PDA

View Full Version : Another Zero Turn Accident

puppypaws
08-22-2007, 02:36 AM
On the front page of the county seat newspaper today there was a big Exmark with the deck straight up in the air. They said the fellow was unloading and it flip over on top of him. They did not know how badly he was hurt but he used his cell phone to call for help because he was pinned to the ground. I guess I will get some more details later, there are some strange things that can happen.

LawnSharks
08-22-2007, 09:49 AM
Reid,
I saw that too in the Enquirer. No mention as to his condition but that is typical of our paper?????? Keep praying for rain, maybe we'll get some soon?
Jeff

puppypaws
08-22-2007, 11:32 AM
Reid,
I saw that too in the Enquirer. No mention as to his condition but that is typical of our paper?????? Keep praying for rain, maybe we'll get some soon?
Jeff

It is so easy to get hurt, it happens before you realize it is taking place.

I think it is the driest since 1986, I was just fortunate to get the corn planted early enough to catch a little water. I remember round bailing corn in 1986 because it would not pay for the fuel to run a combine over it.

I started at 6:30 this morning and mowed a few different spots, the junk cut like you were running over baling twine and these were newly sharpened blades. There is no moisture in the stems and it is very tough to cut, I even had to slow down and I don't do that often.

GreenN'Clean
08-22-2007, 01:05 PM
Was he unloading it off of a truck or trailer?

puppypaws
08-22-2007, 03:26 PM
Was he unloading it off of a truck or trailer?

The news reporter said he was backing off of a truck ramp and from what he said the gentleman is going to be fine.

He was very lucky it could have killed him.

dave k
08-22-2007, 07:40 PM
I'm glad he's going to be ok!

FinerCutslawnCare
08-22-2007, 07:46 PM
Lawnsharks...i wish i could give some of the rain i have been getting...i can hardley keep up! And tonight(no lie) we are supposed to get 4-5 inches!!!

bohiaa
08-22-2007, 07:50 PM
would like to see the pic

carcrz
08-22-2007, 08:33 PM
A friend of the wifes called me this AM about 1 of her friends breaking his back in 2 places earlier today. I guess she thought I might have been dumb enough to get myself in the same situation or something. I don't like heights & I sure as heck am smart enough to take my time & go easy if I'm in a tricky situation.

Americal Vet
08-22-2007, 09:17 PM
I've had a couple of close calls this summer but it didn't take much to wake me up and realize that it is a must to be safety aware at all times. It's human nature I guess for one to get a little laid back with routine because we have done it so many times.

So glad to hear the guy is okay.:clapping:

Kid With A Mower
08-22-2007, 09:46 PM
Glad to hear that he is ok. But isn't that what ROPS is for?

puppypaws
08-23-2007, 05:33 PM
would like to see the pic

I finally talked a sweet young lady at the newspaper into letting me have this picture. They sell these pictures so they block them from downloading.

mason dude
08-23-2007, 07:25 PM
geeez that photo is sobering,,,,1000 words,,,,, bad dreams tonight, thanks for planting that seed

Americal Vet
08-23-2007, 07:50 PM
I finally talked a sweet young lady at the newspaper into letting me have this picture. They sell these pictures so they block them from downloading.

Somebody needs to feed those guys! They look about to starve to death!

TheKingNJ
08-23-2007, 08:26 PM
I've been seeing this guy around mowing with a 52in Z out of the back of his dump truck. Loading it in and out with 6 foot ramps. I hope he doesn't wind up like that guy.

puppypaws
08-23-2007, 11:10 PM
Reid,
Jeff

They had a follow up article in the paper today. The man was 65 years old and stayed pinned under the mower for 1 hr. before he was freed. He had some broken ribs but is going to be alright.

The man said it was over a hundred degrees while he was under the mower, he finally got his cell phone but could not see how to dial and finally got someone in the phone memory to call 911. He made the statement if the Lord had not been with him he would have gotten killed but it just wasn't his time.

lawnman_scott
08-24-2007, 12:19 AM
A friend of the wifes called me this AM about 1 of her friends breaking his back in 2 places earlier today. I guess she thought I might have been dumb enough to get myself in the same situation or something. I don't like heights & I sure as heck am smart enough to take my time & go easy if I'm in a tricky situation.sadly its people that are too overconfident that get into bad situations because they think they are invincable, or just too smart.

