PDA

View Full Version : Is Off-Road Diesel Detrimental to Mower Diesel engines

Sugarridge
08-22-2007, 02:32 PM
A dealer told me not to use Off-Road Diesel in my Kubota powered Exmark 66" XS because it would foul the engine and plugs due to the limited fuel filtration. Any thoughts out there!

Richard Martin
08-22-2007, 02:58 PM
This is quoted from http://cr4.globalspec.com/thread/4032/Diesel-Fuel. It is an engineering forum....

The difference between OFF-ROAD diesel and "ON-ROAD" diesel is that OFF-ROAD diesel has more sulfur in it. Sulfur acts as a lubricant for fuel pumps and injectors in diesel engines. The operational tolerance in an injector is about four millionths of an inch so the sulfur lubricates the moving parts inside of the injector. In 1993 the EPA changed the sulfur content of on road diesel to 500 PPM (parts per million) this was then called LSD (Low Sulfur Diesel). Now in 2007 they are requiring it to be changed again to 15 PPM this is called ULSD (Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel). Another difference is that ON-ROAD diesel is taxed and so to tell the difference between ON-ROAD and OFF-ROAD the OFF-ROAD diesel is dyed red.

lawnmaniac883
08-22-2007, 03:00 PM
Not going to hurt your engine, if you can get it, run it!

KTO Enterprises
08-22-2007, 03:38 PM
It wont harm anything. Your pocket book will even feel better. Off road diesel does not have the highway tax.

On another note, at one time I had a for you could fill out to get the road tax back on gasoline that went into off road equipment. now I just have the tax office do it for me.

Makes for a nice little rebate check

Mowingman
08-22-2007, 03:51 PM
There is NOW, no difference in on or off road siesel. It is all the same quality. Only difference is they put red dye in the offroad to show that it is beig sold with no tax.

fastcutter
08-22-2007, 04:06 PM
I have 19 Grasshopper mower and we have run the Off road diesel for the very start. Hour on the mowers start at 10 to 6000 right now.

Grits
08-22-2007, 04:41 PM
I have a friend that runs it in his personal truck. He has one of the new Ford diesels. He has done some mods to it and it hauls azz. The only difference in on and off-road is the color.

T Total Lawncare
08-22-2007, 05:55 PM
I have a friend that runs it in his personal truck. He has one of the new Ford diesels. He has done some mods to it and it hauls azz. The only difference in on and off-road is the color.

:nono: :nono: :nono:

ffemt1271
08-22-2007, 06:20 PM
here's a little trick, get a clear glass jar, put some tyed diesel in it and set it out in the sun, it will bleach the dye out of it. not sure what it would take to do it on a large scale bit i thought it was neat

captken
08-22-2007, 07:56 PM
When I worked tug and barge, we moved petroleum from refineries to storage facilities.

We would load diesel fuel down the same line/same shore tank, as 2-oil/off-road diesel. You would have to gauge your tanks to know when the 2-oil/off road diesel which is dyed, got to the barge when you made the product change over, as not to get non taxed dyed diesel into the taxed no dye diesel, you can put the dye in, but you can't take it out.

It is a powerful dye.

Load diesel first.
2-oil or off road diesel next.
Product coming from the same shore tank down the same pipeline.
They would inject the dye before loading into 2-oil/off road diesel tanks.

Some times the dye was added directly to the cargo tanks after it was loaded.

The dye is for tax purposes only.

It is perfectly legal to run off road diesel in your mower.

grassmasterswilson
08-22-2007, 09:44 PM
in equipment you're fine but not in your truck! what happens if the dept of ag stops to check your fuel? A $10000 fine and you park your truck on the spot until you can drain the tank. It happened to a farm buddy of mine. worst mistake he ever made.

MOturkey
08-22-2007, 09:48 PM
A dealer told me not to use Off-Road Diesel in my Kubota powered Exmark 66" XS because it would foul the engine and plugs

Can't believe no one caught this. :)

Grits
08-22-2007, 09:51 PM

Caught what? Fouling the plugs?

KTO Enterprises
08-22-2007, 10:01 PM

I guess it would if you are putting it in a gas engine

ffemt1271
08-23-2007, 06:27 PM
hmmmm. if your diesel has PLUGS there may be a bigger problem than dye??????? LMAO

doctordun
08-23-2007, 06:35 PM
Where would one find Off Road Diesel? I live just south of Dallas.

Americal Vet
08-23-2007, 06:47 PM
hmmmm. if your diesel has PLUGS there may be a bigger problem than dye??????? LMAO

Dang it! I was sitting here browsing, sipping on a glass of ice tea and ended up spraying the 'puter screen. This is just too funny.

BTW - The off road diesel won't hurt a thing. (especially spark plugs:laugh: :laugh: )

David Gretzmier
08-25-2007, 12:37 AM
A buddy of mine Stanley Rogers, is a part owner of Mitchell Oil, which delivers to probably 50-100 gas stations here locally. The only difference between off road and on road diesel is the dye. it is not taxed. it should run no different. You can run it in all off road use, and even in farm trucks that do not go on city or state roads. the dye also has some sort of ultraviolet element, state highway police have a black light they shine on the fuel tank filler to check if off road was used recently.

Mow Mony
08-26-2007, 01:51 AM
It wont harm anything. Your pocket book will even feel better. Off road diesel does not have the highway tax.

On another note, at one time I had a for you could fill out to get the road tax back on gasoline that went into off road equipment. now I just have the tax office do it for me.

anyone have this form? I remembered hearing about this but forgot about it when I couldn't find the right form...

Pietro
08-26-2007, 02:17 AM
If your dealer told you that the fuel will foul up your plugs, well I wouldnt let them work on that machine. Remember guys, Diesel engines do NOT have spark plugs. External combustion.

Richard Martin
08-26-2007, 05:45 AM
Diesel engines do NOT have spark plugs. External combustion.

Diesel engines are every bit as much a internal combustion engine as a gas one is. The difference is they use high compression to fire the fuel mixture off instead of a spark plug.

A steam engine is a good example of a external combustion engine.

heather lawn sp
08-26-2007, 06:20 AM
Diesel engines are every bit as much a internal combustion engine as a gas one is. The difference is they use high compression to fire the fuel mixture off instead of a spark plug.

Thank-you for saying that before I did

Langford2000
08-26-2007, 07:12 AM

And as far as plugs - maybe the dealer meant GLOW plugs. I don't know if the small diesels have them but my 7.3psd does.

causalitist
08-26-2007, 09:20 AM

holy crap... as you would expect i want that form lol

causalitist
08-26-2007, 09:23 AM
I guess it would if you are putting it in a gas engine

hahahah omg your right ... i had to stare at it for a sec.
you guys gotta warm up the glow plugs like a truck before starting those ztrs?

KTO Enterprises
08-26-2007, 11:42 AM
http://www.irs.gov/taxpros/providers/article/0,,id=167075,00.html

I believe this is the one you need.