PDA

View Full Version : Pictures/Ideas for Single Story Rancher

douglee25
08-22-2007, 11:34 AM
I have a single story ranch that I'm trying to get some ideas concerning accent lighting. Not only do I want this for asthetics, but I'm looking at it from a security point of view as well. The area is very very dark in the evening.

The is the best picture I can find on my work computer of my home (one with the truck blocking most of the pic). I also attached another shot of a house similar to mine. I'll have to get a better picture after work. The home is a single story ranch that is approximately 40W X 30D. I also have a garage on the right side that I'll probably light at a later time after I do a new driveway install.

My initial thought was to use uplighting 36 degree floods for the windows. Because my house isn't very wide, does it serve me well to place lights on either side of the 30" window on one in the center? For the larger window (90" wide) I can see placing one on each corner. I also plan to place floods on either corner of the house to provide some definition and depth. Since my house is rather flat on the front, it's throwing me for a slight loop.

Thanks again.

Doug

Chris J
08-22-2007, 01:29 PM
um, let me get back to you. I need to think about this.....:help:

NightScenes
08-22-2007, 03:49 PM
I will really have to see some other shots of this.

douglee25
08-22-2007, 04:21 PM

Of my house? I'll get some shortly when I get home.

Doug

kjslawn
08-22-2007, 04:52 PM
Nice truck I have an 84 with the same wheels 350 engine still runs like a champ.

kjslawn
08-22-2007, 04:52 PM
sorry no help for your house just liked your truck

Landscape Illuminating
08-22-2007, 04:58 PM
This looks like it could be a tough proposition. Without having much of any landscaping whatsoever in front of the house can make for a very tough project.
There just doesn't seem to be a whole lot to work with. There does however, appear to be a good sized tree in the front yard. You could possibly concentrate on some uplighting and moonlighting on this tree and any other trees in the vicinity to give some shadow lighting on the yard and possibly the pathway.

-LI

Ok, so that's not your house in the second picture. Forget everything I said!

douglee25
08-22-2007, 05:03 PM
sorry no help for your house just liked your truck

If you liked the truck, you'll like what's under the hood. :dancing: I threw a tuned port injected motor from an IROC camaro back when I was younger. It was almost a show truck at one time believe it or not. I even redid the entire interior in tones of gray and black. I just sold it back in March. I owned that truck for almost 12 years. It made a lot of money for me when I used to landscape.

I replaced it with the F250 with a v10. :) I still have my M3 for fun.

Doug

douglee25
08-22-2007, 05:13 PM
um, let me get back to you. I need to think about this.....:help:

This looks like it could be a tough proposition. Without having much of any landscaping whatsoever in front of the house can make for a very tough project.
There just doesn't seem to be a whole lot to work with. There does however, appear to be a good sized tree in the front yard. You could possibly concentrate on some uplighting and moonlighting on this tree and any other trees in the vicinity to give some shadow lighting on the yard and possibly the pathway.

-LI

Ok, so that's not your house in the second picture. Forget everything I said!

OK, home from work. Here's my house. It's not that bad.

I'll update the first post as well.

Edit: Looks like I can't update the first post.

Doug

Landscape Illuminating
08-22-2007, 05:18 PM
Mmmmmmm.....tree lighting it is!

douglee25
08-22-2007, 05:19 PM
Mmmmmmm.....tree lighting it is!

Do you or anyone else have recommendations as far as light selection or placement for the house? I'd like to provide some sort of uplighting. You can see why it's so darn dark though. That tree shields any surrounding light.

Doug

SamIV
08-22-2007, 05:48 PM
Please don't take this the wrong way, but maybe you could improve the landscaping before you add lighting to your property. With better looking landscaping, you will receive better advice on your landscape lighting.

SamIV
Accent Outdoor Lighting

Pro-Scapes
08-22-2007, 05:53 PM
Please don't take this the wrong way, but maybe you could improve the landscaping before you add lighting to your property. With better looking landscaping, you will receive better advice on your landscape lighting.

SamIV
Accent Outdoor Lighting

How could he possibly take that the wrong way.

I would light most of it from tree mounted fixtures tho. If you want security several well placed fixtures in the tree lighting the tree and home will certainly make a would be prowler move on down the road to a darker home.

Definatly do something with the landscape tho.

