PDA

View Full Version : Server Overloaded

puppypaws
08-23-2007, 11:19 PM
Anyone else get a message stating the server is to busy. It can't handle the amount of heavy traffic on this forum at night.

P.Services
08-23-2007, 11:20 PM
all the time, so quit posting bs like this!:laugh:

Matts lawn care
08-23-2007, 11:24 PM
Yes I got it about 5 min ago.

Envy Lawn Service
08-23-2007, 11:30 PM
Ironically, I rarely get that anymore....

I used to get that and "waiting for ads.lawnsite.com" all the time, but not anymore.

The ONLY thing I have ran into for about the last 6 months is once in a while I get the white page that says "Database Error".

KTO Enterprises
08-23-2007, 11:31 PM
The ONLY thing I have ran into for about the last 6 months is once in a while I get the white page that says "Database Error".

I get that quite often.

puppypaws
08-23-2007, 11:36 PM
I get that quite often.

I get it quiet often at night, I've contacted them where it says to on the data base error page but I guess there is nothing they are able to do at this time.

carcrz
08-23-2007, 11:46 PM
I get it daily.

robbo521
08-24-2007, 12:14 AM
me to every night.i send the little email but i dont think anybody sees that.i bet it gets kicked out as junk.

mower&more1986
08-24-2007, 12:51 AM
never has happened to me

GreenT
08-24-2007, 05:45 PM
For me the "Database Error" thingy started about 6 weeks ago. At one point it got so bad that I stoped loging in for a few day. It's somewhat better now.

The other thing that really bothers me is when after I sign in, I try to get into my user cp and it tell me I'm not signed in! Arghhh!

I think this site has grown too fast and those are just symptoms of the heavy traffic.

:waving:

puppypaws
08-24-2007, 06:32 PM
For me the "Database Error" thingy started about 6 weeks ago. At one point it got so bad that I stoped loging in for a few day. It's somewhat better now.

The other thing that really bothers me is when after I sign in, I try to get into my user cp and it tell me I'm not signed in! Arghhh!

I think this site has grown too fast and those are just symptoms of the heavy traffic.

:waving:

Yep, I think you are right and the abundance of cyber traffic overwhelms the sever at night.

MarcSmith
08-29-2007, 08:31 AM
but even first thing in the morning the site just drags....and there is only 376 users on line....

I think it all the ad animation helping to slow things down...

Envy Lawn Service
08-29-2007, 02:32 PM
but even first thing in the morning the site just drags....and there is only 376 users on line....

I think it all the ad animation helping to slow things down...

Yeah, that might be possible on the server end.

I had forgotten about that as I haven't seen that stuff in like 6 months.
My system blocks all that stuff.
That one up top with all those little blinking banners... just a blank white area for me!

MarcSmith
08-29-2007, 02:40 PM
Yeah, that might be possible on the server end.

I had forgotten about that as I haven't seen that stuff in like 6 months.
My system blocks all that stuff.
That one up top with all those little blinking banners... just a blank white area for me!

I haven't figured out on firefox how to disable the animations...

Envy Lawn Service
08-29-2007, 02:57 PM
I was die-hard firefox... and still am really... and I used to know how to do that right off the top of my head.

But I have forgotten because I haven't messed with firefox much in like 6 months.
I've been playing with this new hardware and playing with Vista.
So I have been sticking with Explorer 7 on it... which is a really lousy copy-cat of firefox.

But I can say that with everything I have on this box, I haven't had the security issues I had with Explorer before... which is what turned me so die-hard firefox.

Personally, I much prefer flavors of Unix/Linux for operating systems and open source software.
But this microsoft stuff is crammed down our throats.
So I have it, but believe me, I dual boot.....

MarcSmith
08-29-2007, 03:23 PM
i miss the old days of Dos.....My first Puter was a zenith 386 sx 16 with a 40MB hard drive with Dos 5.0 it had windows 3.1 loaded. the first thing i did was take off the windows...

AAXteriors
08-29-2007, 06:55 PM
i miss the old days of Dos.....My first Puter was a zenith 386 sx 16 with a 40MB hard drive with Dos 5.0 it had windows 3.1 loaded. the first thing i did was take off the windows...

