PDA

View Full Version : Best Mower for Wet Grass??....

McFarland_Lawn_Care
08-22-2007, 11:16 AM
Hey Everyone,
Up here in Maine we have a LOT of dew EVERY morning in the summer since the temps dip down so much at night. Because of this, I haven't been starting my mowing until around 10:00 after the sun dries it off. This is a big pain and puts me way behind. I have a Toro Z master 48" and a couple Toro 21" and they all clump with wet grass. I want to buy ANY mower that will handle wet grass the best. Looking for a walkbehind, but will take a zero turn also.... any suggestions would be REALLY apreciated!!! I've seen some Walkers mowing in the pooring rain...they seem to run fine, but still clump the grass a lot. I don't expect NO clumping, but a minimum would be excellent. Thanks so much....I rarely post on here but read OFTEN and have learned a lot from other Professionals on here.:usflag:

Meg-Mo
08-22-2007, 12:12 PM
It's not the mower as much as it is the blades you use. Since we invented the MEG MO blades we do not have those problems any more.

All_Toro_4ME
08-22-2007, 12:19 PM
Meg Mo or gator blades and raise your deck. I have the same equipment as you and have cut grass that was absolutely soaked from all the flooding we had back in May, June and July (42+ days of straight rain/flooding) and didn't have any problems. Had to cut between storms.

McFarland_Lawn_Care
08-22-2007, 12:34 PM
It's not the mower as much as it is the blades you use. Since we invented the MEG MO blades we do not have those problems any more.

Meg-Mo....where can I get your blades from? Thanks for the replies and ALL_Toro_4me.. thanks...

Jason

McFarland_Lawn_Care
08-22-2007, 12:46 PM
Nevermind...just found Meg_mo website... I'm kind of suspicious about them and it doesn't look like an easy/quick removal if I wanted to put regular blades on them. I may try regular high lift blades first. Thanks for the info, I'll read up on the Meg mo system some more and I'll think about putting it on a walkbehind next spring. Thank you...... =) ;D

T Total Lawncare
08-22-2007, 12:49 PM
What does wet grass look like?;)

Dano50
08-22-2007, 01:02 PM
Try using Fluid Film (http://www.eurekafluidfilm.com)on the deck. Use it regularly and it should help quite a bit.

Meg-Mo
08-22-2007, 01:17 PM
The MEG MO blades go on your mower just like OEM blades do. We make the MEG MO blades to fit just like OEM blades do.

sawman65
08-22-2007, 04:30 PM
looks like meg mo has started a thread under cover lol! any who find you an old exmark with the tri-vantage deck. nothing better for cutting in that morning dew or finishing one up in the pouring rain.

KTO Enterprises
08-22-2007, 04:34 PM
This is where I will toot scags horn for them. I have never seen anything outcut a scag in the wet.

McFarland_Lawn_Care
08-22-2007, 05:58 PM
Thank you to Sawman and KTO....this is Really what I was looking for... another mower anyways.....I'm afraid I don't have a scag dealer around here, but I'll keep my eyes open for the old Exmark.....thanks again...

Jason

greengiant9963
08-22-2007, 06:49 PM
In my opinion the top 3 are Scag, JohnDeere and Everride.

deerex
08-22-2007, 07:37 PM
Im going to try and set a record for pissing people off, ok here goes. I think John Deere 7 iron and 7 iron 2 are awesome decks in the wet stuff great cut and you never have to scrape the deck, and I mean never! Meg Mo are the worst cutting blades I have ever used. I have a trivantage 52 deck and I think that is a bad deck in wet conditions, I like it a lot when dry but hate in the wet. Maby the 7 irons have spoiled me in the wet stuff.:drinkup:

The mayor
08-22-2007, 08:19 PM
toro with a sfs deck. Too bad the cut is just average when the grass dry.

jtkplc
08-22-2007, 09:51 PM
Exmark Triton gets my vote. Just mowed minutes after a thunderstorm this morning and the grass came out of the deck like it was dry. Amazing deck. I can't get it to clump.

