PDA

View Full Version : My 1989 ford 350 4x4 5speed 7.3 non turbo diesel

mower&more1986
08-22-2007, 10:36 PM
this is my new truck 1989 ford 350 4x4 5speed 7.3 non turbo diesel:usflag:

tnmtn
08-22-2007, 11:00 PM
congrats on the new truck, i have a 7.3 idi also. 250,000 miles and still running strong. it isn't a powerhouse but the truck does grow on you. you will probably want to check out www.thedieselstop.com for info relating to the truck. their are some things to watch out for with that engine.
good luck,

mower&more1986
08-22-2007, 11:42 PM
thats my 5x8 trailer in the backgound its really small compared to the truck:laugh:
but i just cant bring myself to part with it

Gravel Rat
08-22-2007, 11:47 PM
The first thing to do is flush the coolant system and replace the coolant with new and add the Ford coolant additive to prevent cavitation. The second thing would be change the oil and fuel filters.

Things to know about a IDI Ford.

When working on the engine try not to disturb the fuel return system it is the rubber hoses that go bettween the injectors. Start wigging the return caps or bumping the lines is gauranteed for a leak. The IDIs depend heavily on the glow plugs to start so I would have all 8 glow plugs changed out and install a GP controller if the truck is having starting problems. When you buy glow plugs buy the factory Ford beru plugs DONOT buy champion GPs they are junk.

With the IDIs a mechanical injected engine you need to run a fuel lubricant so buy a couple jugs of Howes Diesel treat and add it to every fill up. If you don't you will be replacing a injection pump and injectors with the new low sulphur fuel which has little lubricating properties.

The IDIs also need good batteries if the ones in the truck are old and make the truck hard starting replace them.

The IDIs are good and reliable not big power but they are cheap and easy to fix. I had one for almost 4 years I never really had troubles with mine besides a starter and glow plugs.

A good upgrade is have the squirters and IP rebuilt it helps get the 185hp back and makes the truck start easier.

Good Luck

You should have the truck for quite a few years just keep the body in good shape.

mower&more1986
08-23-2007, 12:15 AM
from what i was told by the last owner the glow plugs where replaced last year
and both batteries are brand new. so far no troubles. but just in case I'm going to get a service manual.
also i got to go to the DMV tomorrow which is always is fun because there always in a great mood :laugh:

Gravel Rat
08-23-2007, 12:21 AM
I would pull one of the glow plugs out and see what brand they are if they are champion pull them and replace them. Its cheaper to get rid of the champion glow plugs now. What happens is the champion glow plugs are known to loose their tips. They break off when you take the GP out because they bend and swell from the heat. When they break off means you need to remove the heads on the engine to get the chunks out. Thats big money and time.

Pulling a glow plug out is easy get one that is easy to get at use a deep 5/16s 6 point 1/4 inch drive socket with a long extension to take the GP out its like changing a spark plug.

TXNSLighting
08-23-2007, 02:03 PM
Well hey congrats!! got to love the classic wheels and running boards!! ha!

KrayzKajun
08-23-2007, 02:36 PM
Congrats!! I will be picking up my 1995 F350 XLT 4x4 this week. mine has the turbo diesel

mower&more1986
08-23-2007, 05:04 PM
it started perfect this morning this truck runs like champ
but the exhaust could use work kinda loud but i really dont care:drinkup:

Fatboy
08-23-2007, 06:34 PM
Go down to the auto parts store and buy the best set of belts that they have and install them.
These engines have a habit of throwing the alternator belts and taking the P/S and vacuum pump belts with them. You can drive it without the P/S and alternator belts but the vacuum pump not turning will seriously effect the brakes.

Been there done that, got the T-shirt.

Mine was a 1990 F-350 CC Dually 5spd.

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e380/Capt-Ron/90F350.jpg

Fatboy

mower&more1986
08-23-2007, 08:36 PM
:laugh: that kinda funny because there a new nappa belt in the cab
and autolight glow plugs:drinkup:

Gravel Rat
08-23-2007, 09:48 PM
I wouldn't be using autolite glow plugs either they are troublesome too the only plugs you want to use is Bosch or Beru (Motorcraft).

mower&more1986
08-23-2007, 10:15 PM
in that case I'm ordering the Bosch glow plugs:walking:
i use to have a 1994 chevy k2500 4x4 6.5 turbo diesel and had problems when it was not plugged in during the winter which was my fault.
boy was that thing was loud in the mourning when it warmed it would smooth out the first week i had my chevy diesel i had to replace the fuel injector pump. it was a alright truck but leaked oil. to surprise my ford diesel does not leak oil. but i will be changing the the oil this week. seemed with the chevy it started leaking oil right after i change it.;) oh well for the chevy.
so far the ford has been good to me so i will be good to it too.
it funny i like the older 90's and late 80's truck more than the new ones
but that just my opinion

