PDA

View Full Version : Got Bees?

supercuts
08-21-2007, 10:12 AM
I thought I had heard on the news that this year was going to be a mild bee year. guess scientists/biologists are as accurate as the weather man. ive seen more nest and gotten stung this year more than most years combined. not only have we seen more nest but they have been much bigger and seen a much steadier stream of bees in and out of them. once you run one over look out!

today we must have ran over a nest and not realized it, at the next lawn taking the mowers out of hte enclosed trailer we got stung. they must have been attacking the mowers the whole time

KrayzKajun
08-21-2007, 10:37 AM
I can deal with snakes and spiders BUT I hate bees. I hit a hornets nest last week they must have chased me all the way down the street. The neighborhood kids thought it was funny watching me scream like a little girl running .

supercuts
08-21-2007, 10:51 AM
dont you hate it when you get caught screaming like a little girl?? my guys love to remind me of the noises i make when getting stung.

Lohse's Lawn Service
08-21-2007, 11:28 AM
I can deal with snakes and spiders BUT I hate bees. I hit a hornets nest last week they must have chased me all the way down the street. The neighborhood kids thought it was funny watching me scream like a little girl running .

Happened to me too. Sort of. Luckily, nobody saw me. I was out at a country cemetery once, about to start mowing and noticed 2 bees flying around my door. I got out, thought nothing of it, and was about to drop the ramp on my trailer. Next thing I know, one of those bees started hitting me in the face. I went into a dead sprint probably 50 yards (away from my truck) when all I had to do was hop in. I then ran back, hopped in the cab, and then a swarm started flying around the outside of my truck, luckily I did not drop my ramp so I was able to leave.

Most of you probably already know this, but I'll say it for those who may not. I've heard that a bee's first defense is to run into your face, as a warning, meaning "get out of our territory." When you start slapping, that's when they become even more aggressive and once you get stung, a chemical is released and it attracts the others.

That's just what I've heard. Not to say I wouldn't start slapping if one was in my face. Has anyone else heard this before?

Vikings
08-21-2007, 01:04 PM
I have some yards with apple trees and now they are falling on the ground and getting rotten and munch up and sticking in my tire treads. This seems to attract a lot of wasps to my mower:(

edit: Hey have any southern Americans here on this forum get attacked by africanized bees?

All_Toro_4ME
08-21-2007, 02:49 PM
I have some yards with apple trees and now they are falling on the ground and getting rotten and munch up and sticking in my tire treads. This seems to attract a lot of wasps to my mower:(

edit: Hey have any southern Americans here on this forum get attacked by africanized bees?

I'm pretty south of you but haven't been stung by africanized bees. We have a lot of yellow jackets (wasps) and have had more then enough encounters with them in the past.

rodfather
08-21-2007, 03:53 PM
all of the guys in my outfit seem to have been getting stung more times this year than in the past IMO

RedMax Man
08-21-2007, 04:54 PM
I've been wondering the same thing yet havent gotten stung.

Why are there so many hornets, bees, and insects on shrubs and hedges. the last several i trimmed and pruned they were all over them yet i didn"t find any nests.

I was helping a customer and his friend prune some trees. the kid starts complaining that he got stung on the back of his head. A little bit later he finds a massive black wasp or hornet nest in a magnolia tree. Took 6 cans to kill 'em.

KTO Enterprises
08-21-2007, 05:33 PM
We have a lot of yellow jackets (wasps) and have had more then enough encounters with them in the past.

Same here. It seems like im in the profession of getting stung. I do know they will mostly fly around you if you dont swat at them, but its hard no stay calm when they are in your hair and face. Thats usually when I commence the 12 year old girl shriek like she just saw the backstreet boys, Last year while doing some lots I got hit bad and was tearing off my clothes running down the street.
Some old lady called the cops and told them there was some crazy naked man running around their neighborhood. Old people kill me. I could have been dying and I get the cops called on me.

Vikings
08-21-2007, 05:38 PM
I commence the 12 year old girl shriek like she just saw the backstreet boys, Last year while doing some lots I got hit bad and was tearing off my clothes running down the street.
Some old lady called the cops and told them there was some crazy naked man running around their neighborhood. Old people kill me. I could have been dying and I get the cops called on me.
That's what happens when they don't get their Crack Cocaine. They feel like there are bugs all over them and they scratch and go crazy picking fights. I seen it on Cops.

I got swarmed last year by wasps, I got stung 7 times. I was on a steep roof and buddy took the ladder away to go clean some other windows so I couldn't get out of there. They had a nest under the wooden shingles next to the sky light I was trying to clean. All I could do is wave my chamois around and back off slowly, I had to stay on the peek of the roof because it was so steep.

KTO Enterprises
08-21-2007, 05:40 PM
I seen it on Cops.

Wow thats some redneck dialect right there. And who says the south is the only place that has rednecks.

Chilehead
08-21-2007, 07:11 PM
I got hit twice last year,but not this year.

LawnBrother
08-22-2007, 07:39 AM
Ha. Ive been attacked twice this year and been stung about 14 times.