PDA

View Full Version : One guy nearly as fast as 2 ???

Grits
08-22-2007, 01:49 AM
I have been working solo for the past 2 weeks. Yesterday and today I noticed something. There is only about a 20 minute difference between me and a helper and me by myself. I actually kept track yesterday and it was exactly a 20 minute difference to do the route.....and I stopped and did 2 estimates. It seemed like the help that I was using was doing a fine job, guess I was wrong. AND, I think the properties look better when I do it all. So, more money in my pocket and a higher quality cut. Think I might stay solo for a while.
Does anyone have any insight as to why this is the case?

YoungGun
08-22-2007, 02:19 AM
When the owner dose it all him self it always looks better ALWAYS...
but if you have a efficent worker and a good system set up then it should take close to twice as long per lawn.
you have to think like this if you only have 20-60 lawns you can do um by your self comfortable.
but if you have more than that you might need help. with help say you cut 4 lawns in a hour thats 100per hour then say 10 for the worker!
by your self you make 50 bucks a hour say. So if your on a time scedual a worker is more efficent but if you have a extra few days cut by yourself and only hire when the rains comming

Stillwater
08-22-2007, 03:54 AM
I have been working solo for the past 2 weeks. Yesterday and today I noticed something. There is only about a 20 minute difference between me and a helper and me by myself. I actually kept track yesterday and it was exactly a 20 minute difference to do the route.....and I stopped and did 2 estimates. It seemed like the help that I was using was doing a fine job, guess I was wrong. AND, I think the properties look better when I do it all. So, more money in my pocket and a higher quality cut. Think I might stay solo for a while.

I suggest you do averages and not just clock 1 day, and say oh well not any faster. I couldn't disagree more.

rodfather
08-22-2007, 06:54 AM

I'd say something is definately wrong then.

Mike Fronczak
08-22-2007, 08:56 AM
I found the same thing years ago. A normal day to complete by myself would take about 2 hours longer. You have to keep in mind with that, that custmers were /are more likly to stop you to talk, it helps the customer relationship & extra add ons.

Grits
08-22-2007, 10:58 AM
I suggest you do averages and not just clock 1 day, and say oh well not any faster. I couldn't disagree more.

????? You couldn't disagree more with what? I know that 2 guys is supposed to be faster. But in my case it isn't all that true and I am wondering why. I could do averages all year long and I assure you it will be the same result. Apparently the guys that I had working were not as fast as they should be. I now have and idea of how fast they need to be, so in the future I can address the issue.

MarcSmith
08-22-2007, 11:33 AM
it should not be the case. when i first started. i was doing everything by myself....when I started to grow and picked up a helper. one of us would mow and blow, while the other trimmed and edged....

we would switch off who rides every few lawns that way one person was not stuck walking or riding all day...

I was not nearly as tired at the end of the day by halving a helper. you have ot remember by having a helper gives you the ability to get other things done, IE oil changes, billing, trip to the bank, ect, while the helper works...

GreenN'Clean
08-22-2007, 01:04 PM
I get more done doing it solo but I'm tired at the end of the day

