PDA

View Full Version : Kill Switch

tthomass
08-23-2007, 08:35 PM
Since Bobcat so wonderfully keys all of their machines the same.......anyone ever put a kill switch on their machine?

I will be getting a lot soon enough and plant to wire 1 or 8 into it. Obviously if they want to steal it they can flatbed it but at least I can stop someone with another key.

Gravel Rat
08-23-2007, 09:50 PM
You put a nightswitch in a place that can be locked up with a lock or a place that nobody would look for. You cut the battery juice off the machine isn't going to start.

ksss
08-23-2007, 09:53 PM
It is a good idea. A lot of times it is enough to deter someone. My last four skid steers I have ordered with the kill switch installed. It is a factory option and a great idea.

P.Services
08-23-2007, 10:05 PM
what about a low jack type of gps?

Hiwire
08-23-2007, 10:28 PM
We have 3 bobcats. The last 2 were purchased with keyless ignition. I know that Bobcat makes a retrofit kit for the same use. It cant be started without knowing the 4 digit combination. Once you have used that type of system for a short time you wont miss digging in your pocket for the key. It becomes second nature. It also keeps over anxious employees from jumping on the machines when they dont need to be.
Ray

SiteSolutions
08-24-2007, 12:19 AM
All three of my machines have had the keyless "Deluxe Instrumentation"; nobody runs my machine unless I start it for them. It can tell you a lot about what the machine is doing, too.

On the other side of the coin: Part of my motivation to get machine #3 was that the "deluxe Instrumentation" in machine #2 stopped lighting up when I pushed the button... left me dead in the water. To fix it would have been more than a payment on a new machine! but it had over 2000 hard hours on it and I am sure a lot of stuff would have started crapping out on it anyway.

As far as Bobcat keying all machines alike, that seems to be industry wide practice. Just about any equipment from tiny to huge is keyed like it's brethren. There might be someone out there keying individually but I have never heard of them. Seems like it would be quick work to hotwire one anyway, whether it was keyed uniquely or with a common key. Probably the best benefit is keeping the wrong employees off the machine, and keeping an honest man honest. If somebody really wants that loader, they will find a way to get it.

dozerman21
08-24-2007, 12:25 AM
It is a good idea. A lot of times it is enough to deter someone. My last four skid steers I have ordered with the kill switch installed. It is a factory option and a great idea.

A lot of times the dealers will install all the kill switch in the same spot, so if the thief has been around skids very much and done any homework, he'll know where to look. Have them hide it somewhere besides the common places. The best spots are the ones that you can't see with a light and you have to feel for it. Like KSSS said, it might be enough to deter someone if nothing else.

MOREDIRT
08-24-2007, 03:43 PM
I know this is off topic but I was wondering if anyone has moved or added a second key switch and brake switch to a DEERE machine so they can start it with the door up.