PDA

View Full Version : sod web worms

michmann
08-22-2007, 04:22 PM
hey guys i am a single man L.L.C. small potatoes just cut lawns and trim shrubs dont do fertillization i have a company that does my home and they just told me i have sod web worms and to treat it is a 80 bucks, is this something i can do myself with store bought supplies have no license so i need a place that would sell the chemicals to a regular joe for his own us

thanks michman:hammerhead:

Runner
08-22-2007, 11:42 PM
Yes, it can be done. For 80 bucks though, it may not be worth it to do yourself. How big is your lawn?

michmann
08-23-2007, 10:12 AM
:dizzy: its big in my eyes pie shaped lot front is small but open up to the back fence
one side is 213.71 feet from front lawn to back fence but 2 1/2 car garage is also on this fence line so not all grass maybe 1/2 is grass the other side fence is 158.67 this is all grass by 167.12 at the farthest rear of my yard
if this makes sense odd shaped yard maybe you can tell me what i can treat it with my neighbor said just treat it with scotts summerguard granules not sure if that would do it or not any help would be great
thanks michigan man

michmann
08-23-2007, 10:15 AM
the width of the back yard from side fence line to side fence is 167.12 maybe that makes it clearer:dizzy:

Runner
08-23-2007, 10:48 AM
That would work, but there are better products available. The active ingredient in that is bifenthrin. It is the same thing we use in Talstar, just a smaller concentrate. MUCH smaller. Scotts is merely a marketing name and = overpriced. If you want to use this ingredient, look into the Ortho Max (Bug B Gone). It comes in a 10, 20, and 25# bags, and will be MUCH more cost effective for you. With the measurements you gave, there is no way of telling your sq. footage (insufficient data). I would need your footage across the front, and because it's pie shaped, your rear footage across, too. Take away about 2M for your house, and whatever your barn is. This stuff goes down at 2# per M. It will probably run you around 30 bucks.

golfguy
08-23-2007, 11:09 AM
How does your lawn look with the recent rains?

Perhaps, it does not even require treating?

michmann
08-23-2007, 11:22 AM
but have not seen moths in evening also have 2 female dogs so mabye the spots are being helped by the urine the are some sparse areas browning aerated it it fall never had this web worms before to my knowledge ?

thanks runner for info on bugbgone not sure what 2#m is sorry im not a fertilizer guy so i have a spreader maybe that what you set the speader at ?and is there a differant product maybe i could use you mentioned telestar is that something a regular joe could get and use or not for the unlicesned and untrained person could do thanks

Runner
08-23-2007, 04:42 PM
Sorry. The M mean 1000, as in square ft. So, anytime you see like 20M, it means 20,000 sq. ft.. We don't use K for thousand, because it too easily gets mixed up with K - which is potassium (on the table of elements). as far as the Talstar, it would probably be cost prohibitive for you to get the Talstar EZ just to do your yard. It could cost you about the same to have it done.
Now,...you have mentioned dog urine spots, which is something completely different. If you are not sure of the diagnosis, then I sure wouldn't go dumping insecticides all over this lawn. If you could give us some pictures, we could tell you if it is dog urine damage or not. I couldn't tell you if it is sod webworms or not for sure, as that takes closer examination.

michmann
08-24-2007, 04:00 PM
its 8000 square feet now my fertilizer company says 80 dollars is the cheapest i will find in this state michigan REALLY HAD ME LAUGHING since another major company chem---- said the would do for 54 but i think i might just do it myself with your guys advice. also dont know how to put pictures on computer yet but working on it.:weightlifter:

Runner
08-24-2007, 08:59 PM
I believe they WOULD do it for 54. A salesman (or should I say a sales kid) will ALWAYS try to sell stuff for free. Then they will hound you for the next year and a half telling you how bad you need aerations, grub control, shrub care, weed control, OTHER insect control, etc., etc., etc.. Also, for that 54, you will get what you pay for. the driver will say. "Screw this!" and cut all the corners. It happens all the time. I think I read somewhere - where there was once an unhappy customer from this company. It may have just been a fluke, though.