PDA

View Full Version : We Can't Use Blowers. Will This Work Instead?

Total Lawncare Solutions
08-21-2007, 09:16 PM
A new by-law restricting leaf blower use to Spring and Fall only has been passed. We are still able to use them in certain gated communities between 9:30 and 3:30 but they will be restricted on our other props.

I am considering a gas powered Air Compressor mounted in the bed w/an Air Expander attachment to at least blow clipping and debris from the front hard surfaces.

http://www.exair.com/Cultures/en-US/Primary+Navigation/Products/Air+Amplifiers/Super+Air+Amplifier.htm

captbob
08-21-2007, 09:51 PM
If so how about an electric leaf blower stihl makes a pretty good one and a small generator. If you have to use the compressor use a regular hand blower adaptor with a threaded end and insert about 36 inches of steel brake line
with a piece of tight hose slid over it to keep it from bending. The small orifice generates a lot of concetrated force and the length helps direct it where needed and uses less air volume so you can finish the sidewalk and drive way..
Good luck Capt Bob

cgaengineer
08-21-2007, 09:57 PM
A new by-law restricting leaf blower use to Spring and Fall only has been passed. We are still able to use them in certain gated communities between 9:30 and 3:30 but they will be restricted on our other props.

I am considering a gas powered Air Compressor mounted in the bed w/an Air Expander attachment to at least blow clipping and debris from the front hard surfaces.

http://www.exair.com/Cultures/en-US/Primary+Navigation/Products/Air+Amplifiers/Super+Air+Amplifier.htm

What a stupid law! How about going after criminals or how about enforcing the many stupid laws we have on the books now?

KTO Enterprises
08-21-2007, 09:59 PM
Another reason why we need a 50 state recognized professional association. To fight moronic laws like this.

jpp
08-21-2007, 10:01 PM
If you can post this new law, I would really like to read it. Is this no blowers at all? I can't believe it.

JP

Total Lawncare Solutions
08-21-2007, 10:06 PM
Not a noise ordinance, a Tree Hugger by-law.

I like the gas generator running electric blowers idea.

Maybe better than an air compressor w/air expander.

Input appreciated.

Regardless, I'm running something gas to blow the hard surfaces. They can KMA.

You guys not in the cities and suburbs won't get it so leave me alone.

WhitakerServices
08-21-2007, 10:08 PM
I bet that the Exair thingy will probably overwork your compressor, unless you have a huge tank and lots of cfm. That thing would probably empty a 5 gal tank in a few seconds.
good luck
Do they expect you to use a broom? That will cost them.

Envy Lawn Service
08-21-2007, 10:11 PM
Another reason why we need a 50 state recognized professional association. To fight moronic laws like this.

All I can say is... YUP! :usflag: :clapping:

Total Lawncare Solutions
08-21-2007, 10:16 PM
Well, I been doing some searching online and here's a Sweet Victory.

http://www.paloaltodailynews.com/article/2007-2-3-02-03-07-pa-leaf-blower

Think I'll just keep running the bp blowers for a while and see what the Law does.

Albemarle Lawn
08-21-2007, 10:23 PM
Just don't blow.

Liberals like it messy, just look at a liberal yard, usually all kinds of clutter, plants too close together, weeds everywhere, swampy areas, poor drainage, three years of leaves, etc etc etc

Andyinchville
08-21-2007, 10:32 PM
How about a long hose like they use in garages to route exhaust gases outdoors hooked to your tailpipe....You rev the engine, helper blows off....Works best with diesels but watch the soot!
Andrew

lawnprosteveo
08-21-2007, 10:34 PM
This probably isnt a very helpful answer...but my first response to this would be to leave all the clippings and mess where they lay...Tell the customer, sorry, I cant blow and my sweeping rate is $40 per man hour.

KTO Enterprises
08-21-2007, 10:37 PM
I can usually clean the driveway off with the mower, if im smooth.