MOturkey
08-22-2007, 10:19 PM
Guess I might as well chime in. I bought a new Gravely 260Z first of June, with the new XDZ deck. Mowed in, and after the rain on several occasions, and have mowed wet crabgrass 18 inches and more high with little to no deck clogging. Now, the 18 inch crabgrass clumped a little, but normal turf, clumping was virtually non-existant. Far superior to my previous Gravely, where wet grass is concerned.

cutbetterthanyou
08-22-2007, 10:22 PM
This is where I will toot scags horn for them. I have never seen anything outcut a scag in the wet.

I don't know what scag you used but the one w/ the advatage decks suck in wet grass, maybe the new ones are better. That is the only reason beside there crappy bagging set up that i got rid of mine. I have ultracut decks on exmarks and can cut in the rain if i feel like it

KTO Enterprises
08-22-2007, 10:24 PM
I have the velocity plus deck. I do not like their bagging system, although I like how tough it is being that there isnt a plastic housing, its very hard to take off. I have a snapper that is a bag only mower. The scag is for nothing but cutting.

jpmako
08-22-2007, 10:32 PM
John Deere 7 Iron Decks are the absolute best in wet/ tall grass!!!
I have had the following machines and will tell you first hand they do not even come close in cut quality.

1. Lesco - Junk IMO
2. Scag - Clump City when wet and they cut like S**T IMO
3. Bobcat - Very reliable cutting machine but no blade tip speed whatsoever.

If I had to use something other than Deere they would be in this order

1. Everide
2. Exmark
3. Ferris

Anybody want to buy a Scag?

meets1
08-22-2007, 10:38 PM
I ran the last 3 hours in the rain tonight - deck was up a bit, meg blades, no clumps - looks awesome! Oh - I am runnen 4 Z's all TORO!

In regards to Deere - side by side comparison - hands down, pull the curtains, the show is over compared to my Toro's. This year I updated and bought 2 new Z's. I had a compariable Deere and Kubota - I was looking for comfort, quality & ease of controls. Money was not an option -

Toro won out!

smcunningham
08-23-2007, 12:04 AM
My Turf Tiger (Scag) with the old advantage deck cut all day yesterday in the rain, no bogging, no clogging and no clumps. I did'nt evan have to scrape the deck at the end of the day. Oem blades, freshly sharpened thats it.

Envy Lawn Service
08-23-2007, 02:48 AM
The only one I know for a fact that produces fantastic results in the wet is the Command Cut deck found on the new Lesco's and Cubs.

The Great Dane Gen II deck does well also, however... it cloggs and needs cleaning whereas the Command Cut does not.

Outside of these I've read bragging on the new Velocity Plus deck from Scag, the John Deere's and the Everrides.

Cooter
08-23-2007, 02:55 AM
What blade setup are you guys running on the Deere 7 IRON. I bought my Deere because it is the best in these situatoins. Lately I've been having not so great results. We've also had alot of rain lately. No clumping, just not dispersing the grass as well as it should. I'm even running doubles, factory blades and a set of gator blades.

swingset
08-23-2007, 05:19 AM
I suggest you use "Swingset's Magical Clump-B-Gone", apply it liberally to your lower extremities, and gargle generously before starting your morning routine. You'll have better luck in the wet grass.

I just wanted to jump in like Fluid Filmy and Meg-Mo and shamelessly hawk something. I get to feeling left out, not having any snake oil of my own.

lawnjockey56
08-23-2007, 07:55 AM
florida rain here all the time and my scag slices through like butter-its all in the blades guys.

greengiant9963
08-23-2007, 09:32 AM
looks like meg mo has started a thread under cover lol! any who find you an old exmark with the tri-vantage deck. nothing better for cutting in that morning dew or finishing one up in the pouring rain.

Wow...would have to disagree. Out of all the mowers I have ever used the trivantage has been the worse when cutting wet grass. But for me it does leave a great cut in the right conditons.

Envy Lawn Service
08-23-2007, 02:58 PM
Wow...would have to disagree. Out of all the mowers I have ever used the trivantage has been the worse when cutting wet grass. But for me it does leave a great cut in the right conditons.

Ditto Bro.... :cry:

Dano50
08-23-2007, 03:08 PM
I suggest you use "Swingset's Magical Clump-B-Gone", apply it liberally to your lower extremities, and gargle generously before starting your morning routine. You'll have better luck in the wet grass.

