PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of this application?

JoeyD
08-22-2007, 04:27 PM
What do you guys think of this light in this type of application??

klkanders
08-22-2007, 05:24 PM
Looks nice maybe a few less? Hard to tell without seeing it in person. I am doing some R & R on a job that has these fixtures mounted on posts inside a pergola. Nice looking and durable.

Pro-Scapes
08-22-2007, 05:55 PM
I would be concearned about people burning thier legs on the lights. Specially after a few beverages at that bar. We will be building an outdoor kitchen/entertainment area/adult beverage depot this winter at our house and I am planning to use fiber optic or led ropes concealed under a lip.

I would consider a dimmer for the application in the picture if one is not already installed

JoeyD
08-22-2007, 06:09 PM
The heat was a concern but due to the spacing inbetweeen the lamp and the brass cover as well as the large openings ont he top and bottom they remain somewhat cool. Warm to the touch but you could rest your leg on it without it burning you or even being an uncomfterble warmth

ChampionLS
08-22-2007, 07:37 PM
Hey Billy,
Heres a good opportunity to install our 4 watt accent light under the counter. They don't get hot enough to burn someone, install completely flush or can be surface mounted, and are available in 10 colors.

We have our new deck brochure available in print form too.

-Anthony

Lite4
08-22-2007, 07:57 PM
Hey Billy, I like the idea of the rope lights in a dado. Ever since I saw that staircase Firefly in Florida did I have wanting to try it. Let is know how it comes out.

Chris J
08-22-2007, 08:20 PM
Tim, Firefly is in Atlanta, Ga.

David Gretzmier
08-22-2007, 11:42 PM
looks a little bright to me, and the heat is a concern to me as well. as much light is coming out of there, I'd say there is heat to go with it. Even if there was 2 inches between the metal and bulb, with two bulbs in it, that is still gonna heat up. I like the effect, but I'd want to scale the wattage back a little.

NightScenes
08-23-2007, 07:31 AM
That's a nice effect though it does look a little "hot" in brightness and warmth to the touch.

JoeyD
08-23-2007, 10:46 AM
We are running 2-20watt Xelogen lamps in each one, you can order them w/ 10w to soften up. I just thought the application was pretty cool.

Guzman Properties
08-23-2007, 11:17 AM
I like the application and the effect they give off. From the picture I would say go to a lesser wattage bulb. Maybe fewer would have been better, but I like the way it splits between the chairs.

NICE JOB!!!

JoeyD
08-23-2007, 11:42 AM
Placement is crucial with this type of application. You have to be exact and percise with everyhole you drill into the tile, stone, wood, or slate. But the effect is very nice. I have some other application shots of this light if you guys get interested.

I think another reason we had gone to more lights than less is we were trying to illuminate that entire patio area using the ambiant/reflected light from those fixtures. Part of the reason we left the frosted lenses off the top of them.

NightScenes
08-23-2007, 12:05 PM
Here's one with the same type of effect. I like the up/down/sconce effect because it works to illuminate the upper structures as well as the lower walking areas.

klkanders
08-23-2007, 12:21 PM
Very Nice as usual Paul!

JoeyD
08-23-2007, 12:24 PM
Very Nice Paul!!!

JoeyD
08-23-2007, 12:32 PM
I know most will think this is overkill but the homeowner who is very eccentric absolutly loved it for his driveway.

klkanders
08-23-2007, 12:35 PM
I still have to get pics taken of one of my first jobs where i used all Unique fixtures( Probe, Starburst, Stellar ) on an all dark brick house. Soon I hope!

JoeyD
08-23-2007, 12:36 PM
I would love to see them KLK!!

NightScenes
08-23-2007, 02:35 PM
You're right Joey, IMO that is overkill!! You, on the other hand, got to sell more fixtures.

JoeyD
08-23-2007, 03:37 PM
Thanks Paul, you aer right i do need to sell more fixtures!!! But seriously we always teach that every light installed needs to have a usefull purpose. I am not in the buisness of selling fixtures, I am in the buisness of creating "Lighting Portraits"!

NiteTymeIlluminations
08-23-2007, 04:10 PM
All very good photos...I just got Unique a few months ago...been competeing with them since their inception...and I really like a few products...their marketing is second to none...the photos and brochures just make everything look so good...the picture above is awesome...def over kill but so sweet...

JoeyD
08-23-2007, 04:20 PM
All very good photos...I just got Unique a few months ago...been competeing with them since their inception...and I really like a few products...their marketing is second to none...the photos and brochures just make everything look so good...the picture above is awesome...def over kill but so sweet...

Thanks for the compliments. Again I apologize for the post yesterday, I did not know who you were. Mike M. has since filled me in. Let me know if you ever need anything!!

Joey D

NiteTymeIlluminations
08-23-2007, 05:12 PM
Mike M...wow he'd probably love to read that last post...he'll think he died and went to heaven...but I can't deny the coolness of your catalogs and pictures and some of your products...and you are talking with a long life kichler fanatic...I have been working with Kichler before they had landscape lighting, way before they had landscape lighting...no worries about yesterday's post...by gones

JoeyD
08-23-2007, 06:11 PM
Heres a few more

ccfree
08-23-2007, 08:13 PM
I really do like that application Joey. Would probably look a little softer with 5w lamps. You guys at Unique have come a long ways in design applications. You are on the right track.

JoeyD
08-23-2007, 08:44 PM
Thank you Craig!!

David Gretzmier
08-23-2007, 09:57 PM
ditto- joeyd- like the effect, less wattage. Paul- nice on the pergola.