KrayzKajun
08-23-2007, 11:24 PM
Great truck you got!
here is mine
1995 F350 XLT 4x4 7.3L turbo diesel
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c164/KrayzKajun/DSC00833.jpg

TXNSLighting
08-24-2007, 10:32 AM
Great truck you got!
here is mine
1995 F350 XLT 4x4 7.3L turbo diesel
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c164/KrayzKajun/DSC00833.jpg

Glad to see your gettin that powerstroke!!

leaflandscape
08-24-2007, 03:56 PM
Here's the last 7.3 we had. It was the best truck we ever had for work, and it could pull anything. It finally crapped out at 689000 kilometers, not a bad run for the old girl.:drinkup:

Gravel Rat
08-24-2007, 05:13 PM
Well atleast its being hauled home on a Ford :laugh:

I would have kept my old 89 F-450 IDI but the truck was worn out and I didn't want to dump more money into it. The truck had some power it wouldn't go any faster than 80km/h thou it had 5:13 axle gears so it screamed at 80km/h (50mph). The truck is still going I see it time to time its been really banged up looks worse than I had it.

It was my first diesel Ford and I haven't been back to a gasser truck since. I have a 6.0 now which is okay no problems yet. Not buying a 6.4 those engines are not even possible to work on. Lift the hood on a 08 Ford with the 6.4 you look say holy crap close the hood. There is no possible way you can do anything simple without taking the cab off. There is more radiators and coolers on the front of a 08 Ford its unbeleivable. Get in a front end accident the truck is done.

If I had to go to a OBS Ford again it would be a 7.3 PSD and keep fixing it till you can fix it anymore. The new diesel engines are not worth it the 6.0 is probably the last engine you can actually work on yourself.

mower&more1986
08-24-2007, 06:09 PM
what would be truck that you could work on and have engough room to mover around comfortble. my trucks got some pretty good to room work around in. i was thinking maybe a 70s f250 or f350

TXNSLighting
08-24-2007, 07:34 PM
Here's the last 7.3 we had. It was the best truck we ever had for work, and it could pull anything. It finally crapped out at 689000 kilometers, not a bad run for the old girl.:drinkup:

you sure thats a 7.3? that looks like an 80-86 body style which only had the 6.9l in it...

mower&more1986
08-25-2007, 12:21 AM
ive been shift about 1500 rpms and 2000rpms is this right:hammerhead:

TXNSLighting
08-25-2007, 12:30 PM
its been a while since ive been in an old 5 speed diesel, but i would guess around 2...it should idle at 800...i think...man i just drew a big blank on this!! ha!

WhitakerServices
08-25-2007, 12:44 PM
keep your shifts on or around 2 for the best mpg.
I just recently purcased a 2000 mdl 7.3 and it is awesome plenty of power plenty of brakes.

the site ford-trucks.com has some great info on all fords as well as thedieselstop.com mentioned in an earlier post. go to these sites and do some reading and you will find all the info you need on your Ford.
Welcome to the diesel club.

mower&more1986
08-25-2007, 03:11 PM
thank you. I found this alot easy to drive than a gas manual transmission.
hopefully someday i can get a newer ford diesel truck.
:rolleyes: someday:rolleyes:

mower&more1986
08-25-2007, 06:24 PM
just let you guys know i got my CDL 1-24-06, which i was 19 at time and lerned on 13 speed kenworth. I havent been in one since. when I hit 21
not to long after i found that i did not want to be truck driver because
i would like stay close to home. that kinda why i like doing lawn care allthogh
I'm starting a little late this year. *trucewhiteflag*

TXNSLighting
08-25-2007, 08:51 PM
Well hey good luck with all that!! i will be (if i can find the right deal) be getting an 07 F350 4x4 in december. hopefully i can find one i love! Im to picky maybe, but i want a black powerstroke crew cab long bed 4x4 lariat with 20's! lets hope its out there!

WhitakerServices
08-25-2007, 09:59 PM
It is out there if you have the $$$. I don't know about the 6.0 diesel but the 7.3l retains it's value well. My truck had a blue book value of 16 to 18,500 with 125k on the odo. that is not bad for a 7 year old truck.

TXNSLighting
08-25-2007, 10:22 PM
yeh i want the 6.0. the later years are alot better. I really dont want an 08 cuz i like diesel exhaust and all that fun stuff, but i love the new features! i saw one about two weeks ago that was a king ranch. 14k miles 37,900. i hope i can find that in 4-6 months. just not king ranch.

