PDA

View Full Version : If I had money

South Florida Lawns
08-21-2007, 12:34 AM
I would purchase an 08 F-350 and swap in a Cummins engine in it, but not the new one, it would be the model years with out all that new emissions crap.

SiteSolutions
08-21-2007, 12:38 AM
I wouldn't need a truck

LawnBoy89
08-21-2007, 11:53 PM
It would be considered a sin to take a PSD out of a truck and put a cummins in it

TXNSLighting
08-22-2007, 09:54 AM
ha! to great!

AndyTblc
08-22-2007, 11:50 AM
Did you know that in the new 2007 dodge trucks with the diesels, you can't burn the high sulfur diesel, because it will wreck your cadaletic converter, or how ever you spell it. And those around around $2300, thats what I was told from one of the neighbors who owns one.

TXNSLighting
08-22-2007, 04:07 PM
catalytic. Nope havent heard that one. not to far fetched tho.

AndyTblc
08-22-2007, 05:14 PM
Yah, my neighbor asked the people at the dodge dealer if he could run the high sulfer diesel, because he owns a trenching company, and all his equipment runs on that stuff, and the guys said that he could be he'd be putting new catalytic converters on it all the time because it messes something up with the emmisions. But his Father-in-law has the same truck but it's an 05, and he can run the high sulfer and it won't do anything, so they must hav started it this year.

deere615
08-22-2007, 05:17 PM
Did you know that in the new 2007 dodge trucks with the diesels, you can't burn the high sulfur diesel, because it will wreck your cadaletic converter, or how ever you spell it. And those around around $2300, thats what I was told from one of the neighbors who owns one.

I think you can't burn the high sulfur diesel in most of the new diesels. I seen a sticker on the pump at the gas station.

lawnmaniac883
08-22-2007, 06:22 PM
Sulfur doesnt ruin the catalytic converters IIRC it will however plug the particulate filters more and lead to more regeneration cycles. 04.5 model year + dodge cummins trucks have catalytic converters on them which means they were run on high sulfur diesel until ULSD came out in 07, 07 model year is when particulate filters and EGR was added.

Scag48
08-22-2007, 07:51 PM
I know if you're at a gas station here, just below the diesel handle there's a little sticker that says it's low sulfur diesel with so many PPM's (particles per million). High sulfur diesel will clog the particulate filter. A catalytic converter couldn't be $2300, but the repairs to the truck after runnigh high sulfur diesel in it could be. A catalytic convereter is about $300 installed at the most.

tthomass
08-22-2007, 09:17 PM
How about just swap a DT466 into the truck :)

Pickups......I'd have to go with DMAX. Same platform and years of improvement and development. New Ford has to prove itself but Cummins is a beast.

BrandonV
08-22-2007, 09:22 PM
High sulfur fuel in a highway truck? Is this off road diesel? I have a high sulfur tanks but it's died and cant be run in out trucks because if the Man finds out you'll be paying fines for the next 30yrs

lwcmattlifter
08-22-2007, 10:13 PM
It would be considered a sin to take a PSD out of a truck and put a cummins in it

Not if it's a 6.0

mike lane lawn care
08-22-2007, 10:35 PM
in my opinon the best combination would be a 2008 Toyota Tundra with a cummins engine, and an allison transmission. that thing would never die.

TXNSLighting
08-23-2007, 02:06 PM
I know if you're at a gas station here, just below the diesel handle there's a little sticker that says it's low sulfur diesel with so many PPM's (particles per million). High sulfur diesel will clog the particulate filter. A catalytic converter couldn't be $2300, but the repairs to the truck after runnigh high sulfur diesel in it could be. A catalytic convereter is about $300 installed at the most.

actually on the new ones the cat and dpf are all together, so thats why its so much.

TXNSLighting
08-23-2007, 02:07 PM
Yah, my neighbor asked the people at the dodge dealer if he could run the high sulfer diesel, because he owns a trenching company, and all his equipment runs on that stuff, and the guys said that he could be he'd be putting new catalytic converters on it all the time because it messes something up with the emmisions. But his Father-in-law has the same truck but it's an 05, and he can run the high sulfer and it won't do anything, so they must hav started it this year.

yeh cuz this year theres a new engine. its the 6.7 cummins now instead of 5.9.

Scag48
08-23-2007, 04:16 PM
actually on the new ones the cat and dpf are all together, so thats why its so much.

Gotcha, that makes sense.

meador56
08-24-2007, 05:52 PM
The truck you want is called a F-650 they come with either the stroke, 5.9 Cummins or little Cat. It can be ordered with a 5&2, 6 or 7 speed Fuller or Allison auto. Regular,extended or crew cab. Lo-pro with 19.5's or 22.5's regular. I have friend with lopro 5.9 auto with rollback, says it'll get as good as 13-14 mpg tow any thing most people in our biz need{I know it won't tow our D6H either but thr Pete will}. Nice truck nice powertrain can also be had in KW, Pete, FL, Sterling but with fewer cab choices. Be advised truck dealers like to claim atruck like this is 50 to 70 new depending on how you set up the chassis-cab. I happen to know the margins on these trucks are kinda fat so do your homework. Also these trucks with aluminum cabs have basically the same cab as their tractor models so they hold up well over time. I realize that GM sells these with the Isuzu {duramax} and Cat, and Navistar with their DT engines. But for what most of us use a ton or ton and quarter for this is a nice alternative for similar money. There is also a growing selection of these trucks used.