PDA

View Full Version : Best way to remove Pulley on Deck

mexiking
08-20-2007, 10:32 PM
I'm stuck removing the pulley on the deck spindle for a 36" exmark metro , The Key in it broke and i'm replacing it but I can't remove the pulley, I tried a gear puller but the pulley Bent... I unbolted the spindle and gave it some taps to push it down but it won't budge. I removed the allan key lock also, Any suggestions? Help thanks

ffemt1271
08-20-2007, 10:39 PM
i don't know the answer, but i will be doing the same thin the end of this week, you might try going to exmarks website and looking at a parts diagram and make sure you haven't missed a retaining ring or something

mexiking
08-20-2007, 10:44 PM
well yeah somebody help us

mexiking
08-20-2007, 10:51 PM
anybody? i'm on my garage right now heh

Breezmister
08-20-2007, 11:24 PM
anybody? i'm on my garage right now heh

Get a bigger better puller :) Just kidding Mexiking. If the key broke, you might have to cut the pully off. Doesn't Exmark use a cast iron pully ? You didn't really bend the pully ?

44DCNF
08-21-2007, 12:57 AM
A harmonic balancer puller works fine. Run some bolts through the holes in the pulley and put a nut on them. Check if there is a set screw under the pulley that was holding the key, and back it out.

44DCNF
08-21-2007, 01:13 AM
balancer puller
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y175/streetsurfer/CIMG0137.jpg

Roger
08-21-2007, 08:13 AM
How do you know the key is broken, BEFORE you have removed the pulley? Is the pulley spinning free on the spindle? If so, perhaps you have put a groove in the spindle, leaving an edge and ridge. This could mean the diameter of the spindle is now slightly larger than the pulley diameter, making it hard to get the pulley over the ridge.

I echo the question posed above regarding "bending the pulley." I have an Exmark Viking, 36" deck. Each pulley on the spindles are cast iron. I think they will break before they will bend.

Any pics? That would be a huge help.

LarryF
08-21-2007, 08:20 AM
I'm stuck removing the pulley on the deck spindle for a 36" exmark metro , The Key in it broke and i'm replacing it but I can't remove the pulley, I tried a gear puller but the pulley Bent... I unbolted the spindle and gave it some taps to push it down but it won't budge. I removed the allan key lock also, Any suggestions? Help thanks

My Exmark is a ZTR, but I presume the basic design of the spindle & pulley is the same as yours. After reading what you and others wrote, I looked at the part's manual for mine. There's a ring clip on the spindle shaft, but it's below the spindle housing which is below the pulley, so it doesn't look like that ring clip should be preventing you from getting the pulley off. So it must be that broken key you mentioned that is holding the pulley on the shaft. Sounds like bigger muscles or a bigger puller will be the answer. I'll send you the part's manual diagram of mine if you are interested. If so, send me a PM with an email address.

44DCNF
08-21-2007, 08:46 AM
I have a metro. They are not cast pulleys, at least not on my 01 model. And my metro uses a key with a set screw. I figure he had the same set up where he said he "removed the allen key lock". If your pulleys look like these Mexiking, rig a way to pull them from the holes in them? I suppose you know to tighten the puller, then smack it with a hammer, tighten more and smack it again? While your locating or making a puller that will work soak the joint with some wintergreen oil, fluid film, or other penetrating oil
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y175/streetsurfer/CIMG0029-1.jpg

topsites
08-21-2007, 10:02 AM
Please be careful, those things are made of some alloy that will break, new pulleys are not cheap but worse still likely have to be ordered. Now I'm pretty sure it's as much fun as on a Toro, there is at least one and maybe two little bitty hex bolts up under the pulley and between deck and pulley that must be loosened, they're basically up under the pulley on the part that holds on to the axle and they are recessed so they don't stick out and you have to look good and hard for them, due to location they're a real joy to get to. Once loosened thou, it should come right off, they're hard to reach but a small hex key and some patience, the worst part is getting the leverage you need, but yes on TOP of the deck, right between the deck and the 'wheel' part of the pulley, on that axle looking part of it, the skinny bit, I'd be willing to bet there's 1-2 hex bolts.

I've done 3 of them in the past (bearing replacement), the more you do it the easier it gets, the first time took me 8 hours, the last time hardly 2, so it's not impossible but it does take tinkering and some trial and error. Now if you plan on going further with this (such as replacing the bearings) I'd recommend doing a search because I remember 1-2 years ago I actually wrote it up, yes here, granted it was for the Toro 48" but there exist about 12 steps which must be followed in precise order or it will snag again. Right now the only thing I remember is at some point you'll have to remove a c-clip or the bearings won't come out. Basically the best tip I can give is if it snags you're doing something wrong so try and try again, oh the outer axle shaft is fun as well.

Good luck

mexiking
08-21-2007, 10:32 AM
Get a bigger better puller :) Just kidding Mexiking. If the key broke, you might have to cut the pully off. Doesn't Exmark use a cast iron pully ? You didn't really bend the pully ?

