PDA

View Full Version : Excavator rollover

Scag48
08-21-2007, 12:46 PM
My dad called me yesterday to inform me that a guy I knew as a kid in my hometown was running a 312 on Friday of last week on some steep ground and rolled it over backwards resulting in his death. Really sucks as I've known the guy for a while, my little sister is friends with his daughter as well. Stay safe guys, this was a Friday afternoon accident, chances are they were running behind and got in a hurry. He was not ejected from the machine, he had the seatbelt on and I'm hearing that a piece of glass, probably the front glass, fell on him and that's what caused his injuries. Had the glass not fallen he would probably still be alive, I'm told the cab of the machine held up very well as the boom took the brunt of the landing.

Thought I'd post this as a safety reminder. Sometimes I've done some things on slopes I probably shouldn't do to get the job done, but after losing someone I know to a rollover I'll definately re-think my strategies. Steep slope work is incredibly prevelant back home, there isn't hardly a site that's flat and it's only getting worse with the way the topography of the valley runs.

cddva
08-21-2007, 05:14 PM
Sorry for the loss of your family friend Scag. I was going to comment about the glass being the cause of his death but without really knowing all the details it seems a moot point. Thanks for the "reminder" on safety.

Fieldman12
08-21-2007, 05:15 PM
That is a shame that it happened to him. I could tell from some of the pictures that you had posted that the area was pretty dangerous that you work in.

Gravel Rat
08-21-2007, 08:27 PM
Working on slopes is dangerous especially if is loose or its rock. A rollover backwards is a nasty roll.

Good Luck

Tigerotor77W
08-21-2007, 09:35 PM
Sorry to hear about it... your message will be a reminder to me when I'm next on equipment.

RockSet N' Grade
08-21-2007, 10:17 PM
Scag........a heart felt prayer goes out. I have done and been many things in my life from a coal miner, a Futures broker in L.A and Chicago with a suit and tie, to a Contractor involved in varied aspects of construction over the years. I have seen "accidents" that should have finished those involved, yet they walk away with a bump on their head and then those situations where life actually ends when logic dictated they should have walked away. I have never been a religious man outright, yet time and its mysteries have led me to believe in the power of prayer and the hope of a master plan. Take each day and make the most of it.....thank you for the reminder in safety........On another note: Scag, you dating all those beautiful babes at that restaurant? Don't completely bury yourself in work........it will always be there........

dozerman21
08-21-2007, 10:37 PM
Scag, sorry to hear about your friend. Accidents like that are wake up calls for everybody. A guy that I work with rolled his 320 off his trailer last year. I was only a couple of streets over when it happened. He was lucky to walk away with only cuts and bruises. He's been running a hoe for 25+ years, and probably loaded that machine a couple thousand times. It just goes to show that no matter how many times you have done something, you still have to be smart and careful. My condolences go out to his family and friends.

gammon landscaping
08-22-2007, 02:17 AM
i rolled dads 312 of the side of the trailer this summer, it happenes so quick its not even funny. sorry to here about you friend. i think safty is important to keep in mind but also the nature of our buesness leads us to take big equipment to bad places and try to work, and things do happen, some times you walk away like i did and sometimes not. we all feel like big kids in a sand box but the reallity is that we have a dangerous job that is not to forgiving

Scag48
08-22-2007, 04:04 PM
Well small towns are famous for BS stories. My dad got to the bottom of it, he talked to a guy that was on the concrete crew at the house next door. He was actually on a mini with no cab, went over an embankment or something whic caused the machine to roll, didn't have the seat belt on and was ejected and the machine landed on him. I believe this story as it came from guys working at the house next door.

Thanks for the thoughts guys, it's much appreciated.

In better news, I turned 21 yesterday so I'm not working today. Finally a day off!

tallrick
08-22-2007, 06:26 PM
That is more believable, if it was a 312 there's no way the glass could have killed anyone because it is always safety glass, and rarely tempered glass on removeable windows. I have seen a Case hoe tip over and have repaired a track loader that rolled down the side of a bridge. As long as the seat belt/restraint is doing its job, the chance of injury is low. I have been amazed at the chances guys take on mini-ex's though. I saw one working demo and almost going off the roof of a two-story building....crazy!