressway.

wow! i hope i never see a bahai lawn! sounds like it would really suck

T Total Lawncare
08-21-2007, 04:11 PM
Ditto on the Triton here. There alot of guys that run Exmark around here and none of them run the Triton deck. And as far as bahai goes if the Triton ain't got its mess together Bahai is gonna kick it's tail.

T Total Lawncare
08-21-2007, 04:14 PM
wow! i hope i never see a bahai lawn! sounds like it would really suck

It does and it's about all I see!

D & J Lawn Care
08-21-2007, 10:13 PM
I run a 46 exmark triton hp with mulch kit 19hp kaw. great on thick st.aug but on bahia i run my dixie chopper

bohiaa
08-21-2007, 10:20 PM
yea I'm in Texas and the St Aug, does well. But ya gotta keep sharp blades on it, St, Aug likes to get thick,

lawnguy001
08-21-2007, 10:40 PM
Thanks for all your responses. When I went to my local Exmark dealership and asked if there were any complaints about the cut , they looked at like I was crazy. I know now what to look for , even if it's a used machine. Thanks again.
WKT

MTR999
08-21-2007, 11:00 PM
Bahia is grass from hell, try to cut 2 week grown or turnpike with your any favorite mowers and take look at your underdeck, they stick like english cupcake! you have to scrape and dig it out no matter what!

gilatplc
08-21-2007, 11:30 PM
I have had 3 different mowers in my time, dixie, grasshopper,now exmark and I don't care what you owen if your cutting bahia it is a pain in the ass to deal with, ALWAYS keeping your blades SHARP, cleaning the deck like its never going to end, and never getting a "great cut" out of the lawn.
As for any other lawn Triton's are great on, I always get complements from neighbors after cutting st Augisten.

Big G

GreenT
08-21-2007, 11:58 PM

WKT

Have you considered Hustler?

Mine does great on Bahia.

:waving:

MuleCutter
08-22-2007, 09:13 PM
all responses are correct and i run a 19 hp 46 inch HP and a 31/66 XS.... i have a mulch kit with updated pulleys on both and i'm having problems with clumping. i can cut some yards with no clumps thrown out but some weeklys that i cut i have to pass over twice.... and that's cutting at no less than 3.5 inches. the kit for the higher blade speed doesnt really help it mulch any better than before. i did notice a difference in the ease of CUTTING the grass but as far as mulching.... NOTHING like the ultracut.

lasher66
08-22-2007, 10:49 PM
Exmark does have an update kit for the Triton deck. I know I am in Ohio with different grass, but I noticed a big difference after I got the update put on.

Jason