I just wanted to jump in like Fluid Filmy and Meg-Mo and shamelessly hawk something. I get to feeling left out, not having any snake oil of my own.

Well, I'm sure Fluid Film will help make you regular. Oh, and it's not snake oil. It's the real deal, so there. :laugh:

I got in another shamless plug. :)

Accu-cut Lawn Care
08-23-2007, 03:15 PM
Well, Fluid Film won't make your erections last but I'm sure it will help make you regular. Oh, and it's not snake oil. It's the real deal, so there. :laugh:

No offense FF; but I'd have to say that coating mower decks is one of the worst applications for your product... especially in wet conditions. FF is a good product for stuff like hedge trimmer blades.

Dano50
08-23-2007, 03:23 PM
No offense FF; but I'd have to say that coating mower decks is one of the worst applications for your product... especially in wet conditions. FF is a good product for stuff like hedge trimmer blades.

None taken. I'll take some negative feedback. I always say that Fluid Film will HELP with the problem. It's not what it was formulated to do. I have, however, heard good things from other users for this application. I think it's a matter of amount being applied and how often. This one seems to go both ways. I haven't really figured out why.

lawnjockey56
08-23-2007, 05:06 PM
None taken. I'll take some negative feedback. I always say that Fluid Film will HELP with the problem. It's not what it was formulated to do. I have, however, heard good things from other users for this application. I think it's a matter of amount being applied and how often. This one seems to go both ways. I haven't really figured out why.

i use pam -just on rain days and it rinses right off when i want it off

Dano50
08-23-2007, 05:30 PM
i use pam -just on rain days and it rinses right off when i want it off

That's the difference with Fluid Film. It can really absorb into the metal, especially after a few applications. That's where it also helps protect from corrosion.

wahlturfcare
08-23-2007, 06:02 PM
i have a a 98' or so scag 52'' walkbehind that mows awesome in the rain. for the past to weeks we've been getting tons of rain here and i mowed a couple in a down pour today wit the grass being about 5-6'' tall without clumping or skipping at 3- 3 1/2''. I've used scag, ferris, toro, great dane and scag is by fat the best. I can get some pics of it in the rain if you want.

I just us high lift blades and go slow, if you bounce the mower around you will start clumping if you have any grass stuck underneath.

KTO Enterprises
08-23-2007, 06:26 PM
That's the difference with Fluid Film. It can really absorb into the metal, especially after a few applications. That's where it also helps protect from corrosion.

That also causes problems if you have to re weld anything or weld a patch in.

lawnjockey56
08-23-2007, 08:15 PM

and fluid film in no way voids deck warranty??

Envy Lawn Service
08-23-2007, 10:50 PM

Me either...

I think it is a matter of what you are trying to keep off that is getting on...

I think the wet nature of fluid film might help on some of those decks that seem to weld a hard coating of stuff to the top of the deck. Helps keep it from bonding that way and eases scraping...

FF don't help on eXmarks, but I have read where it's working for some guys.

In the end, there's nothing like just having a deck that stays clean naturally.
Can't beat that...

Dano50
08-24-2007, 12:23 PM
That also causes problems if you have to re weld anything or weld a patch in.

Welding isn't really a problem with Fluid Film. It's got a high flash point. Just have to wipe it back before starting.

Dano50
08-24-2007, 12:25 PM
and fluid film in no way voids deck warranty??

Never heard of any problems and I don't know why it would. I guess you just need to read your warranty to find out.

wahlturfcare
08-24-2007, 12:27 PM
heres a couple pictures of my mowers out on the rain.
The first one is my scag 52'' walkbehind mowing 5'' or taller bluegrass without clumping or skipping in a downpour and the second is my 61'' turf tiger mowing 4'' tall fecue/bluegrass mixture without problems. Been mowing like this everyday for 2 weeks.

thats why i love scags and also the old thumb control ferris 52''. great decks for wet grass.

swingset
08-24-2007, 12:38 PM
Well, I'm sure Fluid Film will help make you regular. Oh, and it's not snake oil. It's the real deal, so there. :laugh:

I'm just pulling your string. I've used it before, it's good stuff.