BTW. Quality tree lighting is probably not something you would want to embark on yourself.

douglee25
08-22-2007, 05:59 PM

SamIV
Accent Outdoor Lighting

I'm not sure what pictures you're referring to. If it's the first post, disregard that and scroll to bottom of the first page. If money were no object, then I'd agree with you. I pretty much have redone the entire inside of the house since I bought it last year. All the money has gone to the inside, not the outside.

I won't take your post offensively, but your post does nothing to help me. Did you read my first post? It's very dark in front of my house, and for security reasons as well as some asthetic reasons, I'd like to add some light. Landscaping will get me nothing.

Doug

TXNSLighting
08-23-2007, 08:34 AM
the only thing to light would be trees. you really couldnt do much with the house. Moon lighting will light alot of the house.

douglee25
08-23-2007, 08:52 AM
the only thing to light would be trees. you really couldnt do much with the house. Moon lighting will light alot of the house.

Can you explain in a little more detail why you could not do much with the house? Is it due to the flat nature of the home construction or lack of landscaping? Most of the work I've seen on this board (been a lurker for a while) seems to be done on very high end housing which obviously isn't the case here. I purchased the home to not only live in for a short time, but also for investment purposes. As I said previously, the landscaping will be addressed, but it's not a priority on the list at the moment.

Thanks again for the help.

Doug

NiteTymeIlluminations
08-23-2007, 08:56 AM
At first I thought you were in the cleveland area...now I see New Jersey...email me...and I'll help you figure out what you need...you have some great tree with great trunk structures, we can make them look great...we'll do it up right...

douglee25
08-23-2007, 09:05 AM
At first I thought you were in the cleveland area...now I see New Jersey...email me...and I'll help you figure out what you need...you have some great tree with great trunk structures, we can make them look great...we'll do it up right...

Email sent.

Doug

douglee25
08-23-2007, 09:20 AM
It was rejected. What email address should I use?

Thanks again.

Doug

Pro-Scapes
08-23-2007, 12:44 PM
well i know there is some Jersy installers on this board. Am I the only one a bit confused as to why a dist jumped in to help instead of letting one of the installers get a chance ? I know chances are this guy will do it himself but tree lighting is again not something for the amature or DIY in my opinion.

klkanders
08-23-2007, 01:00 PM
Hey Billy, I think help was offered because thats all this guy wants is help and keeps asking for it but wasnt getting it. If Doug offers up some fixtures choices and install methods more power to him. I got the message this guy maybe wants to do this himself and if he can't he can then seek help. We are all DIY'rs to a degree. Many eventually become our best customers!
Take Care!

TXNSLighting
08-23-2007, 01:10 PM
Can you explain in a little more detail why you could not do much with the house? Is it due to the flat nature of the home construction or lack of landscaping? Most of the work I've seen on this board (been a lurker for a while) seems to be done on very high end housing which obviously isn't the case here. I purchased the home to not only live in for a short time, but also for investment purposes. As I said previously, the landscaping will be addressed, but it's not a priority on the list at the moment.

Thanks again for the help.

Doug

the house is just to plain, and nothin really to accent on it...

douglee25
08-23-2007, 01:34 PM
I must say for my first post I am quite disappointed. :confused:

1. I searched the board regarding basic lighting methods/ideas for a single story rancher. I found nothing and hence this post. Many posts on this board claim "Let the Pro's take care of it". Is there any reason why I can't post and learn more so one day I too could be a 'Pro'?

2. Rather than advice given in the post, I was told I needed to first do something with the landscaping before I would receive replies. Was that listed in the forum rules somewhere?

3. I have an installer complaining that a distributor chimed in to help rather than a fellow installer local to me given the opportunity first. Who started this thread anyway?

4. I did have a few people and distributors chime in with advice. For that I thank you. :)

I belong to several forums and I have never experienced this kind of 'welcoming'.... EVER!

I don't claim to be an expert, but I dabble in quite a bit. What does it take to get a clear, concise answer? Do I need to write out V = I R multiple times before I can get help? Do I have to come in here and start throwing around what type of engineering degrees I hold in order to get respect to show I'm aware of how voltage drop effects lighting? Honestly, it's all irrelevant. I came here as 'Joe Schmoe' looking for some help, and I didn't get more than a couple positive or helpful responses.

Doug

NightScenes
08-23-2007, 02:51 PM
I must say for my first post I am quite disappointed. :confused:

1. I searched the board regarding basic lighting methods/ideas for a single story rancher. I found nothing and hence this post. Many posts on this board claim "Let the Pro's take care of it". Is there any reason why I can't post and learn more so one day I too could be a 'Pro'?

2. Rather than advice given in the post, I was told I needed to first do something with the landscaping before I would receive replies. Was that listed in the forum rules somewhere?

3. I have an installer complaining that a distributor chimed in to help rather than a fellow installer local to me given the opportunity first. Who started this thread anyway?

4. I did have a few people and distributors chime in with advice. For that I thank you. :)

I belong to several forums and I have never experienced this kind of 'welcoming'.... EVER!

I don't claim to be an expert, but I dabble in quite a bit. What does it take to get a clear, concise answer? Do I need to write out V = I R multiple times before I can get help? Do I have to come in here and start throwing around what type of engineering degrees I hold in order to get respect to show I'm aware of how voltage drop effects lighting? Honestly, it's all irrelevant. I came here as 'Joe Schmoe' looking for some help, and I didn't get more than a couple positive or helpful responses.

Doug

I believe that most here are trying to be helpful to you and tactful at the same time. As professional landscape lighting designers, we want to accent the good things on a property and downplay the not so good things. Your home is very plain and would not look good with lighting on it. Therefore it was suggested that you highlight your landscape and let the ambient light filter gently onto the house. This will be a great effect for your property.

Use a couple of Vista 5270 well lights on the smaller tree. I would suggest using 35watt lamps with 60 degree beam spreads. I would then suggest placing 3 down lights (Kichler 15494AZT) in the larger tree to illuminate your walkway and lawn areas. This light will also spill onto your home. I would recommend 20 watt lamps with 60 degree beams for this. If you would like a little more punch, you could cross light the bushes on each end of the home. This would add even more light to the house itself. I suggest bullet lights with 20 watt lamps and 60 degree beams. You might even want to add spread lenses to these in order to make that beam even wider.

So, I hope that this is what you were looking for. Good luck with this project and welcome to the wonderful world of landscape lighting.

NiteTymeIlluminations
08-23-2007, 03:41 PM
My understanding was that he was a landscaper...I was tired of him getting treated horribly on this forum and I felt for the guy...not everyone can spend thousands of dollars on landscaping...there's no reason to tell someone where to spend their time and money...I was astonish by some of the comments on this forum toward his truck, house, etc...I was actually emabrassed...he wanted some ideas and nobody was giving him anything but grief...

NiteTymeIlluminations
08-23-2007, 03:49 PM
wow I typed the previous response before I read douglee's response. I guess I wasn't the only one who felt like he was being treated like crap...everyone should be very dissappointed...there are ways to say thing....People are going to think lighting guys are too conceited to help anyone but themselves someday...

Some people need to think about how they got educated, how they learned the industry...how they didn't know what leses to use in what situations and how they learned it then return the favor...it wasn't but a year ago some of the people on this forum who are now boasting how much they know didnt know crap!!!

NiteTymeIlluminations
08-23-2007, 03:54 PM
I want to see what happens if i would go to the grass cutting thread and asked for some advice on how to keep my stripes on my 6 acre front yard straight...I have a 48" Scag Tiger cub, any advice...I bet the grass cutters don't tell me to get a different mower or hire a professional to cut my grass and mulch my gardens...

ccfree
08-23-2007, 09:16 PM
It sounds like douglee25 wants some lights on his home. If he wants that look, then let him get that look. Most of us can design with the best of them. But if the homeowner knows what they want....then give it to them. It is totally a subjective point of view. Besides, a totally lit up dark house looks 10 times better that a totally dark house.

SamIV
08-23-2007, 10:59 PM
I don't believe anyone here told him to go out and spend thousands on landscaping. We suggested this because he has the knowledge to do landscaping at a resoluble cost to him. Maybe someone here has a hidden agenda to sell lighting products. We have nothing to gain. Just giving sound advice. Most here were preceded with comments to suggest that we were not trying to be negative and offering professional advice. Once again Douglee25, my suggestions were not meant to be negative in any way.

SamIV