Isn't Windows based on the Dos operating system or code??

puppypaws
08-29-2007, 07:08 PM
I was die-hard firefox... and still am really... and I used to know how to do that right off the top of my head.

But I have forgotten because I haven't messed with firefox much in like 6 months.
I've been playing with this new hardware and playing with Vista.
So I have been sticking with Explorer 7 on it... which is a really lousy copy-cat of firefox.

But I can say that with everything I have on this box, I haven't had the security issues I had with Explorer before... which is what turned me so die-hard firefox.

Personally, I much prefer flavors of Unix/Linux for operating systems and open source software.
But this microsoft stuff is crammed down our throats.
So I have it, but believe me, I dual boot.....

Tell me if there is something I am missing, I use XP Pro and Explorer 7 and have no problems that I am aware of but believe me I am no expert by any word of the imagination.

I did learn something from a computer guru that works unbelievably well, it is called ATF Cleaner and I keep it on my desk top.

This is what it cleans in seconds:

Windows Temp
Current Temp
All Users Temp
Cookies
Temporary Internet Files
History
Prefetch
Java Cache
Recycle Bin

You can select in the box what you want cleaned or check select all.

This is so fast it is almost scary.

KTO Enterprises
08-29-2007, 07:51 PM
I was die-hard firefox... and still am really...

I use firefox. I find it faster and more reliable than internet explorer.

puppypaws
08-29-2007, 09:07 PM

Explain the difference to me so I can understand what Firefox does differently. My computer has upload speed with DSL of 2700 mbs, I keep it clean and it operates as fast as blinking your eyes to open web pages. When you say more reliable what are you speaking of and what type of service are you using?

KTO Enterprises
08-29-2007, 09:26 PM
I found with firefox there was problems with websites, pages not loading, blah blah blah. My girlfriend uses Macs, and had firefox on there. It also has opera which is another browser I like.

Envy Lawn Service
08-30-2007, 01:30 AM

It is faster, more reliable.... has more features in every aspect... and is extremely more secure.

At one time, it held to honors for #1 PC product of the year, ahead of Gmail which took runner-up.

I found with firefox there was problems with websites, pages not loading, blah blah blah. My girlfriend uses Macs, and had firefox on there. It also has opera which is another browser I like.

That's a very simple thing.
99.9% of it is due to missing plugins for firefox not being installed.
It's no different from explorer in that repect....
It needs flashplayer (ect) in order to display flash webpages, content, etc...

The only thing I have ever seen with firefox is that with early versions... firefox renders webpages (reads and processes the code) so fast that back then, the way some pages were written, it would display some pages with a distorted strip at the top. Often you could refresh it, and it would correct it upon loading it a second time.

This was partly the early versions of firefox, but mostly the fault of programmers code written directly for just explorer.

I don't see this anymore. In fact, I do have firefox installed on my Vista drive.
Why?... because once in a blue moon, explorer 7 will not display a page. I copy the URL, open firefox and paste into the address bar... bang, it loads. I look at whatever I want and close firefox out.

Envy Lawn Service
08-30-2007, 01:56 AM
Tell me if there is something I am missing, I use XP Pro and Explorer 7 and have no problems that I am aware of but believe me I am no expert by any word of the imagination.

I did learn something from a computer guru that works unbelievably well, it is called ATF Cleaner and I keep it on my desk top.

This is what it cleans in seconds:

Windows Temp
Current Temp
All Users Temp
Cookies
Temporary Internet Files
History
Prefetch
Java Cache
Recycle Bin

You can select in the box what you want cleaned or check select all.

This is so fast it is almost scary.

!@#$&*!!! (curse words)

I typed up a whole big explaination and forgot to copy it... and I lost it...

The short of it is this.... In MY opinion, Firefox is a must for XP and earlier.

Forget all the small talk on Firefox... the reason I feel it is a must is for SECURITY purposes.

In my opinion, explorer on XP and earlier is equal to cyber swiss cheese.

"Cleaners" are good and should be ran regularly as an extra measure...
But think about this....

You are "always connected" with your internet service.
So think for a second about what all gets on there between one time you run the cleaner and the next.

Even if it gets 100% of everything bad every time you run it...
What about what is getting on there in between times and what is it?

It's better to PREVENT this stuff from getting on there in the first place, which is not realistic in my opinion while using explorer on XP and earlier.