Upcharge sweeping walkways and patios

lawnman_scott
08-21-2007, 11:24 PM
Well, I been doing some searching online and here's a Sweet Victory.

http://www.paloaltodailynews.com/article/2007-2-3-02-03-07-pa-leaf-blower

Think I'll just keep running the bp blowers for a while and see what the Law does.Please tell me you vote in local elections and know what nosy nutcase control freaks voted for this money wasting bill? If not, you deserve to use a broom.

Total Lawncare Solutions
08-21-2007, 11:58 PM
I gave up after the Pesticide By-Law.

You go to court and fight ppl that have nothing better to do all day but sit in court.

I will just find ways around their stupid laws.

I love running electric blowers on gas generators.

Poetic Justice.

JimQ
08-22-2007, 12:13 PM

I believe the OPEI has been actively fighting ordinances like these. They are popping up every where

Q

Yard Dude
08-22-2007, 12:34 PM
Good Point, Whit....Pass on the cost. I wonder if the by-law is aimed at noise or emission issues. It would be very tempting to run a gas compressor with an air hose, just to kind of in-your-face the wackos

beano
08-22-2007, 03:00 PM
Id use the blowers anyway.....any cop in their right mind is not going to give you a ticket for a lawncare company not to use a leaf blower. Id take my chances and tell them to KMA.

PearceLawn
08-22-2007, 06:52 PM
[QUOTE=Total Lawncare Solutions;1938003]A new by-law restricting leaf blower use to Spring and Fall only has been passed. We are still able to use them in certain gated communities between 9:30 and 3:30 but they will be restricted on our other props.

When did this come about? I never heard anything about it. Does it just apply to within the city limits or does it apply to the suburbs too?

Stupid stupid law!!!!

Kid With A Mower
08-22-2007, 08:44 PM
Wait, you can mow but not blow? ;) ;) That makes no sense. If is that big of a problem for them then f-em, just don't blow.

ed2hess
08-22-2007, 09:18 PM
In the fall I adjust my Walker deck down all the way and pick up almost everything that is on walks and parking lot. It sometime take less time then blowing stuff over long distances....so that would be my solution for lack of blowers.

cutbetterthanyou
08-22-2007, 10:16 PM
i know it is not the safest (just like useing the mower to blow things) but i have seen people useing trimmers on sidewalks for blowing of grass

Darrin A.
08-22-2007, 10:17 PM
Get a bunch of local LCOs together and offer the city free mowing for the rest of the season. DON'T use blowers, leave the clippings. If they complain, tell them that it's their by-law that says you can't do it.
Might not be a great idea but, it's might just be a great eye opener.

David Gretzmier
08-23-2007, 12:26 AM
make you a "blower" with a cheap mower with a honda engine, around 200 bucks, and a double blade bracket with two super high lift blades, around a 100 bucks. it should clean the drives and sidewalks nicely. stupid law.

The Grass Guy
08-23-2007, 01:38 AM
If you cant blow it, suck it up,I use a Billy Goat on leaves in the fall and it has great suction.

MOW ED
08-23-2007, 07:30 AM
The air expander is an interesting concept. I can't teel you if it would work or not. I know that I would miss my blowers and have to charge more to sweep. I am curious to how this expander really works. I saw the website but nothing like having one in the hand and seeing if you can blow someones eyebrows off. Good luck.

cutbetterthanyou
08-23-2007, 05:27 PM
What about a power broom ? You konw,like a weedeater w/ the broom that spins on the end of it. I don't know how well they work, but you could even buy a split shaft and change out the trimmer end to save some $.

Mrs. H
08-23-2007, 06:05 PM
Why not use a 13 HP Parking Lot Blower? You could probably blow 3 smallish yards at once.

MikeLT1Z28
08-23-2007, 08:40 PM
ding ding ding!! Mrs. H took the words right out from under my fingers! walker users just get the blower attachment and anyone else use a wheel blower. of course to be given a citation, it has to occur in front of whomever is writing the citation. that's like someone calling me and saying that so and so was speeding, give him a ticket. i can't do it if i don't witness it myself.

swingset
08-23-2007, 09:01 PM
Mental note: Cheer loudly when NY and California decide to become their own communist country.