WhitakerServices
08-25-2007, 10:34 PM
I have heard that the leather in the king ranch gets a little stinky in the hot sun but i guess that is a matter of opinion( the opinion I just stated was that of a ford mechanic, lol) . I like the lariat package better anyway. You will love the diesel if you haven't had one before, I have always owned gassers but diesel torque is incredible. My v6 4x4 toyota feels so small and weak after driving the diesel dually. good luck finding a good truck.

DLCS
08-25-2007, 11:38 PM
Here is a picture of my '89 F250 with 7.3 ide. This truck nickle and dimed me to death.LOL

TXNSLighting
08-25-2007, 11:48 PM
I have heard that the leather in the king ranch gets a little stinky in the hot sun but i guess that is a matter of opinion( the opinion I just stated was that of a ford mechanic, lol) . I like the lariat package better anyway. You will love the diesel if you haven't had one before, I have always owned gassers but diesel torque is incredible. My v6 4x4 toyota feels so small and weak after driving the diesel dually. good luck finding a good truck.

i only drive diesels. ive only owned one gasser. just dont like anything about them. I love the king ranch leather, i just dont want it for a work truck. and i prsonaly love the smell of that leather! I currently have a cummins. (the one in the picture). love the engine, but hate the truck.

TXNSLighting
08-25-2007, 11:49 PM
Here is a picture of my '89 F250 with 7.3 ide. This truck nickle and dimed me to death.LOL

ha! thank god their easy to work on!!

G.M.Landscaping
08-26-2007, 12:00 AM
Here's one of my trucks. 91 F-250 4x4 with a very slow 302.

mower&more1986
08-26-2007, 02:58 AM
I'm thinking about taking some auto collision repair classes so I can fix the rust on my truck. would this be worth it. I’ve already gone though some diesel
classes and I can look at this truck and not feel like its too much too work on.
personally I like this truck way better then the brand new trucks.:usflag:

TXNSLighting
08-26-2007, 10:54 AM
those classic 7.3's are so easy to work on. youll love it. one day you should defiantely look into puttin a turbo on it. makes them run quite nice!

TXNSLighting
08-26-2007, 10:55 AM
Here's one of my trucks. 91 F-250 4x4 with a very slow 302.

thats a good lookin truck!! cant imagine a slow 302 tho...those have alota power potential.

leaflandscape
08-26-2007, 04:13 PM
you sure thats a 7.3? that looks like an 80-86 body style which only had the 6.9l in it...

I think you're right Texan, my mind must be going on me. :hammerhead:

mower&more1986
08-26-2007, 05:27 PM
cant register at thedieselstop.com they say my email address has been ban
the funny thing i don't remember ever registering with them.
and i never herd of them until this thread i made:confused:

DBL
08-26-2007, 07:17 PM
nice looking truck the older body styles definetly look tough we got a 90 350 4x4 12' stake dump and no major problems with it

tnmtn
08-26-2007, 11:28 PM
that is a great looking truck G.M. looks better than new

TXNSLighting
08-27-2007, 10:53 AM
I think you're right Texan, my mind must be going on me. :hammerhead:

ha to great!

SiteSolutions
08-27-2007, 11:30 AM
cant register at thedieselstop.com they say my email address has been ban
the funny thing i don't remember ever registering with them.
and i never herd of them until this thread i made:confused:

They may have your IP address as being on a blacklist. I've run into this before as my ISP uses a block of addresses that are also used by spammers. (Email from my server at home would get blocked by some other mail servers that subscribed to certain blacklists) You might be able to call someone or email someone and get it cleared up but it will probably take a little investigation on your part. Good luck.

TXNSLighting
08-27-2007, 12:39 PM
hey goto superdutydiesel.com all ford website, (obviously) they have lots of good information there.

stroker51
08-28-2007, 12:04 AM
hey texan, on that superduty site, have you followed luke cline's 97 F250 4x4crew cab project? last i saw runnin mid 12's in the quarter mile on number 2 diesel.

TXNSLighting
08-28-2007, 09:58 AM
whoa, know i havent heard anything about it. thats pretty nice, ill see if i can find it. i dont ever visit the 94-97 thread, ill go check it out.

stroker51
08-28-2007, 06:49 PM
I got to lookin some more, guess he's runnin a homemade nitrous kit, but his first 12 second run was with his chip in the Tow burn, he forgot to flip to race, lol. That is one fast old body style truck.