fergman
08-22-2007, 05:15 PM
when you pull up to a job you have to fall out of the truck RIGHT THEN. you dont realise that EVERY MINUTE COUNTS. it MUST be like CLOCK WORK. when you get out of the truck be aggressive in getting done with your job. they need to eat between jobs if possible drink between jobs. when you step out of the truck its PURE BUISNESS. drive as fast as you can. your worker needs to know that if at all possible he needs to be done with weedeating and if possible blowing too by the time your done mowing. tell him to go around the driveway and house FIRST so that if he isnt done weedeating by the time your done mowing YOU can blow off and be done by the time he is. NEVER take a tool away from a man when hes working with it EVER. FROM DAY 1 AND I MEAN DAY 1 !!!! you HAVE to set a good example. let him know this aint no cartoon! if you walk comfortably back to the trailer then he will too. EVERY MINUTE !! counts. if you even step out of the truck and stand there listening to something hes still talking about when he was going down the road then YOU screwed up. the worker HAS to be trained by YOU. before you do anything ask yourself, am i going to spoil him when i do this? is he gonna want me to do this all the time? if you be defensive in your thinking toward them and try to pretend in your mind that he is looking for everyway to slow you down and try to get you to do part of his work then you can see things to prevent it. when they go back to the truck to get a drink its not time to stand around after you done guzzled down a whole bottle of tea or gatorade. its time to get a drink then go back to work. also if you dont do these things from the VERY BEGINNING you have already spoiled them and its almost impossible to get them to do right from then on. perfect example from THE START or your screwed. about the only thing there is to do with the ones that are done spoiled is to get rid of them and find someone else. ive also seen alot of people walk around every house 2,3 and sometimes 4 times to get everything weedeated:nono: thats ******ed. tell them what you do to make good time and hope that they will do the same. the things that they need to be thinking of you is that ... your a cool guy in the truck, but AS SOON as you turn the key off you hop out and BUST ACE cuz you ARE the man in charge and you aint friends no more they gotta do there work and get to it NOW! you had plenty of time to talk in the truck and its BUST ACE TIME! so grab a trimmer take off running and dont look up unless you get the feeling your gonna have a heat stroke and pass out infront of me where i cant stop in time. your workers will ONLY work as hard as you do IF that. parts may sound kinda cruel or not worth doing but its a fact. do exactly what i said and youll see that every minute counts. get fuel and drinks the night before. start AT DAYLIGHT and just do the small yards first so you can take a blower and bust the clumps out and move on. all these things are very essential i beileve to having a good employee. there are lots more things but i cant just sit here and think of all of them. good luck bud wish ya the best:weightlifter:

LushGreenLawn
08-22-2007, 05:32 PM
I agree to the above post to a point, but... Do not drive as fast as you can.
You need to be safe on the road with all that weight behind you, and an accident or a ticket is going to cost you a lot more time than driving in a safe manner. Also, by doing that you are setting an example for your employee. What happens when you finally trust him by himself with the truck, and he totals it, injures himself or another, and says "This is how the owner of the company asked me to drive".

nitro121
08-22-2007, 05:34 PM
I've only been over 10 accounts for the past 2 years....I used to do the 10 by myself.

But even when someone sucks or is on their first day or two, the route still goes faster. Not twice as fast, but still faster. Heck, I don't even go out anymore by myself....as long as I have at least 3 yards to cut to catch up, I bring the part time guy w/ me. Then I just ride on the mower and maybe blow if he's still weedeating. But 95% of my properties are 1/4 acre lots. But still...instead of me being out up to 3 hours...I'm home in 1 1/2 and give him 18 bucks.

Gary

fergman
08-22-2007, 05:45 PM
I agree to the above post to a point, but... Do not drive as fast as you can.
You need to be safe on the road with all that weight behind you, and an accident or a ticket is going to cost you a lot more time than driving in a safe manner. Also, by doing that you are setting an example for your employee. What happens when you finally trust him by himself with the truck, and he totals it, injures himself or another, and says "This is how the owner of the company asked me to drive".

your a million percent right , i completely said that all wrong. sorry

fergman
08-22-2007, 05:47 PM
your a million percent right , i completely said that all wrong. sorry

hey nitro 121. what part of virginia are you at? i think i might know you

Ric3077
08-22-2007, 06:09 PM
I run a 2 man crew...it doesn't cut my time in half from when I was solo...but I would say it does speed me up 40%. Due to the windshield time it will never be 50%.

nitro121
08-22-2007, 07:05 PM
I'm in Fredericksburg, Stafford, Spotsylvania. Just Grass is the business name. What about you?

Vikings
08-22-2007, 07:08 PM
I like working with people even thought I hate to pay them.

