PDA

View Full Version : Home & Patio Show Ideas

Chris J
08-22-2007, 08:16 PM
Would any of you guys happen to have some pictures of really good home and patio show displays? I have another H&P show coming up, and I want to do something really special this time instead of the same old thing like you see in my example from a show in the past. I'm thinking of building sort of a half gazeebo that only comes out away from the back wall maybe 4-5 feet. In doing so, I can mount a variety of different types of fixtures to it like deck sconces, step lights, uplights around the outside posts. I could also bring in some nice plant material to uplight with different types of fixtures.
I'm really just looking for some ideas here. If any of you do these shows, and have some ideas and/or pictures I would really appreciate the advice.
Thanks,

David Gretzmier
08-22-2007, 11:36 PM
first I'd get rid of the goofy frog lights...just kidding. I've tried to do home shows for landscape and Christmas lights, with huge backdrops and photo's, and gotten...nothing.

There is so much light in these convention center areas, it is hard to create darkness to show effects. I think I might try it again with even larger photo's, maybe 24x36, to really catch peoples eye as they go by. I seem to get more jobs from a 3 buck sign than a 1000 buck display at a show. go figure.

I've seen a guy drop 10 grand on a christmas display for a show using a mockup of a real house and show off his lights,wreaths, garland...nothing. I know I sound negative, but I'm trying to be honest about the home show enviroment. I'm not sure there are many buyers there.

Eden Lights
08-23-2007, 12:06 AM
Large flat panel running slide show with nice music. Cheese and crackers or fresh cookies. No fixtures at all, the entire both should focus on your designs. The booth should never be unattended. If possible provide some comfortable seating. Just some ideas.

JoeyD
08-23-2007, 11:34 AM
Lots of Photos w/ application shots of fixtures you use in your designs. Not highlighting the fixture so much but giving the potential customer an idea of the effects you create with each light. I agree with eden, you dont need a bunch of fixtures in your booth, all your competion will have fixtures in their booths, I like having tons of large eye grabbing photos of big houses, smaller houses, thick landscapes and basic landscapes. Focus on your design skills and what you have to offer interms of highlighting their home, not just their landscape. I do however recommed that you have a lose fixture or two to just show the homeowner the quality you install. When I was contracting and doing home shows I always had a Unique Pulsar, and Big Bang. They were two fixtures that when the homeowner held them they immediatly felt quality, the weight showed durability and the color backed up my philosophy of the fixture not being visable and blending with the landscape.

Obviously you never want to leave the booth unattended, never eat in your booth, and dont just sit down and wait for someone to talk to you. Get out in the isles and bring people in, as they walk by looking another direction appearing to be not interested stop them and ask "do you hve any landscape lighting" "Are you interested in landscape lighting". You will find allot of people will not stop to talk but when you initiate the conversation you will be surprised how many responses you get.

Lastly a succesfull homeshow always comes down to follow up. This works on my side today but worked very well then. I always would try to have a drawing of some sort to gather more information. After the show I would send a simple post card that I would make on Costco.com that thanked them for stopping by my booth. It would have a really nice eye grabbing photo on it. You AOLP guys should have recieved one of these after conference this year, I still do this as it helps to let people know that you are for real.

Hope this helps give you guys some ideas to run with. A home show will always be what you make it!

Joey D.

Chris J
08-23-2007, 03:28 PM
[QUOTE=David Gretzmier;1939550]first I'd get rid of the goofy frog lights...just kidding. I've tried to do home shows for landscape and Christmas lights, with huge backdrops and photo's, and gotten...nothing.

David,
Your post made me realize just how old this picture is. I haven't used that silly logo for years! As far as the frog light, I always keep that thing around for conversation sake. Even when the parents are involved with other exhibitors, their kids will make sure that they come to my booth to see the frog! Ironically enough though, I think I've only installed two of these frog fixtures in my entire career.

NightScenes
08-23-2007, 05:26 PM
Hey Chris, I have actually installed a bunch of those frog fixtures. I use them as conversation pieces and ladies love em. I try to install one unusual fixture on each project to create interest and spark a question from guests. The question usually goes like this, "where did you get the light"? Oh, NightScapes did our lighting and thought this would be a neat fixture.... Just another way to get people to talk about you.

David Gretzmier
08-23-2007, 10:19 PM
eden- what a great idea- "honey, I need to buy this 50 inch plasma for the home show...really ! "

other home show ideas that get people to come up to your booth and at least say hi-

give out dove milk chocolate squares- everybody else gives out cheap candy.

hold a drawing for a free lighting design consultation and $ 300 gift certificate applied to a fully installed lighting job. they must put in thier name, address, phone number etc. everybody wins. probably a low close ratio, maybe 15-25%but if you are looking for work...

I always put the lowes bullet/spotlight and label it, and OUR bullet and label it, and put out a scale. I bring a spare of each, I've had folks drop them and break the glass. the floor is sometimes concrete.

good luck !

Chris J
08-23-2007, 10:31 PM
Actually, the H&P shows do real well for us. I have found that it is the thing that ties everything else together for the procrastinator. They see our ads in magazines, they may get a card, they may even see our yard sign in their neighborhood. But when they see us at the show, then they get the chance to put a face with the name and actually talk to us about what they have seen. We usually get 40-60 good leads from these shows, but I really couldn't put an accurate number on how many turn into jobs from the show alone. I know that I have done at least a dozen jobs for people that have told me something like "I saw you at the home show a couple of years ago." I have also done an enormous amount of work for people that met me at the show that told me that they have received several of my advertisments. All in all, the shows go hand in hand with other forms of advertisment.
My only question is how to make my booth stand out a little better. Thanks for all the input so far, keep it coming!