Captain Pooby
08-24-2007, 01:01 AM
Did he drive the mower over the side of the ramp?

From the way the mower is sitting it doesn't look like it has ROPS.

I nearly rolled a non-ROPS z master down a 9 foot concrete embankment. Was driving up near the top when the Z started to slide down and I panicked, jammed the control arms to "ludicrous speed" in an attempt to avoid rolling over. I ended up riding the sucker down to the bottom, in a foot of water. Drove the mower up to the top of the embankment but needed a pull to get it out.

Guzman Properties
08-24-2007, 01:18 AM
Too many questions that can't be answered from the pic.

All in all it was an accident, could it have been prevented? (don't know)

Glad to hear the old man is ok.

Everyone remember, be safe!!!

Captain Pooby
08-24-2007, 01:33 AM
Too many questions that can't be answered from the pic.

All in all it was an accident, could it have been prevented? (don't know)

Glad to hear the old man is ok.

Everyone remember, be safe!!!

From the looks of it an ROPS would have saved him some broken ribs but not a new pair of pants.

Guzman Properties
08-24-2007, 01:39 AM
Did he remove the ROPS because he only cuts flat properties and needs to go under trees?

And never thought of the safety factor for getting in and out of his truck/trailer?

Bagit
08-24-2007, 08:01 AM
The news reporter said he was backing off of a truck ramp and from what he said the gentleman is going to be fine.

10,000 dollar exmark + 0 trailer = idiot. Im glad the ol guy wasn't hurt, but geez if you spend that much for a cutter you have to atleast protect your investment, even if your not worried about your arse!

puppypaws
08-24-2007, 08:58 AM
10,000 dollar exmark + 0 trailer = idiot. Im glad the ol guy wasn't hurt, but geez if you spend that much for a cutter you have to atleast protect your investment, even if your not worried about your arse!

Sometimes when you get a little age on yourself your brain knows what you are suppose to do but your body doesn't always respond to those commands as well as when you were younger.

I have all ideas he had something on his mind and has backed a mower down ramps many times but for a split second his brain did not work with his body, this is the way most accidents happen. You can bet his brain will work with his body on backing a mower down ramps for the rest of his life. His concentration will be at a much higher level from remembering what happened in the same situation previously.

MTR999
08-24-2007, 01:12 PM

Loading and unloading a Z out of trunk bed with ramps is the most stupid thing to do on earth. The so-called 700lbs on each ramp combined to 1400lbs don't mean a squat if he slides or tires out of alignment with the ramp which is obviously what happened to the guy. When you tired and heat exhuastion, your brian and eyes are not totally coordinated cause you just want to get it done and go...thank god , the guy did not die

jkingrph
08-24-2007, 01:23 PM
Loading and unloading a Z out of trunk bed with ramps is the most stupid thing to do on earth. The so-called 700lbs on each ramp combined to 1400lbs don't mean a squat if he slides or tires out of alignment with the ramp which is obviously what happened to the guy. When you tired and heat exhuastion, your brian and eyes are not totally coordinated cause you just want to get it done and go...thank god , the guy did not die

Agreed, when I bought m zt I only had a set of two folding ramps to use with a lawn tractor on my utility trailer. I found and ordered a 7'long by I think 54" wide folding ramp rated aat 1500lbs. When It arrived the label said 1000lbs and m zt weighs in at about 1150lbs empty. I called and the dealer mfr would not back up using it, but the dealer offered to replace it, so no problem.

I always back up the ramp onto the trailer, it just feels safer

Captain Pooby
08-24-2007, 04:55 PM
I think the moral of the story is don't park your ZTR in a truck.

Trailers or Box trucks with ramps that have railings are better.

puppypaws
08-25-2007, 12:13 PM
Here is the follow up newspaper article.