TXNSLighting
08-28-2007, 11:41 PM
yeh it is, its not as easy to make those run, so when someone does, its quite impressive...

stroker51
08-29-2007, 01:06 AM
From what i gather, to make one really run, you gotta get a bigger high press. oil pump, big fuel, good tuning, and big air, i.e. turbo/intake. By those standards my '96 only kinda runs, edge box, intake, exhaust, lol. I wish mine ran like that.

TXNSLighting
08-29-2007, 09:41 AM
o yeh, all it takes is money! just putting an intercooler on them and a new turbo helps them out tramendously. and thats really not that expensive.

mower&more1986
08-29-2007, 07:00 PM
just order my ez hitch to hopefully make backing my truck up to my trailer a little better:clapping:

mower&more1986
09-05-2007, 12:46 AM
just drove my truck out of town. no problems tho the 4.10 gears kinda limit how fast i want to go. i like to drive the speed limit anyways and like to save fuel. it was i'm guessing a 80 mile round trip. had the exhaust, brakes and oil changed. stock exhaust by the sorry don't like loud trucks, I use to but when I started horseback ridding I find loud trucks, cars, bikes,atvs "I could go on all day" to be quite annoying.
it use to have a 4in exhaust just shoved on and weld why someone would do
that i do not know.

the parking brake does not work:help:
has any of you guys ever have to fix the parking brake:confused:
the last owner put on a hydraulic brake lock which you push in the brake pedal so far, then push in a button and locks brakes
you push on brake pedal to release it. he told me it what they use on big 4x4 trucks. is this system safe:confused: :help:

Gravel Rat
09-05-2007, 01:00 AM
No Mico Locks (Line locks) are not safe or legal they fail too easy. Get a mechanical factory oem emergency brake working. You may need new E brake cables from the pedal all the way back.

I would rather have 4:10s than too tall of gearing my old F-450 IDI had 5:13s the truck was topped out at 80km/h 50mph but the truck pulled good.

The biggest exhaust to put on a IDI is 3 to 3 1/2 a single pipe with a decent muffler.

Fatboy
09-05-2007, 03:26 AM
those classic 7.3's are so easy to work on. youll love it. one day you should defiantely look into puttin a turbo on it. makes them run quite nice!

A turbo, nice to think about but not a good idea.

A good source for the turbo and needed parts is the local junk yard. But notice that the donor vehicle probably has a connecting rod hanging out the side of the block. The owner may have obtained this turbo off a junked truck just the way that it's being harvested in this case.

Without lowering the compression ratio, just adding a turbo will overboost the engine and the extra strain on the connecting rods will cause them to fail. Then sadly this truck will be in the junkyard with some guy removing the turbo and the cycle repeats.

Be satisfied with the power available and keep it alive.

FatBoy

mower&more1986
09-05-2007, 05:50 PM
the truck has plenty of power for what i need to pull. i went with it because of the good fuel mileage. I really don’t plan on moding it up this truck because of the cost and time to do it. the things on my list to fix is definitely the parking brake, need to replace the rear fuel tank, replace the windshield and maybe tires before winter. it has aggressive tread tires on it that are pretty worn.
normal truck tires will do it for me i never do any off road stuff. i do alot of in town driving and some hwy driving "out to a ranch"

man what was this guy thinking when he put on that weird parking brake:hammerhead:

I like my keep my stock like the way it came form the factory:)

mower&more1986
09-05-2007, 06:07 PM
Also I will be fixing the AC on this truck. Back in college I took AC repair and worked on a tractor not sure how much deferent a truck is.
the problem begin with the belt for the ac was took off for what reason I would guess a small hp boost so I’m going to get a belt for it and see where I’m at with it
any info would help:help:

Fatboy
09-05-2007, 07:42 PM
The belt was probably off the A/C for the reason that I posted earlier about these engines throwing belts.

Check to see if the system has been converted to R134a, someone had converted my '90 before I bought it and it worked really well.
A/C is A/C and if you've had some training in refrigeration then you're not going to have any problem.

This system is pretty straight forward and all the components are fairly easy to access. I changed the compressor clutch on mine in the parking lot of Auto Zone and used the loaner tools to get the job done in about an hour.

First thing that I'd do is check to see if there is any pressure in the system and then put a belt on it and see if the compressor will respond.

I've still got the books that I bought for working on mine somewhere around here. If you need any more info let me know and I'll see if I can look it up for ya.

Good Luck,
FatBoy

mower&more1986
09-09-2007, 07:33 PM
any one ever replace a rear tank what did cost or would cost
kinda out of my league.the truck can draw fuel form the rear tank but leaks. :help: