PDA

View Full Version : Seed Selection

fall46
08-22-2007, 01:05 PM
Ok this is what mix I currently have on my lawn.

• 20% NuGlade Kentucky Bluegrass
• 20% Denim Kentucky Bluegrass
• 15% Inspire Perennial Ryegrass
• 20% Kenicott Creeping Red Fescue
• 25% Pennlawn Creeping Red Fescue

Needless to say I haven’t been very happy with it,,, doesn’t seem to respond well in heat periods. I get fair amount of dead grass each spring and for how much I like a nice looking lawn I’m generally not pleased. Long story short I would like to overseed and incorporate more Bluegrass into the lawn. I have two options of Bluegrass. Not knowing a ton about each species/type of Bluegrass I hoping you can help me work through the pros/cons of the 2 mixes I’m considering.

MIX #1

Bluegrass is widely used for lawns, parks, ball fields, golf fairways and general purpose turf. Desire more fertilizing and irrigation.
40% Denim Kentucky Bluegrass
20% Washington Kentucky Bluegrass
15% Park Kentucky Bluegrass
25% Kenblue Kentucky Bluegrass

Option #2

100% Park Kentucky Bluegrass
(But whats confusing is in the descrption they say "a mixture that is a cool season, creaping, fine textured perennial with good color and vigorous spreading ability")

When they mention creaping and perennial I keep thinking Ryegrass and Fescue can you have creaping and pernennial Bluegrass?

Premo Services
08-22-2007, 09:53 PM
can you have creaping and pernennial Bluegrass?

Yes you can, it is a newer type grass that spreads through underground rhyzomes. It might take a littke longer to get the lawn established good enough to get the rhyzome thing going on covering bare spots and.