PDA

View Full Version : TurfTiger 60 or Laser ZHP 52?

Geordon
09-11-2001, 10:33 AM
I can get a "demo" Scag Turf Tiger 61" 22HP LC Kaw w/ 255 hours for $6000 from one local dealer. Shaft drive, nice looking unit.

I can get a brand new 2002 eXmark Lazer ZHP 52" 23HP Kaw for $7000 from another dealer.

I can also get a 1 1/2 yr old Scag Tiger Cub 52" 21HP Kaw with 150 hours from a one-man mowing outfit for $6500/BO.

My original first choice was to get a Simplicity Legacy tractor 60" shaft-driven deck 25HP Kohler for $7000, which would allow me to add a snow blower to do clear my 225' drive in the winter.

My lawn is just under 1 acre, with 4 spruce trees, a row of well-spaced bushes, and a sharp ditch.

Any recommendations on any of these for my own residential use? Or would I be able to expect a better deal by waiting until spring for the trade-ins? I live in Michigan, so near end of season here, and demo's are almost all gone.

Geordon

HOWARD JONES
09-11-2001, 11:20 AM
Commercial zero-turns are great mowers, but for less than one acre, tractor styles aren't too bad - if you get a Lazer, say, what are you going to do about the snow? Another machine just for that?

Geordon
09-11-2001, 12:12 PM
Invisibleman,

Yes, I would probably keep my 15yr old Simplicity 7117 w/ blower to use in the winter and for other miscellaneous chores.

My dealer gave me an alternative of mounting one of the Simplicity snow blowers to the front of the ZTR! This actually sounds kind of interesting.

I would really only like to have one machine, and the ZTR's are sweet, but for the same money I can have a high-end Legacy Garden Tractor (not that I have a garden).

Geordon

HOWARD JONES
09-11-2001, 01:39 PM
I own a 62" Toro and have used lawn tractors in the past - I know a lot of guys will disagree with me, but I would probably go with the lawn tractor and would also recommend a smaller size for your property - the wider the deck, the more problems you have following the contours nicely - I am guessing that you have quite a bit of "contour" or dare I say roughness, due to your description of the sharp ditch - I have lots of this myself. The zero-turns also have the engine hanging out the rear which has its advantages (low noise, good traction, low center of gravity) but also some disadvantages (mine gets hung up "high center" easily - cannot cross ditches, must mow along their length) - I would recommend either a maximum of 52" size ZT or the same size tractor. Good luck with your decision!