Trapped man used cell phone to get help

BY JILLIAN LEAMY
Staff Writer
MONROE
Imagine being stuck under a 1,900-pound machine in broad day-light and blistering heat, yelling for assistance — but no one can hear you. Larry Stevenson, 65, of 4109 John Stevenson Road in Monroe, was unloading an industrial lawn mower on Monday around 3:30 p.m. when the mower ran off the right side of the trailer and flipped over, pinning him to the ground face down outside his home.
Stevenson, an employ-ee of Charlotte Plastics in Monroe, said that he was stuck under the mower for a substantial period of time before anyone came to his aid.
“I spent 45 minutes or better in the hot sun with about 1,900 pounds on top of me,” Stevenson said. “I was pinned down and did everything I could to get the lawn mower off of me, but it was too heavy.”
Stevenson, whose home is located in a sub-division close to the intersection of Rocky River Road and U.S. 74, said that he tried yelling for assistance, but that there was no one around to hear him.
“I laid out there for awhile and hollered, but couldn’t get any help,” said Stevenson, who added that he was “hurt-ing and scared” while he was alone and trapped.
Finally, Stevenson said he was able to get to his cell phone, but added that his troubles were still far from over.
“I worked the cell phone out of my pocket and got it up to my face, but the sun was shining on the phone and I could not see,” said Stevenson, who added that because he could not see the numbers to call 911, he used his contact list on his phone and called the first number available, which was his ex-girl-friend.
“I was not really get-ting a response from my ex-girlfriend’s number,” he said. “All I can remember was someone saying ‘What are you doing calling me?’” said Stevenson, who added that he tried to say who he was and what had happened.
See
TRAPPED/ Page 8A

Next, he was able to call neighbor Terry McClure at work.
Stevenson said that McClure and her daughter, Rebecca, lived in the neigh-borhood but are staying in his home during a transi-tional period. Terry McClure got the call and called Rebecca, who was inside the Stevenson home and immediately called 911 after seeing Stevenson in peril outside.
The Monroe Fire Department was dis-patched to the scene around 4 p.m., and Stevenson said that he was freed at about 4:30 — roughly an hour after the mower toppled and pinned him down.
Bakers and Unionville volunteer fire departments responded to the scene, along with the Monroe Fire Department, Monroe Police Department and Union EMS.
Stevenson said that the hospital gave him excellent treatment, despite prob-lems of their own.
“The folks at the hospital did the best they could,” he said. “Man, they had a full ER, with some people wait-ing in the hall.”
Stevenson added that a CAT scan of his chest revealed seven broken ribs, but that he refused any pain medication.
As for the incident, Stevenson said that he feels grateful to be alive.
“The good Lord did not see fit to call my number,” he said. “By all rights, if the good Lord had not been with me, I would be dead right now and someone would be writing my obitu-ary.”

screensnot
08-25-2007, 11:32 PM
“By all rights, if the good Lord had not been with me, I would be dead right now and someone would be writing my obitu-ary.”

If the Lord was with him, why didn't He just stop the ZTR from flipping in the first place?

Captain Pooby
08-26-2007, 12:18 AM
If the Lord was with him, why didn't He just stop the ZTR from flipping in the first place?

The Lord sometimes allows us to be hurt by our own stupidity to teach us a lesson.

In my case it was signing up for Lawn ****. I have suffered greatly due to the tards at that website.

puppypaws
08-26-2007, 12:21 AM

God does not lead you around with a ring in your nose so he can protect you.

He lets you make your own decisions and when you screw up that is part of life's lessons so hopefully you will learn from them.

Now when your number is pulled that is a situation where God will see to it personally that you no longer live on this earth.

I had a highway patrolman that has been on the force for 23 years tell me he has seen it to many times. There will be wrecks where people are running 130 mph and the vehicles torn up so bad there should be no way anyone could live through it, yet they walk away. Then he has seen wrecks with people running 30 mph that gets killed.

We have no idea or control of what may happen to us tomorrow but you can believe if it concerns us we will part of the plan.

Dunn's
08-26-2007, 12:34 AM
all this god talk I just had to point out that they have now release letters from Mother theresa's diaries. Showing had started not believe that god existed atleast for the last 50 years of her life she did not.

Wonder why someone like mother theresa would have doubts as to gods existance.

Ponder that one will ya.

puppypaws
08-26-2007, 09:46 AM
all this god talk I just had to point out that they have now release letters from Mother theresa's diaries. Showing had started not believe that god existed atleast for the last 50 years of her life she did not.

Wonder why someone like mother theresa would have doubts as to gods existance.

Ponder that one will ya.

Was "Mother Teresa" human, if so I would say she makes mistakes just like you and I do. I've seen pictures of her and looked very hard and have yet to see any wings protruding from her shoulders.

To the best of my knowledge, the bible and it's writings have been around a little longer than "Mother Teresa" was.

I am not trying to change your beliefs, just stating a few facts.