But if I'm alone I'm very lazy but I work steady. For me, because I've used several guys, it depends who is helping me. One guy is a complete imbecile and the other works very good.

bohiaa
08-22-2007, 08:17 PM

you may NOt understand this.

but, you will NOT put more money in your pockett staying solo.

supercuts
08-22-2007, 08:38 PM
once again i think it depends on how efficient you are. i know guys that have 20 lawns and employees. they spend as much time loading and unloading as they do cutting. also, i think it boils down to management. some people just arent cut out for running a business with employees.

i personall have 105+ lawns and 2 guys. the 1st guy saves a good deal of time, the 2nd, not nearly as much but a huge help on making things easier and hes there for the larger projects and will be great for fall cleanups. im looking into buying a 3rd Z for next year, sending my 2 guys out on their on as a 2nd crew and hiring 1-2 more. i definately see a great financial increase with employees and i work my butt off!

GreenT
08-22-2007, 11:57 PM
Let's try this again.

When you pull up to a job you have to fall out of the truck RIGHT THEN. You dont realise that EVERY MINUTE COUNTS. it MUST be like CLOCK WORK.

When you get out of the truck be aggressive in getting done with your job. they need to eat between jobs if possible drink between jobs. When you step out of the truck its PURE BUISNESS. Drive as fast as you can.

Your worker needs to know that if at all possible he needs to be done with weedeating and if possible blowing too by the time your done mowing. tell him to go around the driveway and house FIRST so that if he isnt done weedeating by the time your done mowing YOU can blow off and be done by the time he is. NEVER take a tool away from a man when hes working with it EVER.

FROM DAY 1 AND I MEAN DAY 1 !!!! you HAVE to set a good example. let him know this aint no cartoon!

If you walk comfortably back to the trailer then he will too. EVERY MINUTE !! counts. If you even step out of the truck and stand there listening to something hes still talking about when he was going down the road then YOU screwed up. The worker HAS to be trained by YOU.

Before you do anything ask yourself, am i going to spoil him when i do this? Is he gonna want me to do this all the time? If you be defensive in your thinking toward them and try to pretend in your mind that he is looking for everyway to slow you down and try to get you to do part of his work then you can see things to prevent it.

When they go back to the truck to get a drink its not time to stand around after you done guzzled down a whole bottle of tea or gatorade. Its time to get a drink then go back to work. Also if you dont do these things from the VERY BEGINNING you have already spoiled them and its almost impossible to get them to do right from then on. Perfect example from THE START or your screwed.

About the only thing there is to do with the ones that are done spoiled is to get rid of them and find someone else.

Ive also seen alot of people walk around every house 2,3 and sometimes 4 times to get everything weedeated:nono: thats ******ed. Tell them what you do to make good time and hope that they will do the same.

The things that they need to be thinking of you is that ... your a cool guy in the truck, but AS SOON as you turn the key off you hop out and BUST ACE cuz you ARE the man in charge and you aint friends no more they gotta do there work and get to it NOW! You had plenty of time to talk in the truck and its BUST ACE TIME! so grab a trimmer take off running and dont look up unless you get the feeling your gonna have a heat stroke and pass out infront of me where i cant stop in time.

Your workers will ONLY work as hard as you do IF that. Parts may sound kinda cruel or not worth doing but its a fact. Do exactly what i said and youll see that every minute counts. get fuel and drinks the night before. Start AT DAYLIGHT and just do the small yards first so you can take a blower and bust the clumps out and move on.

All these things are very essential i beileve to having a good employee. there are lots more things but i cant just sit here and think of all of them.

Good luck bud wish ya the best:weightlifter:

Punctuation please!!

Great post tho.