Chris J
08-23-2007, 10:09 PM
Shame on you Joey! You have taken pictures of applications where you have burned out lamps. On the back wall in the first picture, the whole fixture is out, and on the third picture the top lamp in the third fixture. Oh boy! what are we going to do with you.
Great pictures though. I'm really feeling the look and quality these days. Now if I could just convince some distributor (are you listening Doug) to give me some good buys on this gold plated merchandise.

JoeyD
08-23-2007, 11:08 PM
Shame on you Joey! You have taken pictures of applications where you have burned out lamps. On the back wall in the first picture, the whole fixture is out, and on the third picture the top lamp in the third fixture. Oh boy! what are we going to do with you.
Great pictures though. I'm really feeling the look and quality these days. Now if I could just convince some distributor (are you listening Doug) to give me some good buys on this gold plated merchandise.

You had to point it out didnt you!!:nono:

Yeah I jumped the gun when shooting the pics, I was out of spare lamps. This is a Unique employees house that is now finally built and we have really dialed in for the most part. Once I get more shots of it I will pass it along. We did some really trick stuff here with allot of our new lights.

NightScenes
08-24-2007, 07:39 AM
A Unique employees house? Damn, you guys need some help????

NiteTymeIlluminations
08-24-2007, 07:42 AM
That's hillarious...I was think the same thing...lol

JoeyD
08-24-2007, 09:25 AM
Actually thats our factory test home..........Just Kidding, but he is an employee who has been with Unique a very long time! Gives us little people something to shoot for!

Indiana Outdoor Lighting
08-24-2007, 03:08 PM
Looks great Joey.

JackTorsed
08-24-2007, 08:26 PM
Actually thats our factory test home..........Just Kidding, but he is an employee who has been with Unique a very long time! Gives us little people something to shoot for!

Look's like Nate's house. It's beautiful. Alotta lights.

NightLightingFX
08-24-2007, 08:42 PM
Yah, Isn't that Nate in the Gazibo(sp?) next to the fireplace?
~Ned
www.nightlightingfx.com

JackTorsed
08-24-2007, 08:45 PM
Yah, Isn't that Nate in the Gazibo(sp?) next to the fireplace?
~Ned
www.nightlightingfx.com

yes i saw him too but didn't want to spill the beans as i don't think he was the subject of the photo. Great photos eh?

JackTorsed
08-24-2007, 09:07 PM
Here's one with the same type of effect. I like the up/down/sconce effect because it works to illuminate the upper structures as well as the lower walking areas.

Great job paul!! Are those the same Unique brand fixtures shown in Joey's photo's?

NightScenes
08-24-2007, 10:45 PM
Thank you Jack, those are Kichler fixtures. They are much smaller and fit well on a 4x4 post. I think the Unique fixtures are probably better on a wall because of the light spread.

JackTorsed
08-24-2007, 10:48 PM
Thank you Jack, those are Kichler fixtures. They are much smaller and fit well on a 4x4 post. I think the Unique fixtures are probably better on a wall because of the light spread.

Excellent, you apparently are one of the top people in the country for this application. Job well done!

Chris J
08-24-2007, 10:50 PM
Paul,
Have you used the cap that comes as an accessory to the Kichler up and down? I used these on a project about 3 months ago, and I had a terrible time getting them to fit into the hole.

NightScenes
08-24-2007, 10:53 PM
Yes Chris, these fixtures have the lens installed on the top. I haven't had any problems with fit though. Maybe I got lucky.

Thanks again Jack.

Chris J
08-24-2007, 10:55 PM
Maybe I just got unlucky and received a bad batch.

Eden Lights
08-24-2007, 11:03 PM
I know most will think this is overkill but the homeowner who is very eccentric absolutly loved it for his driveway.

Eccentric, must be Nate's house! I couldn't resist, excellent posts Joey.

JoeyD
08-25-2007, 03:19 PM
I am not at liberty to say who's house it is!!

Nate being in the picture doesnt actually mean it's his.......There are 2 owners at Unique and some others who have been around Unique a long time holding big positions!!

Wait till you guys see the finished photos! Could be one of the coolest looking lighting jobs around becuase the landscape was designed for the lights. Kind of cool.

Thanks for all of your positive remarks! I dove into this forum heads first and have been greated with open arms, I truly am thrilled to share ideas with all of you!! It's nice to discuss subects with so many who share the same passion!!

Chris J
08-25-2007, 04:46 PM
Yeah, you jumped right into a can of worms with this forum didn't you Joey? :laugh:

JoeyD
08-25-2007, 06:09 PM
Yeah, you jumped right into a can of worms with this forum didn't you Joey? :laugh:

Did I ever!! Someone told me I owuld have fun in here and they were right. I am addicted right now. I need to get rid of my blackberry so I cant see everytims someone posts something. Ic ant help but read. I am in the honeymoon phase with this site still!!

Too much good stuff!!! We need this kind of action in the AOLP forum!!

NightScenes
08-25-2007, 06:13 PM
No kidding!! Wouldn't it be great if we had such strong interaction on ideas?

JoeyD
08-25-2007, 06:17 PM
No kidding!! Wouldn't it be great if we had such strong interaction on ideas?

We should talk about this at the conference Paul. This kind of interaction to me is worth so much. I have learned so much this last week.

NightScenes
08-25-2007, 06:20 PM
I knew you would get a kick out of it!!

JoeyD
08-25-2007, 06:25 PM
I almost feel bad about participating to much, I do not want other manufacturers to feel like I am stepping on their toes by now being here. I am trying to be as neutral as possible and most people who know me know I will be the first to admit that I believe there is a place in this industry for evryone! Except those Chinese knockoffs....errrrrrrrrrrrr

Pro-Scapes
08-25-2007, 06:39 PM

Thats probably nates house! thats why he is in the gazebo