I don't know but it bent some...

mexiking
08-21-2007, 10:33 AM
How do you know the key is broken, BEFORE you have removed the pulley? Is the pulley spinning free on the spindle? If so, perhaps you have put a groove in the spindle, leaving an edge and ridge. This could mean the diameter of the spindle is now slightly larger than the pulley diameter, making it hard to get the pulley over the ridge.

I echo the question posed above regarding "bending the pulley." I have an Exmark Viking, 36" deck. Each pulley on the spindles are cast iron. I think they will break before they will bend.

Any pics? That would be a huge help.

I know the key is broken because it's not there , I can see the one in the other pulley, also the entrances don't match its slightly to the left... i'll get pics today its raining so i'll be working on it today

mexiking
08-21-2007, 10:37 AM
I have a metro. They are not cast pulleys, at least not on my 01 model. And my metro uses a key with a set screw. I figure he had the same set up where he said he "removed the allen key lock". If your pulleys look like these Mexiking, rig a way to pull them from the holes in them? I suppose you know to tighten the puller, then smack it with a hammer, tighten more and smack it again? While your locating or making a puller that will work soak the joint with some wintergreen oil, fluid film, or other penetrating oil
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y175/streetsurfer/CIMG0029-1.jpg

well the puller I have doesn't fit in the holes, I guess I have to get a different one... Mine has the end "bent" so it grabs on to stuff...

mexiking
08-21-2007, 10:39 AM
Please be careful, those things are made of some alloy that will break, new pulleys are not cheap but worse still likely have to be ordered. Now I'm pretty sure it's as much fun as on a Toro, there is at least one and maybe two little bitty hex bolts up under the pulley and between deck and pulley that must be loosened, they're basically up under the pulley on the part that holds on to the axle and they are recessed so they don't stick out and you have to look good and hard for them, due to location they're a real joy to get to. Once loosened thou, it should come right off, they're hard to reach but a small hex key and some patience, the worst part is getting the leverage you need, but yes on TOP of the deck, right between the deck and the 'wheel' part of the pulley, on that axle looking part of it, the skinny bit, I'd be willing to bet there's 1-2 hex bolts.

I've done 3 of them in the past (bearing replacement), the more you do it the easier it gets, the first time took me 8 hours, the last time hardly 2, so it's not impossible but it does take tinkering and some trial and error. Now if you plan on going further with this (such as replacing the bearings) I'd recommend doing a search because I remember 1-2 years ago I actually wrote it up, yes here, granted it was for the Toro 48" but there exist about 12 steps which must be followed in precise order or it will snag again. Right now the only thing I remember is at some point you'll have to remove a c-clip or the bearings won't come out. Basically the best tip I can give is if it snags you're doing something wrong so try and try again, oh the outer axle shaft is fun as well.

Good luck

I took the only small allen bolt it had out, I also looked at the diagram and it looks like thats the only thing I had to unbolt. It might be that the key broke and the entrance for the key don't align now, so it probably just requires more juice pulling it.... THanks i'll try all the tips from you guys

chesterlawn
08-21-2007, 01:37 PM
Try putting the pulley puller on and tighten so it has some tension on it then stop. Next get a torch, map gas, and heat the pis$ out of it and when it's hot tighten till it comes off.

mexiking
08-21-2007, 10:12 PM
got it off and put new one back in, thanks guys couldnt have done it with out you all

Roger
08-21-2007, 10:13 PM
How about some explanation of what you did? How about some pics to help show, so that somebody else can learn from your experiences?

mexiking
08-22-2007, 07:25 AM
will do roger

topsites
06-11-2008, 06:43 PM
This thread re-visited today, as I got to pull a pulley :p

Yes, first always loosen that hex key!!!

Way I did it was I found a SPARE (read: have more than one of) 3/8" socket.
This socket in my case was around 11/16 but the thing is it has to fit nicely in that hole.
It has to fit square onto the center section so it exerts pressure, a few different sizes may work but too small or too big will not... All right, once you find a spare socket... Put that in the center with the 3/8" hole facing UP towards you, so the nut end or where a nut would go is what is down on the spindle assembly.
Then I have this universal gear puller that went over top of that, the center bolt of the gear puller fit nicely into the 3/8" hole and then I hit that thing with a air tool until it came off.

Oh I did soaked it in teh ole PB Blaster too.
And it basically came off without too much further ado...
You could probably do it manually with a big wrench also.

Roger
06-11-2008, 08:25 PM
Topsites, ... good tip.

I have also used an impact socket to seat new bearings in a spindle case. I chose one that fit cleanly over the outer race of the bearing, enabling me to drive the bearing to its proper seat. Obviously, the socket was large, perhaps 1 3/8".

fixer67
06-11-2008, 11:11 PM
It is not a Browning pulley is it? I know a man that did over $250 in damages trying to remove one and not knowing how. You should not need a puller for a Browning pulley. The puller is built into the pulley.

StevieZ
06-14-2008, 02:15 AM
I use a Bearing splitter and a stereing wheel/harmonic balancer puller kit. The splitter fits under the pulley and you put the pressure on the splitter not the pulley. Works pretty good.