PDA

View Full Version : My 06 Silverado AirLifted w/strobes

Triple L
08-21-2007, 09:18 PM
Hay guys, had a few extra minutes here and thought id post some pics of my weekend project I took on. Put on an AirLift suspension out back as well as wired up some lights hidden in the grill. Air Ride kit is just awsome, thing rides like a caddy! Plus I got a 2" lift out of it. Stance is perfect in my opinion. A little background on my truck; 06 Silverado... Bought this truck almost 2 years ago and heres what iv added 2 it so far...
- 8' Arctic Poly Plow HD series
- DownEaster Dump insert w/ DownEaster Tailgate salt shaker
- Homemade tarp mount... Made from a winch works great
- AirLift Airbags in the rear
- Blue hidden strobes in the grill w/ blue beacon on the insert
- BFG All Terrain T/A's
- Timbrens SES Suspension enhancers front & back
- Chrome wheels
- 18000 lbs. Tranny Cooler
- Trans Temp Guage
- Dual 1000 cca Batteries
- 12000 lbs. Hitch
- Digital Brake controller

On the list for next year.... Pioneer 7" LCD DVD navigation, Rear reverse camera, Cherry Bomb exhaust, Eyebrows for the headlights and possible a little more radical cam (really let this motor rip)...
O ya, Did I mention im only 18 and iv paid for every single thing on this truck out of my own pocket plus the truck itsself.. Im pretty dam proud of this truck, let me know what u guys think

Tim Wright
08-21-2007, 11:31 PM
Nice

Tim

KrayzKajun
08-21-2007, 11:47 PM
very nice truck

J&R Landscaping
08-21-2007, 11:54 PM
Is that a 1500 or 2500hd?

mcwlandscaping
08-22-2007, 01:16 AM
Is that a 1500 or 2500hd?
looks like a half ton to me....looks pretty nice though!

AndyTblc
08-22-2007, 11:52 AM
It has 6 lugs, so it has to be a half-ton, Probly a 1500HD maby

deere615
08-22-2007, 02:39 PM
I was wondering about the 1500/2500 too. I thought it was a 1500. I love the tires I'd like to get a set of those for mine. Looks pretty sweet! What size engine do you got in it?

LindblomRJ
08-22-2007, 02:42 PM

Yeah thats a always a good way to tell.

What about the heavy half ton pickups? 8 lugs. Or the older light duty gm pickups? 1988 to 1995, 6 lug.

Real good way to tell.

Triple L
08-22-2007, 10:24 PM
Hay guys, an update on the air-ride suspension... Lovin it. Pulled around my 16' trailer all day today loaded with 2 riders and an ton of other stuff, about 5000 lbs total.. Rode like a caddy still! On the way up to some of my properties theres some mean train tracks, usually have to do about 5 km/h over them orelse i'll have a compressed spine.... Ripped over them at about 25 km/h today and ya sure you noticed them but it felt like I went over slight speed hump at best. A little bit more body roll then with just the timbrens on but well worth it and even the body roll is minimal to say the least. Highly recommend air-lift kits... By the way its a half ton, I know all you guys are gonna bash me but Its honestly pretty much a 3/4 tonne now with all the suspension upgrades, plus the fram is boxed from the rear axle forward. I dont have any worries about breakin stuff on this truck at all. And shes got the 4.3 in it.. Dam quick tho for a 4.3!!! same motor as a v-8 except 2 cylinders have been cut off.. A serious engine builder by my house says I can put a cam with a 1/2" more of lift in it which he has done to his 4.3 and he's pullin 300 HP on the dyno. No joke! So thats still in the back of my head..

Thanks for all the replys guys!

deere615
08-23-2007, 12:32 AM
Hay guys, an update on the air-ride suspension... Lovin it. Pulled around my 16' trailer all day today loaded with 2 riders and an ton of other stuff, about 5000 lbs total.. Rode like a caddy still! On the way up to some of my properties theres some mean train tracks, usually have to do about 5 km/h over them orelse i'll have a compressed spine.... Ripped over them at about 25 km/h today and ya sure you noticed them but it felt like I went over slight speed hump at best. A little bit more body roll then with just the timbrens on but well worth it and even the body roll is minimal to say the least. Highly recommend air-lift kits... By the way its a half ton, I know all you guys are gonna bash me but Its honestly pretty much a 3/4 tonne now with all the suspension upgrades, plus the fram is boxed from the rear axle forward. I dont have any worries about breakin stuff on this truck at all. And shes got the 4.3 in it.. Dam quick tho for a 4.3!!! same motor as a v-8 except 2 cylinders have been cut off.. A serious engine builder by my house says I can put a cam with a 1/2" more of lift in it which he has done to his 4.3 and he's pullin 300 HP on the dyno. No joke! So thats still in the back of my head..

Thanks for all the replys guys!

