PDA

View Full Version : KBG Lawn Renovation - Next Step in Process? Pics

RLembke
08-23-2007, 11:10 AM
Hi guys -

I've found a lot of good advice over at Gardenweb.com and I've started my lawn renovation. Had a bad batch of summer patch this summer and instead of just fixing the areas that died I've RoundUped the whole lawn and I'm starting over with a blend of elite KBG seed.

Here is the lawn as she looks now -

http://lh3.google.com/The.Lembkes/RsugUgtBZgI/AAAAAAAABS4/53wgfCPigoo/s400/DSC_4342.JPG"

I've scalped down about half of the yard as low as the mower will go. This is what I'm left with -

http://lh6.google.com/The.Lembkes/RsugYQtBZhI/AAAAAAAABTA/enPqpAaXM1A/s400/DSC_4343.JPG

http://lh5.google.com/The.Lembkes/RsugbAtBZiI/AAAAAAAABTM/yxeUITZsK40/s400/DSC_4344.JPG

http://lh4.google.com/The.Lembkes/RsugdwtBZjI/AAAAAAAABTU/zPlQ-OgvBPI/s400/DSC_4345.JPG

This lawn was originally sodded 2 summers ago. This 'thatch' layer comes up pretty complete in sheets when pulled up. This sure looks to me like the original sod layer, it's almost peat moss like.

My original plan was -

1. Scalp it down (in progress)
2. Run slitseeder empty to get up thatch
3. Slit seed
4. Topdress with compost

Now I'm concerned about this layer of crap. It looks like super thatch or the original sod layer that the roots really never escaped from.

? #1 - Will a slitseeder be enough to get this stuff up? Do I need a dedicated flail-type dethatcher to get this up?

? #2 - I've seen people talk about using Harley rakes to prepare seedbeds. Given the clay soil underneath that the sod really didn't knit too well, should I consider something like that? Would a Harley rake take care of this layer of thatch as well? Two birds with one stone? Or would the dethatcher/slitseeder route be enough?

Thanks so much! What a wealth of info on this site!

Rob

Kiril
08-24-2007, 11:05 AM
Now I'm concerned about this layer of crap. It looks like super thatch or the original sod layer that the roots really never escaped from.

? #1 - Will a slitseeder be enough to get this stuff up? Do I need a dedicated flail-type dethatcher to get this up?

? #2 - I've seen people talk about using Harley rakes to prepare seedbeds. Given the clay soil underneath that the sod really didn't knit too well, should I consider something like that? Would a Harley rake take care of this layer of thatch as well? Two birds with one stone? Or would the dethatcher/slitseeder route be enough?

Thanks so much! What a wealth of info on this site!

Rob

Doesn't matter what you use as long as you remove all that crap and expose bare soil. A vertical mower may be enough if you make enough passes at different angles, however a power rake would be faster.

RLembke
08-24-2007, 04:47 PM
I was under the impression that a flail-type dethatcher would be a better 'destructive' device as opposed to the spring tines of a power rake. Not true? Seems I've seen mentioned many places that dethatchers from least effective/destructive to most are spring tines, verticutter, flail-blade type. My inquiry is whether the verticutter will be enough to do it since I'll already have one for the seeding.

RLembke
08-26-2007, 09:57 PM
Anyone advice please?

What's the best way to deal with this layer of thatch? I've been researching this forum like crazy and find some people talking about using a sod cutter to remove old sod and I hear others saying to just use a power seeder (I can rent a Turf Revitalizer), tear it up a little and then power seed it, leaving all the thatch on the ground. This would save time hauling and bagging waste.

Thoughts? Thank you!

carcrz
08-26-2007, 10:02 PM
verticut & bag everything. It may take a couple times verticutting, but it will get all of it. Follow that by aerating 2 times in a diamond pattern. Then Slit seed. Water frequently.

What area are you in? Looks like Lakewood?

RLembke
08-26-2007, 10:16 PM
Thanks carcrz.....bagging required huh? Shoot. I'm not afraid of doing the work, I was just hoping maybe it wasn't necessary. Work smart, right?

South Overland Park, around 143rd & Metcalf.

Any good suggestions on a 'smart' way to get that up? I've mowed half the lawn down with the walk behind mower and I'm stopping every pass to unload. Would a vacuum or something else be a good idea to go along with the Turf Revitalizer?

Thanks again,

Rob

carcrz
08-26-2007, 10:26 PM
You can probably mow over it a few times w/o bagging to mulch it up first, then bag it. That's what I do if it's very tall. But a walkbehind vac probably isn't a bad idea either.

LawnSolutionsCP
08-27-2007, 02:55 PM
Anyone advice please?

What's the best way to deal with this layer of thatch? I've been researching this forum like crazy and find some people talking about using a sod cutter to remove old sod and I hear others saying to just use a power seeder (I can rent a Turf Revitalizer), tear it up a little and then power seed it, leaving all the thatch on the ground. This would save time hauling and bagging waste.

Thoughts? Thank you!

Please rent one of our Turf Revitalizer and then post pictures of both the final results, your experience, and then how well did it deal with the thatch layer.

If you have any specific question about how to do the job, send me a PM.

David

RLembke
08-27-2007, 03:26 PM
David -

Sent you an email. For some reason I am unable to PM people....??

JTF40
09-01-2007, 03:58 PM
David -

Sent you an email. For some reason I am unable to PM people....??

You haven't been a member long enough - just keep postin', you'll get there.

Welcome to Lawnsite !!!!!!!!!!!!!! :usflag:

Fenway
09-02-2007, 01:26 AM
Nice house. I bet your lawn will look fantastic when this is done. I'll be following this thread with interest as I just started a similar project. Good Luck!

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=199126