This is the reason for switching to firefox and learning all about everything it can do for you.

=====================================================

Now for some more cool lawnsite tricks for you...
Next time you reply, try the following shortcut key combos...

Ctrl + b
Ctrl + i
Ctrl + u

puppypaws
08-30-2007, 04:15 AM
[QUOTE=Envy Lawn Service;1947535=====================================================

Ctrl + b
Ctrl + i
Ctrl + u

Explain what these shortcuts help with?

MarcSmith
08-30-2007, 08:00 AM
[QUOTE=Envy Lawn Service;1947535=====================================================

Ctrl + b
Ctrl + i
Ctrl + u

bold italic, underline

I guess orginially windows needed dos to run, but now windows is it own OS....

puppypaws
08-30-2007, 02:44 PM
[QUOTE=puppypaws;1947575]

bold italic, underline

Thank you!

What is dos, I guess os is operating system?

Envy Lawn Service
08-30-2007, 03:13 PM

Ctrl + b
Ctrl + i
Ctrl + u

If you use them when you have a blinking curser in the reply window here at lawnsite, it acts on those key combos as a shortcut.

Ctrl + b for example will auto-insert the "tags" for bold text and put your curser between them.

Same for the others... italics and underline....

Envy Lawn Service
08-30-2007, 03:28 PM
[QUOTE=puppypaws;1947575]

Yes, in reality, all of the windows operation systems that are not a member of the "NT" family were really only DOS with a graphical window skin at the most basic level. They literally booted by DOS.

The newer NT family (New Technology) are somewhat similar, just in a different way that I can't seem to find the right words to explain. I guess this is maybe not the best way to put it... but it's still DOS-based in a way, it just boots and operates differently.

Unix/Linux based operating systems have been technically way ahead from the start, and still really continue to be. The thing holding it back is that it's all considered open source, and nobody with their own "flavor" of it that they offer paid support for (such as RedHat) has the kind of money or marketing that microsoft does.

The only pitfall I have ever been able to find with Unix/Linux based operating systems is "optimal" hardware compatability at times. Like sometimes with graphics cards or sound cards. Sometimes it will link a 'default' driver to some types of these items and they will work only basically or sometimes not at all. Then you have to go hunt an open source driver for that particular OS and piece of hardware combination. This can sometimes be a bit aggrivating. But I can't say it's a lot different with windows... it's just usually easier to get the drivers you need.

KTO Enterprises
08-30-2007, 05:05 PM
Whoops envy, I meant to say I had too much problems with Internet Explorer. I have had absolutely no problems with Firefox.

puppypaws
08-30-2007, 07:14 PM
Whoops envy, I meant to say I had too much problems with Internet Explorer. I have had absolutely no problems with Firefox.

What kind of problems did you see with IE, I want to know so I can understand if I've had these problems. I'm an old dumb farmer, Envy went way past my knowledge base with his last post.

I like to hear what these problems are you and Envy have seen and what the other browsers do differently.

KTO Enterprises
08-30-2007, 10:03 PM
Firefox is a cleaner easier to use browser. I was constantly having problems With IE not allowing pages to load. Since going to firefox i have no problems with pages loading. You may need to download a few flash player plugins to view some aspects of certain websites.

Pop up ads also arent as prevalent.

puppypaws
08-30-2007, 10:54 PM
Firefox is a cleaner easier to use browser. I was constantly having problems With IE not allowing pages to load. Since going to firefox i have no problems with pages loading. You may need to download a few flash player plugins to view some aspects of certain websites.

This is what I don't understand, I have zero pop ups and everything loads instantly with Windows XP Pro and IE 7.

I run Trend Micro 2007 security suite, Ad-Aware, Spybot Search and Destroy and ATF Cleaner.

I have 1 gig of memory, keep all files clean and use only 3 startup programs. I will defrag every couple of months.

I have absolutely 0 problems of any kind and everything loads in the blink of an eye except when LawnSite says it is overloaded, LawnSite is the only thing I've ever seen slow down.

Now, I need someone to explain to me how Firefox can work better than what I am using.

Envy needs to explain this, he is extremely knowledgeable and has been further educated on computers. I would like to hear any input on this subject because when it comes to computers I am behind most people.