I got a half ton but my next truck will be 3/4 ton! Don't no if I would have got the v6 but thats cool Im glad Your happy with your chevy!:weightlifter: I have been thinking about getting the timbrens for mine, I heard they are pretty good.

J&R Landscaping
08-23-2007, 10:35 AM

Yea 6 lug would be a 1/2 ton. I can't see that dump insert being a wise choice in a 1/2 ton truck though but thats just me.

Eric D
08-23-2007, 11:10 AM
Triple L,

You should be proud! At your age you are doing very well. Keep up the good work.

You might want to add a beefier rear sway bar to help reduce the body roll.

I’ve seen some of the new very pastel flame stickers that would look great on the white background of your truck.

Keep us posted on your truck upgrades. Any upgrades on your lawn cutting equipment?

Eric D

Triple L
08-23-2007, 01:57 PM
I got a half ton but my next truck will be 3/4 ton! Don't no if I would have got the v6 but thats cool Im glad Your happy with your chevy!:weightlifter: I have been thinking about getting the timbrens for mine, I heard they are pretty good.

Skip out on the timbrens and just grab an airlift kit... Byfar the way to go, unless you like lumberwagons...lol...

Triple L,

You should be proud! At your age you are doing very well. Keep up the good work.

You might want to add a beefier rear sway bar to help reduce the body roll.

I’ve seen some of the new very pastel flame stickers that would look great on the white background of your truck.

Keep us posted on your truck upgrades. Any upgrades on your lawn cutting equipment?

Eric D

Hay thanks for the tips! Might keep that in mind, as far a lawn equipment goes I bought a 66" Hustler Super Z this spring, lovin it to. Get non stop compliments on my truck and actually just last week a girl came up to me and asked if she could take some pics of my lawnmower... So i let her take some, laughed a bit to myself and continued on... Thats pretty cool when everyday people want to take pics of your equipment....

hosejockey2002
08-23-2007, 02:27 PM
I'll add my $.02. Take all that flashy stuff off the truck, set it aside. Sell the truck. Buy a 2500HD or 3500. Put all that flashy stuff back on. Your pocketbook will thank you later.

Here's why. Under all those mods, you truck is still a 1500 series V6 powered truck. With the dump insert installed and you behind the wheel your truck is close to it's designed gross vehicle weight. The suspension mods you installed will keep the truck from sagging, but you still have the same brakes, axles and wheel bearings. When you overload these on a constant basis they will wear out and fail much more quickly. This will cost you big bucks down the road. As far as the motor goes, you could spend thousands on mods for your 4.3 V6 and it would still be outplowed and outpulled by a bone stock 6.0 V8.

Plowing is probably the most extreme usage you can inflict on a truck, and the 2500HD/3500 is much better equipped for the job without falling apart and becoming an expensive piece of junk after a couple of seasons.

Triple L
08-23-2007, 08:47 PM
I'll add my $.02. Take all that flashy stuff off the truck, set it aside. Sell the truck. Buy a 2500HD or 3500. Put all that flashy stuff back on. Your pocketbook will thank you later.

Here's why. Under all those mods, you truck is still a 1500 series V6 powered truck. With the dump insert installed and you behind the wheel your truck is close to it's designed gross vehicle weight. The suspension mods you installed will keep the truck from sagging, but you still have the same brakes, axles and wheel bearings. When you overload these on a constant basis they will wear out and fail much more quickly. This will cost you big bucks down the road. As far as the motor goes, you could spend thousands on mods for your 4.3 V6 and it would still be outplowed and outpulled by a bone stock 6.0 V8.

Plowing is probably the most extreme usage you can inflict on a truck, and the 2500HD/3500 is much better equipped for the job without falling apart and becoming an expensive piece of junk after a couple of seasons.

Thanks for your opinion, I totally respect what you say and my next truck will defentially be a 3500 srw, duramax... I got the sledpulling bug, and this truck certainly aint no sled puller... But hear me out, as far as breaks go, this trucks got disks up front with drums out back... Excellent set up, this truck stops on dimes.. Just amazing, least of my worries, back axle I could honestly care less about it, when have you even seen someone break an axle from being overloaded, its pretty beefy to start out with, and if it does break, ill go and grab a 3/4 ton axle and stick it in, same goes with the frame, this thing is all boxed, its not going anywhere. So Im pretty comfident with this truck but I understand what your saying... Im only 18 so going out any buying a 50K 3500 srw truck was a bit out of the picture at the time. So Im gonna work this truck for all its worth and look good doing it until 2010.. Its got its whole life planned out already....lol

Albemarle Lawn
08-23-2007, 09:26 PM
Around here you would get thoroughly interrogated, since there have been a lot of cop impersonators.

The cops in Canada probably have trucks, because of weather, so you look too much like a cop.

