PDA

View Full Version : Literally SAW what a spark arrestor screen is for

Envy Lawn Service
08-21-2007, 10:36 PM
I for one have always believed in those pesky spark arrestor screens during droughts because I have seen fires started by stuff without them.

But never have I seen what I saw today...

Well, I picked up some more fluid film the other day and I decided I should oil up the RedMax hedge clippers. I've found they rust pretty easy and they will stick, so I figured I'd try he fluid film on them and see how that works out.

So I went to oiling and put a drink of gas in them to run them just a tad. By the time I got done it was getting sort of dark, and I was also wanting to see how the 80:1 mix was running in them (they smoke like a train at 50:1 and 64:1).

The CHT2200 machines have a down discharging exhaust, so I held them full tilt and turned them on their side in order to better see the exhaust. The first pair finally opened up on top end and ran like I thought it should for a second.

Then I saw a spark fly out the exhaust and it killed instantly before I had time to process what I saw. I though oh boy, it siezed. But it didn't, it had just lost fuel pickup.

So anyways, I thought I would put this up here for those who have said...
"I've never seen a SPARK fly out of the exhaust"

It's been really dry a lot of places and it wouldn't be a bad idea in install the spark arrestor and keep and eye on it until it rains again.

On a side note, I am now thinking that I'm sure these units are running too rich.
I was able to get them to run like a banshee again just a second before running out of fuel over and over.

lawnman_scott
08-21-2007, 11:34 PM
How bad was the fire?

Envy Lawn Service
08-22-2007, 12:31 PM
No fire in my case.

I was only doing maintenace in a safe environment.
The hedge clippers don't get used when it's dry like this without the screens.
Almost never used during droughts anyways....

But I have seen fires started by small engines... lots of them...