Envy Lawn Service
08-30-2007, 11:06 PM
What kind of problems did you see with IE, I want to know so I can understand if I've had these problems. I'm an old dumb farmer, Envy went way past my knowledge base with his last post.

I like to hear what these problems are you and Envy have seen and what the other browsers do differently.

See this a second time first... good info...

The fact is, I can only really run explorer 7 on this XPS unit because of all of the stuff I have on it. This computer is set up much more secure than my others... and also too, I have changed ISP's which allows me more security, and also too... truth be known, this computer is set up to block and/or remove a lot of stuff automatically... so I never know and get paranoid.

In addition to what KTO said, firefox is just a better program than explorer. Explorer is just not well-written (programmed). It has a lot of security flaws... more than I think they can ever patch as a company, and every time they do patch a hole, in a few minutes someone starts to exploit another hole... primarily because there is underhanded money to be made in marketing and theft crimes.

Firefox is written better, more securely with less holes, less "targeted" and has internal tools to help the end user make it even more secure and 'immune' to new threats.

At the same time, firefox is a 'lighter' application to use for a browser.
It's not the resource hog that explorer is.

This is not a concern on the computer I am on right now. When you have 2GB of RAM and a dual core processor that doesn't matter. But if you don't have or can't afford or don't otherwise need massive hardware on everything, IT MATTERS THEN.

Honestly, I dislike the hoggish microsoft products, but when it comes right down to it, that is the only thing I can think of to find to be grateful for from microsoft. I can thank them for their poorly designed, poorly written, gluttonous software for large amounts of highly available high end hardware at cheap prices. Their software made this type of hardware a NEED in the market, not a luxury.

Even Bill Gates himself would have never dreamed this years ago, and I'm thankful for that.

Envy Lawn Service
08-30-2007, 11:18 PM
This is what I don't understand, I have zero pop ups and everything loads instantly with Windows XP Pro and IE 7.

I run Trend Micro 2007 security suite, Ad-Aware, Spybot Search and Destroy and ATF Cleaner.

I have 1 gig of memory, keep all files clean and use only 3 startup programs. I will defrag every couple of months.

I have absolutely 0 problems of any kind and everything loads in the blink of an eye except when LawnSite says it is overloaded, LawnSite is the only thing I've ever seen slow down.

Now, I need someone to explain to me how Firefox can work better than what I am using.

Envy needs to explain this, he is extremely knowledgeable and has been further educated on computers. I would like to hear any input on this subject because when it comes to computers I am behind most people.

We must have been typing at the same time.
I read this and wanted to ask a few things...

First of all, do you use the IMMUNIZE tool in Spybot?
If not, you should!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Next, when you run adaware and spybot, how often is that and how much stuff does it find do you think on average?

You probably have zero popups because you have an extremely good popup blocker program in your security that you paid for like I do. I have had this system up 6 months now, and I have had 45 pop-ups that made it through to the my last line of defense though... the freebie google pop-up blocker. But I have never seen a pop-up on it. Never any browser hijacks either.

But the point is, all this stuff set up and/or paid for... needed crutches... ones not needed with firefox.

puppypaws
08-31-2007, 12:29 AM
We must have been typing at the same time.
I read this and wanted to ask a few things...

First of all, do you use the IMMUNIZE tool in Spybot?
If not, you should!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Next, when you run adaware and spybot, how often is that and how much stuff does it find do you think on average?

You probably have zero popups because you have an extremely good popup blocker program in your security that you paid for like I do. I have had this system up 6 months now, and I have had 45 pop-ups that made it through to the my last line of defense though... the freebie google pop-up blocker. But I have never seen a pop-up on it. Never any browser hijacks either.

But the point is, all this stuff set up and/or paid for... needed crutches... ones not needed with firefox.

I run the AD-Aware SE which is free every couple of days and it usually catches an average of 20 problems. The Spybot Search and Destroy I run in between days and it will catch 1 to about 5 problems, it is free also.

I pay for the Trend Micro which covers everything a suite is able to cover, it does a very good job.

I can't even remember when I've had a pop up ad of any kind. I don't go to any crazy web sites but if I tried to the suite will stop me and give information about the site.

I wonder why I have never seen these problems you are talking about. I have tier 2 dsl that does not run at the very top end speed but close enough that you could not tell the difference.