MOturkey
08-23-2007, 09:02 PM
One of my best friends lives in Rochester. I'll have to ask him about this. Looks to me like a perfect example of people who don't know diddly trying to control thngs. Anyone in their right mind would realize a mower puts out more emissions, and burns more fuel than a leaf blower, so just exactly what is the point?

Total Lawncare Solutions
08-23-2007, 09:24 PM
The point, as city council sees it, is that mowing is essential and blowing is not. We can still use blowers spring and fall.

I was given my first ticket today, $140, for using blowers.

They are not messing around.

Will be hooking up gas powered generators to a couple of our res. trucks and we will run electric blowers off them.

Should be fun.

What's the most powerful Electric Blower?

WhitakerServices
08-23-2007, 10:49 PM
ouch, that hurts.

swingset
08-23-2007, 11:01 PM
The point, as city council sees it, is that mowing is essential and blowing is not. We can still use blowers spring and fall.

Will be hooking up gas powered generators to a couple of our res. trucks and we will run electric blowers off them.

Should be fun.

What's the most powerful Electric Blower?

What a totally ****** up city you live in.

I'd move, or burn down city hall. Either/or.

lawnman_scott
08-23-2007, 11:23 PM

Should be fun.

What's the most powerful Electric Blower?Did I miss the thread where you ask for a good price increase letter? or do you have one already?

captbob
08-24-2007, 07:20 AM
AS I said in the first thread Stihl make a nice one should cost less than the fine you just got if you want to run 2 A 5 kw generator 1 you could most likley get by with a 4 kw but check the label on the blower and decide.
Good luck, I hope that cop felt like a jerk giving you a ticket for that !!!
PS YOu can bet some snitch neighbor called em too.
Capt.

swingset
08-24-2007, 07:38 AM
Good luck, I hope that cop felt like a jerk giving you a ticket for that !!!

Cop didn't have to write the ticket, could have done a warning if he felt bad about it.

Tickets = revenue. Revenue = cop paycheck.

To some police, and especially city officials, that's all there is to it.

mkroher
08-24-2007, 07:43 AM
So, what about chemical companies that have to blow off hard surfaces? Leave it in the driveways so little Johnny can play with the pellets? Sweeping would suck. I bet chem companies would start avoiding edges to avoid clean-up. Or go %100 liquid.

TPnTX
08-24-2007, 07:50 AM
There is a guy in Dallas Texas pushing for the same ordinance...

TPnTX
08-24-2007, 08:14 AM
but this guy is saying that blowing into the street is the problem not gas engines.

Mrs. H
08-24-2007, 09:44 AM
:angry: You know, that's just wrong! You're doing your job. If they wanted the street paved would they ask that certain equipment not be used. I realize that the city is not asking you to cut, but they should realize that your not just some joe on the street running a leaf blower for fun! Anyone can get annoyed by noise, but some noise is just a fact of life and if someone is doing a job.....

You know I don't like it when the city truck comes by to load debris, it's loud...but I don't run out and shake my fist at him! "Quiet down you hard working person!" :angry:

MarcSmith
08-24-2007, 10:52 AM
Ive never used, but makita makes an 18v cordless blower....
Blower Specifications
# Max. air volume: 78 cfm.
# Max. air velocity: 179 MPH
# No load speed: 0-18,000 RPM

the cfm sucks....

http://outdoors.pricegrabber.com/lawn-equipment-accessories/p/1111/form_keyword=cordless+blower/rd=1/mode=g_us_b_s/skd=1

Total Lawncare Solutions
08-24-2007, 08:58 PM
I hate to say this but it is YOUR FAULT that this by-law was passed.

Now, I'm not blaming all of you but you guys who go into res. neighborhoods before 8:30am and crank up blowers, you guys who blow debris all over the street, you guys who blow dust all over cars and other stuff are really the ones that created this mess.