:waving:

lawnprosteveo
08-23-2007, 12:18 AM
When my wife helps me, she runs the Z and I do all the trimming and any 21" mowing. We go about twice as fast as when I am alone. But I have had helpers that didnt save me much time at all...and I had to keep checking their work. Not with my wife. She can run that machine as quick as me and does a nice job. I trim faster so I do all of that. So maybe its the quality of the helper.

jimmyzlc
08-23-2007, 12:38 AM
I agree with you Grits. I noticed a while back I got more done when my helper was not around. When he was around I wasn't as productive, I let up. He's nice to have around on those big two hour mow jobs, but on residential I do them just a little slower and better looking.

HOOLIE
08-23-2007, 12:48 AM
My employee is nowhere near the fastest lawnboy I've ever seen, but he is steady and does decent work. It's all in how you utilize your helper. While most of us like to park our arses on a rider and make the helper do all the crap work, that's usually not the fastest and most efficient way to work.

I do all the trimming and edging....I try to stay in sync with my guy who is running the hydro. I time it so we both finish our tasks around the same time. Unless you think your helper might be around for awhile and be crew leader material, it's just easier to have them do one or two things (like mowing and blowing)

A 20 min. lawn can easily stretch into 25-30 min. if you aren't in sync. If you're only shaving 20 minutes off the entire day's route, then something is WAY off Grits :confused: You might need to buy the guy a red cape :laugh:

topsites
08-23-2007, 01:00 AM
Just wait until you get 4-5 years past the starting line, the day you outrun the team of 2 across the street without really trying was the final revelation I needed. What I found mostly is I either got someone inexperienced but honest, or someone with years of an attitude and a sharp-minded wit, which is to say they're either slow and honest but once they get to be as fast as me they also know how to get over on me (and do), that's what I found time and again.

Now I outrun teams of 2 and 3, they pull up and fire up the Z and various other devices while I'm just using the Wb, it all depends what you're after but in my case I am way happier... Some Lco's are better supervising, some are better hands on, is really all it is.

fergman
08-23-2007, 01:57 AM
Let's try this again.

Punctuation please!!

Great post tho.

:waving:

whats a punctuation:confused:

just kiddin:) thanks

mcwlandscaping
08-23-2007, 02:33 AM
Kinda old thread but, i'll ad some.

This year i have finally found a helper that WORKS and learns quickly. He understands that quality and customer service is key. He also works at a big harley davidson dealership around here and gets his customer service skills from there. It has gotten to the point where mowing by myself is not efficient anymore as him and i can go through the route in honesly 3/4 to 1/2 the time as being on my own.

RICHIE K
08-23-2007, 06:59 AM
I love working solo, but just cant do it anymore just to busy

bohiaa
08-23-2007, 06:45 PM
I always did the "Gas Station trick"

hire a new guy, then making the gas station the 1st stop,

If this guy sits in the truck while you get out and do everything. he's worthless.....

ffemt1271
08-23-2007, 07:07 PM
i have been keeping up with my time for 2 years, hours worked, and time spent at each stop, by the minute. i have had several people helping me, but only 1 at the time. you would think you would be able to do twicw as many iin the same time, but a helper only saves you about 35% of the time, because drive time etc. is the same...you can't drive twice as fast cause you have a helper. etc.

nograss
08-23-2007, 10:46 PM
Don't forget to order your box. I could do 65 a week in 5 days but figured I was only buying my box faster. I now have 85 and a helper, however the helper is worth his weight in gold for mulching, edging, deweeding and other irrigation jobs that I can now do, otherwise I had to work Saturdays and not do anything else, and if it rained I was really screwed for a week. I have also cancelled my box order.

tomflan947
08-23-2007, 10:56 PM
I have been mowing for 2 years i have my own lawns and i also work for someone else we run a three man crew. i can mow and weedwack faster then anyone else all while paying att. to detail. i can mow faster then the owner. what it takes one guy an hour to do i can get done in 40-45 mins. all im trying to say is that the guy that was helping you was slow. are you running two mowers.

drmiller100
08-24-2007, 02:55 AM
two person crews are not as efficientas one person crews.

i have one person crews, and give them 10 percent of gross gross. if they want ot make money, they do.