This system is flawless in every respect I use it for, you know how fast I like to mow if this computer was the least bit slow I would have one custom built that wasn't and take this one and donate it somewhere.

I don't like anything that does not work as close to perfection and as fast as possible for the task it is performing. The only way this computer could be any better is if I would not have to type, I could just talk to it.

Tell me what I should see that could be better. I use a 19" ViewSonic plasma monitor that looks like you could walk inside the display, the sound quality is excellent and the speakers are great.

I am always looking to improve anything but I don't see how to improve this, maybe you have some ideas. I just don't have anything slip in that gives the computer any problems, but I clean it more often than most probably.

GreenT
08-31-2007, 12:31 AM

I don't miss them at all.

You started with an 386, you had it easy. :)

I had the original IBM PC with the 10MB hard drive and the green monitor. Bought the first version of Lotus 123 and spend gazillion hours looking into that d**m green screen. Lost my eyesight.

Those were not good old days. :nono:

GreenT
08-31-2007, 12:36 AM
I run the AD-Aware SE which is free every couple of days and it usually catches an average of 20 problems. The Spybot Search and Destroy I run in between days and it will catch 1 to about 5 problems, it is free also.

I pay for the Trend Micro which covers everything a suite is able to cover, it does a very good job.

I can't even remember when I've had a pop up ad of any kind. I don't go to any crazy web sites but if I tried to the suite will stop me and give information about the site.

I wonder why I have never seen these problems you are talking about. I have tier 2 dsl that does not run at the very top end speed but close enough that you could not tell the difference.

This system is flawless in every respect I use it for, you know how fast I like to mow if this computer was the least bit slow I would have one custom built that wasn't and take this one and donate it somewhere.

I don't like anything that does not work as close to perfection and as fast as possible for the task it is performing. The only way this computer could be any better is if I would not have to type, I could just talk to it.

Tell me what I should see that could be better. I use a 19" ViewSonic plasma monitor that looks like you could walk inside the display and the sound quality is excellent of the speakers are great.

I am always looking to improve anything but I don't see how to improve this, maybe you have some ideas. I just don't have anything slip in that gives the computer any problems, but I clean it more often than most probably.

Nice setup.

Sounds like you have it all covered pp.

I run Ad-Aware Pro and AVG, and have never had any problems with my system. AVG will run you $40 for 2 years. Well worth it.

puppypaws
08-31-2007, 12:54 AM
Nice setup.

Sounds like you have it all covered pp.

I run Ad-Aware Pro and AVG, and have never had any problems with my system. AVG will run you $40 for 2 years. Well worth it.

I'm glad to know you think I am covered because I just don't have the knowledge this younger generation does on computers.

Not going to a lot of off the wall websites probably helps also.

Envy Lawn Service
08-31-2007, 01:28 AM

Tell me what I should see that could be better. I use a 19" ViewSonic plasma monitor that looks like you could walk inside the display, the sound quality is excellent and the speakers are great.

OK, so the Trend Micro is doing a pretty good job.

However, 20 items and 5 items still is what it is.

Often, you will never see any 'performance' effects, even with a lot more junk with that getting in.

And unfortunately, the writers of the bad stuff pray on and prey on the fact they can get a few things in, and you don't notice they are there, and they do their thing until a cleaner gets them, and you don't worry about what they are DOING while they are on there... because the cleaner got them, and you don't know and don't worry about what the were.

And chances are, you contract these bugs again the next time you surf...
Or... some of these bugs even have 'system hooks' that reload them automatically.
Cleaner gets the program, but not the hook or source file that reloads it.

A way to find out if you are getting any bugs with system hooks is to re-run the cleaner immediately after the initial scan & remove operation. If you see the same thing again, you have one...

The benefit of firefox is... you don't catch these bugs in the first place. They can't load themselves without you knowing it through holes in the program like it can with internet explorer.

I've ran firefox on all other operating systems for a couple of years now, and I've never gotten anything from a "scan" except a tracking cookie or two... and firefox has a feature that will allow you to block cookies from any site that you find to be responsible... prevented for good.

Now... I am going to share with you an opinion of mine, and some may not agree with, and that is OK...

The new 'viruses' or replacements for them are spyware, adware and malware bugs, and hard to detect backdoors, trojans, etc...

In this day and age, few non-ethical hackers are getting their rocks off by writing viruses and worms that destroy your data and crash your system.