They are trying to make it into an enviro law, but it's really the careless and thoughtless lawncare guys who pissed off a bunch of ppl. and got them mad enough to go to city council and get the ball rolling.

You would not believe how some of these companies use blowers around here. I driving down the street w/my windows cranked and here comes 2 guys w/high powered blowers blowing up a massive dust storm right in my window. Hell, I'm in the biz. and I wanted to get out and shove the blowers down their throat. Imagine John Q. Public.

MarcSmith
08-25-2007, 06:50 AM
total,

fix your GD font size, you must be compensated for something.

8:30 am...on a week day, most people are up and either at work or on their way to work, or kids have left and are on the their way to school. Is house frow jane wants to go back to bed thats her business. I'm not willing to hold up my schedule for a few cranks. especially when its 105* in the shade.

the worst part is that most electric blowers can be just as noisy as the gas blowers....

Mrs. H
08-25-2007, 07:41 AM
He said his by-law is restricted by season not time...excepte in gated communties where it is still ok. And, don't yell at him, you don't know that he's been blowing dust all over anyones cars.

Critical Care
08-25-2007, 11:50 AM
Going back to 1999, Rochester NY police were able to tow off cars that had their radios turned up too loud. This is not a tree hugger promoted ordinance, but rather an ordinance that snowballed from the 90s because of some citizens were up in arms about the loud noise. People joined in this crusade and complained about dust being created by blowers, but Rochester wasn’t the only place. In Los Angeles these noise abatement ordinances were also cropping up in the 90s. Some ingenious lawn care ops were actually using methanol in their blowers to get around the ban. Cities incited weird restrictions, blowing only on certain days, between certain hours, only for certain people, blowers had to be 65 decibels or less, and operators had to wear ear protection.

Okay, suffice to say that blowers can cause hearing damage, but so can a thousand other things. Unfortunately it’s also easy to clamp down on lawn care ops simply because most do not have the knowledge or willingness to fight these ordinances.

Here is something published by the No Noise Organization that you can laugh at: “According to the article, raking is a great alternative to using noisy leaf blowers. It's good, old-fashioned, calorie-burning exercise that can earn you a little extra money at the same time. Raking leaves is a fun way to get outdoors in the brisk autumn weather. An hour of vigorous raking burns around 250 calories -- the same amount as a relaxed, hour-long bike ride.”

Mrs. H
08-25-2007, 02:03 PM
Here is something published by the No Noise Organization that you can laugh at: “According to the article, raking is a great alternative to using noisy leaf blowers. It's good, old-fashioned, calorie-burning exercise that can earn you a little extra money at the same time. Raking leaves is a fun way to get outdoors in the brisk autumn weather. An hour of vigorous raking burns around 250 calories -- the same amount as a relaxed, hour-long bike ride.”

And cost you a boat load in payroll, reduce work production by limiting your time to fewer accounts....and kill your back!

Critical Care has a point. Maybe you and a few other reputable lawn care companies shold band together and maybe see if you can have allowances for licenced companies to use commercial equipment. If if they will amend it to only pertain to homeowners or othe non-buisness uses. Surely, if enough of you are effected by the ban, the city would have to consider something in order to be fair.

lawnman_scott
08-25-2007, 02:38 PM
I just know if they tried it here I would try to get people in the industry together to fight it. Just a good case of overzealous local poloticians.

lawnworker
08-25-2007, 04:43 PM
Total Lawncare, Until the liberal nut case, morons at city come to their senses, I would check into a twelve volt DC/AC inverter. I have not skimmed all the posts , so this might have been mentioned already. Good luck with it.

KTO Enterprises
08-25-2007, 11:36 PM
I just know if they tried it here I would try to get people in the industry together to fight it. Just a good case of overzealous local poloticians.

Good luck. People are too lazy to vote, much less make a stink about anything.

My feelings are that people who chose not to vote should not have any public voice with elected officials.