PDA

View Full Version : Dead Battery

Greenery
08-20-2007, 10:44 PM
OK so on friday I installed a Tekonsha P3 brake controller in my truck for my new to me used enclosed trailer I hooked it up and used it all day worked great. I left the trailer hooked up over the weekend and didnt use it at all until mondAY morning or I should say tried as my trucks battery was completely drained. Im pretty sure the battery on the trailer is toast could that have drained my trucks battery being hooked up over the weekend? or any other possible causes?

lawnmaniac883
08-20-2007, 11:05 PM
OK so on friday I installed a Tekonsha P3 brake controller in my truck for my new to me used enclosed trailer I hooked it up and used it all day worked great. I left the trailer hooked up over the weekend and didnt use it at all until mondAY morning or I should say tried as my trucks battery was completely drained. Im pretty sure the battery on the trailer is toast could that have drained my trucks battery being hooked up over the weekend? or any other possible causes?

I have had the P3 on my dodge diesel for about a month now, it has been great BUT when the trailer harness is hooked up to the truck, the controller stays on whereas when it is unhooked it will turn off after 15 minutes of no use. Might just be coincidence but I would try unhooking the trailers wiring harness from the truck if you are letting it sit overnite or longer.

SiteSolutions
08-21-2007, 12:46 AM
I would say there's probably something wrong. Either the battery or alternator was ready to die anyway, or the dead trailer battery was trying to charge itself from the truck (although I thought this circuit was only on with the ignition switch?) or some random unknown wiring problem. Electronics like brake controllers should draw very little current when not in use, like the clock on your radio for example. Maybe the tekonsha is the problem, but maybe it is just revealing a problem?

Greenery
08-21-2007, 10:34 PM
Thanks for the help. My battery iin the truck isnt very old and ive been unhooking the trailer in the evening and I havent had a problem since leaving it hooked upover the weekend. I'm going to replace the trailer battery this week i'm guessing that the dead battery on the trailer was drawing power from the truckbut i'm really not sure. Thanks again for the input. by the way my truck is a 01 2500 hd maybe someone can tell me if the charge line stays hot with the ignition off