Simply put... there is not a lot of money in that.

Instead, they want to spare your data on your machine so they can 'mine' it. They want to copy it, mine any information they can get about you, track your internet habits.... use your storage space, utilize your computer hardware, programs and internet connection and use it to do more such bidding. They like to "farm" a whole crop of zombie computers and harvest what they can from them and hope to never be detected or seen as a threat.

Companies underhandedly pay these techheads to do this stuff for market analysis, advertising, law-of-large-numbers sales, etc...

And all out crooks pay them to mine your information like account numbers, personal info, etc...

puppypaws
08-31-2007, 01:56 AM
OK, so the Trend Micro is doing a pretty good job.

However, 20 items and 5 items still is what it is.

Often, you will never see any 'performance' effects, even with a lot more junk with that getting in.

And unfortunately, the writers of the bad stuff pray on and prey on the fact they can get a few things in, and you don't notice they are there, and they do their thing until a cleaner gets them, and you don't worry about what they are DOING while they are on there... because the cleaner got them, and you don't know and don't worry about what the were.

And chances are, you contract these bugs again the next time you surf...
Or... some of these bugs even have 'system hooks' that reload them automatically.
Cleaner gets the program, but not the hook or source file that reloads it.

A way to find out if you are getting any bugs with system hooks is to re-run the cleaner immediately after the initial scan & remove operation. If you see the same thing again, you have one...

The benefit of firefox is... you don't catch these bugs in the first place. They can't load themselves without you knowing it through holes in the program like it can with internet explorer.

I've ran firefox on all other operating systems for a couple of years now, and I've never gotten anything from a "scan" except a tracking cookie or two... and firefox has a feature that will allow you to block cookies from any site that you find to be responsible... prevented for good.

Now... I am going to share with you an opinion of mine, and some may not agree with, and that is OK...

The new 'viruses' or replacements for them are spyware, adware and malware bugs, and hard to detect backdoors, trojans, etc...

In this day and age, few non-ethical hackers are getting their rocks off by writing viruses and worms that destroy your data and crash your system.

Simply put... there is not a lot of money in that.

Instead, they want to spare your data on your machine so they can 'mine' it. They want to copy it, mine any information they can get about you, track your internet habits.... use your storage space, utilize your computer hardware, programs and internet connection and use it to do more such bidding. They like to "farm" a whole crop of zombie computers and harvest what they can from them and hope to never be detected or seen as a threat.

Companies underhandedly pay these techheads to do this stuff for market analysis, advertising, law-of-large-numbers sales, etc...

And all out crooks pay them to mine your information like account numbers, personal info, etc...

I have done what you said by turning around and running another scan back to back and it comes up with nothing. I just ran the Ad-Aware scan while I took a shower and it found 12 tracking cookies and I took them out.

You are suppose to, I know but I don't delete my cookies because I have to many accounts to want to go back in and put the user ID and password everytime.

If you have a virus, adware, spyware, malware or what ever else is out there I would think you would see a change in the operation of your system. I got a virus once and ended up having HP send me 9 CD's and I had to do a complete destructive recovery, now you talking about aggravation, that was it. This was a couple of years ago and I have had no problems since, the virus got by Norton Internet Security.

Envy Lawn Service
08-31-2007, 02:33 AM
I have done what you said by turning around and running another scan back to back and it comes up with nothing. I just ran the Ad-Aware scan while I took a shower and it found 12 tracking cookies and I took them out.

You are suppose to, I know but I don't delete my cookies because I have to many accounts to want to go back in and put the user ID and password everytime.

If you have a virus, adware, spyware, malware or what ever else is out there I would think you would see a change in the operation of your system. I got a virus once and ended up having HP send me 9 CD's and I had to do a complete destructive recovery, now you talking about aggravation, that was it. This was a couple of years ago and I have had no problems since, the virus got by Norton Internet Security.

Those 12 tracking cookies are tracking your internet activities and reporting them back somewhere.

Anyways, here is a for-instance that might drive the point home for you.

A browser uses your system to store info. With explorer's holes, often you can load something on your system through your browser and be unaware. You are never asked anything, and your system assumes it's legit because explorer is doing a normal activity. The trouble is, things are set to expolit these flaws in explorer. This junk is embedded in things and gets loaded on your system while explorer is doing it's normal job of reading and displaying web pages.