On the good side, might be handy to bluelight a putz out of the way every now and then when you gotta go!:cool2:

grassmanak
08-23-2007, 10:17 PM
your probably over weight with the insert and plow on there, looks good, not sure about the V6 though,

Triple L
08-23-2007, 10:56 PM
Around here you would get thoroughly interrogated, since there have been a lot of cop impersonators.

The cops in Canada probably have trucks, because of weather, so you look too much like a cop.

On the good side, might be handy to bluelight a putz out of the way every now and then when you gotta go!:cool2:

haha... no, blue is strictly snow! Cops got red + blue....

About the 6 banger, its actually not bad at all, it keeps up real good to my buddy with a 350, actually I've beaten an dodge 360 with 290,000 km's on it, a bit worn out but it still had good power.. Dont doubt these 6 bangers, there not bad all at, as soon as I get past 2300 rpm she starts takin off, Plus I get 13 mpg Pulling around 5000 lbs with the a/c on full tilt.

thanks again for the comments!

02DURAMAX
08-24-2007, 01:27 AM

A 1500HD is an 8 Lug.

LindblomRJ
08-24-2007, 02:13 AM
A 1500HD is an 8 Lug.

Like this explanation?

Yeah thats a always a good way to tell.

What about the heavy half ton pickups? 8 lugs. Or the older light duty gm pickups? 1988 to 1995, 6 lug.

Real good way to tell.

02DURAMAX
08-24-2007, 02:23 AM
An HD is an 8 Lug and a regular 1500 is a 6 lug..

RedMax Man
08-24-2007, 10:15 AM
Very nice, I'm thinking of getting a set of BFG's for my truck before winter. I also have the air-lift.

Triple L
08-24-2007, 10:38 PM
Very nice, I'm thinking of getting a set of BFG's for my truck before winter. I also have the air-lift.

Right on... How do you like your airlift kit? The BFG's are not bad at all... They bit pretty good but they seem to clog up a bit in the snow. But would still recommend them... I rarely use 4x4, if not check out the commercial traction t/a... My dad retired from Bfgoodrich, so he knows tires like no other... He says there a pretty good tire for traction to, but they dont come in 17" stupid chevy....

RedWingsDet
08-25-2007, 03:22 AM
looks good! I have a simular truck but a 2500HD with Air Bags and a SS Dump Insert.

Lynden-Jeff
08-25-2007, 07:42 AM
Nice truck but the 6 cyl would bother me. I just part time retired my 5.9 V dodge ram half ton for a 6L Deisel F250. I can say I will never own anything less then a 3/4 ton diesel for work!

Cheers

keepoffthegrass
08-25-2007, 12:12 PM
Hmmm nice truck, i think a set of the extendable mirrors off the earlier new body style trucks would look tits. I got mine off ebay, the hole set for 150 then sold my old ones for 96 bux the next week. money well spent.

Going to pick up project ebay next week. already found a box and front clip for dirt cheap,

mike lane lawn care
08-25-2007, 01:33 PM
I own the 4.3l V6, and it has soooo much power, the way mine is set up, i have 240HP with 285 ft/lbs of torque. that's with a few aftermarket additions, but she's never let me down. the van i used to own had the same exact engine. I use the truck for hauling my trailer, hauling dirt and mulch, transporting cars of all sizes, from 4cyl dirt track racers, to mid-size pickup trucks on a car hauler, and then of course there is the world of off roading, which i see almost every single day.

Triple L
08-25-2007, 03:19 PM
I own the 4.3l V6, and it has soooo much power, the way mine is set up, i have 240HP with 285 ft/lbs of torque. that's with a few aftermarket additions, but she's never let me down. the van i used to own had the same exact engine. I use the truck for hauling my trailer, hauling dirt and mulch, transporting cars of all sizes, from 4cyl dirt track racers, to mid-size pickup trucks on a car hauler, and then of course there is the world of off roading, which i see almost every single day.

Hay man, thanks for the support. First guy here that hasent bashed the 4.3, What have you done to your so far. Ever think of putting a cam in?

mike lane lawn care
08-25-2007, 03:36 PM
Hay man, thanks for the support. First guy here that hasent bashed the 4.3, What have you done to your so far. Ever think of putting a cam in?

so far she is pretty stock in terms of mechanics, but with the help of a tuned PCM, high flow cats, flowmaster exhaust, and a ram air intake, she puts out a lot more power than factory. i haven't really considered doing too much with it, but i'm always looking for ways to get a little more out of it, while extending it's life. right now i have 127, almost 128,000 miles, i sold the van with the same engine at 200,000 miles original engine and tranny, and still runs perfect. great engine, it may only be a V6, but it's the largest V6 ever made. as much as i like the engine, i just an't get it in my next truck, it's not an option in the 2500hd range, so it'll either be the duramax:) or the 6.0 V8