PDA

View Full Version : Help! What to do with my crappy looking grass?

THEoneandonlyLawnRanger
08-22-2007, 09:08 PM
Hey guys, I need some help, i have no idea what kind of grass this is in my yard all i know is i hate it. It is very tough, and looks awful, I live in East TN. and would like some nice plush green grass, i want to reseed my lawn but dont really know where to start. I've heard to mow as close as you can toward the fall, dethatch then rake the thatch out of the yard, then aereate and sow? What time of year should i be looking to reseed in TN? What type of grass do you think this is in my yard now i've enclosed pics, I've only owned my home for about 6 months now and i do know that it will turn brown in winter, kind of like golf course grass, but without the look of a golf course!
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

jeffinsgf
08-22-2007, 09:36 PM
The only thing between that yard and the lush yard you are looking for is some water.

tbettis
08-22-2007, 10:11 PM
The only thing between that yard and the lush yard you are looking for is some water.
exactly...
looks like zoyia..imao

tbettis
08-22-2007, 10:13 PM
get so ironite and 33-0-0 and wait until late next week to put it down. suppose to be getting a cold front coming through labor day weekend with plenty on rain. but wait and watch the forcast first.

THEoneandonlyLawnRanger
08-22-2007, 11:10 PM
Well it has been Very dry here for along time now, The grass does green up but its not the grass im wanting, i would like some larger blade grass, yard is 97% in full sun so what do you think i should do about overseeding ?

ATVracer
08-23-2007, 11:24 AM
The grass blades look torn on the ends. How long has it been since you sharpened your mower blades?

I also think the yard looks good with the exception of water and some fertiziler.

THEoneandonlyLawnRanger
08-23-2007, 01:40 PM
[QUOTE=ATVracer;1939865]The grass blades look torn on the ends. How long has it been since you sharpened your mower blades?

QUOTE]

Good point it has been a month or so havent been mowing many yards because its been so dry, gonna try my best to sharpen them this weekend.

LTL
08-23-2007, 11:14 PM
33-0-0 may be good to green it up, but you are going to want to put some potassium down. This ensures good root growth to get through the winter. 10-20-20 or something similar will green it up and give your roots some food before winter

THEoneandonlyLawnRanger
08-24-2007, 08:43 AM
Well i did some researching and it does seem that this grass is Zoysia grass, or at least it has the same characteristics of it. With that in mind what is the best time to dethatch Zoysia? is it good to aerate zoysia ?

LTL
08-24-2007, 08:44 PM
Ideal time is spring.