PDA

View Full Version : What is Pave Pack?

ccas
08-21-2007, 05:33 PM
having a guy come and do my driveway. I initially wanted the driveway paved, but with a lot future landscaping around the corner he suggested putting in a base (pave pack). I have no idea what it is. He said it would give me the pavement I wanted just not the black top finish. I've never heard of this. Do you guys know of it?

grandview (2006)
08-21-2007, 05:52 PM
It's probably old black top milling and it's laid down and rolled and the sun will hardened it works for a while good temp .stuff to use.

ccas
08-21-2007, 07:07 PM
He said he has seen it left on for 5-6 years. Is it hard like pavement? Will my daughter be able to ride a bike on it easily?

ccas
08-21-2007, 07:36 PM
I just looked at the estimate again. It is bituminous concrete??? IS that a typical base for driveway? OR before the finish?

Gravel Rat
08-21-2007, 08:12 PM
Around here we call it cold patch what it is ground up asphalt mixed with a tar that kind of makes it sticky. It does harden after awhile I used it for a water line in a parking lot I did. I heated the stuff up with a tiger torch and used a plate compactor to pack it down.

Personally I would pave it now and when you want to do the landscaping do the landscaping.

snoope
08-21-2007, 08:56 PM
ccas,

Base is what we put down over "Selects".the 1st coat if you will....on most road or building projects.....then when we are finished a "Top" is applied..finer aggregate and the shine .....

Ask the "paver" who he buys his mix from and then research that companies "Batch" qualities....There are only 3 large "Batch plants" operations in NH....Pike,Brox and Continental.....

The only other "pave pack" I've seen is a Stone dust/aggregate mix put down with a "Drop box".......some do this to create a great foundation for the asphalt...but lasting 4-5 Nh winters?????

I hope I gave you more info to your ????

Snoope back quiet

dons
08-21-2007, 10:06 PM
No personal experience with Pave Pack, have never heard of it to be honest. I can vouch for course aggregate recycled concrete (not the fine used for a paver substrate) as a cheap long or short term driveway though. I put ours down four years ago knowing what the future heavy equipment traffic would be, multiple full 20-22 yard dump trucks, 10 yard mixers and a really big crane.

It's even been through 3 hurricanes, 2/3rds of our 3/4 acre lot drains over it with the subdivision behind us 4' higher and we take a lot of their water. It's held up great and my kids ride their bikes on it without a problem, but it can be hard on bare feet. With no Portland properties left in it it's pretty impressive.

Just a thought.

grassmanvt
08-22-2007, 12:35 AM
If its rap (recycled asphalt product) I am a big fan of it. Packs great and lasts good. Every now and then you'll get a batch with more gravel/aggregate fines in it and it can be a little dusty but overall I have been pleased by it.