Now to drive it home... what if one of these little bugs was a key logger?
This little monster is recording your every keystroke and reporting that info somewhere.

Anything you do on the computer is now compromised.
Account numbers, personal info, passwords, and on and on....

Now see what I am saying? It's not that I am saying you are currently infected with one of these items. I'm saying it is highly likely you may have already been and wiped it off, or it is likely you will be in the future. PC health is like your personal health... what you don't know about or notice signs of are the most dangerous... and an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Most of the more serious things you will contract on the PC today will have no symptoms.
These bugs are not viruses and appear like legit things, and do not have virus definitions.

Oh, and for the record... like your example of that virus. Viruses are still out there today, but in nowhere near the numbers that the other bugs are. But they are still there and they still get through here and there.

But understand that antivirus companies work feverishly at protecting you and they have been doing so for many years now. Most things today that make it past your software get through via the internet, and they do so by 'spoofing'... they exploit a hole, usually in explorer, and walk right in untouched because they appear as "business as usual".

That's how it walks right through your firewall, un-noticed by your antivirus in 'real-time' and many of them are programmed to even disable your antivirus and/or firewall once in.

Anyways, had you been running firefox, you might not have gotten that virus, unless of course you got it from email or literally downloaded it yourself.

puppypaws
08-31-2007, 01:23 PM
Those 12 tracking cookies are tracking your internet activities and reporting them back somewhere.

Anyways, here is a for-instance that might drive the point home for you.

A browser uses your system to store info. With explorer's holes, often you can load something on your system through your browser and be unaware. You are never asked anything, and your system assumes it's legit because explorer is doing a normal activity. The trouble is, things are set to expolit these flaws in explorer. This junk is embedded in things and gets loaded on your system while explorer is doing it's normal job of reading and displaying web pages.

Now to drive it home... what if one of these little bugs was a key logger?
This little monster is recording your every keystroke and reporting that info somewhere.

Anything you do on the computer is now compromised.
Account numbers, personal info, passwords, and on and on....

Now see what I am saying? It's not that I am saying you are currently infected with one of these items. I'm saying it is highly likely you may have already been and wiped it off, or it is likely you will be in the future. PC health is like your personal health... what you don't know about or notice signs of are the most dangerous... and an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Most of the more serious things you will contract on the PC today will have no symptoms.
These bugs are not viruses and appear like legit things, and do not have virus definitions.

Oh, and for the record... like your example of that virus. Viruses are still out there today, but in nowhere near the numbers that the other bugs are. But they are still there and they still get through here and there.

But understand that antivirus companies work feverishly at protecting you and they have been doing so for many years now. Most things today that make it past your software get through via the internet, and they do so by 'spoofing'... they exploit a hole, usually in explorer, and walk right in untouched because they appear as "business as usual".

That's how it walks right through your firewall, un-noticed by your antivirus in 'real-time' and many of them are programmed to even disable your antivirus and/or firewall once in.

Anyways, had you been running firefox, you might not have gotten that virus, unless of course you got it from email or literally downloaded it yourself.

Yes, that helped me understand a little better, the FireFox appears to be more bullet proof than IE, what does it take to change over?

puppypaws
08-31-2007, 02:13 PM
Yes, that helped me understand a little better, the FireFox appears to be more bullet proof than IE, what does it take to change over?

The proof is in the pudding!

http://www.codingforums.com/showthread.php?t=57139&page=10

KTO Enterprises
08-31-2007, 05:11 PM
www.mozilla.com

All you have to do is download it
An icon will appear on the desktop.

puppypaws
08-31-2007, 07:42 PM
www.mozilla.com

All you have to do is download it
An icon will appear on the desktop.

What happens to IE once you download FireFox. Do you need to remove everything associated with IE?

KTO Enterprises
08-31-2007, 09:42 PM
No you can leave IE. I did realize that I dont think Firefox will work with vista.

Like envy said you can leave IE, but if you go to your settings you can make Firefox your default browser.

puppypaws
08-31-2007, 10:18 PM
No you can leave IE. I did realize that I dont think Firefox will work with vista.

Like envy said you can leave IE, but if you go to your settings you can make Firefox your default browser.

I have XP Professional, a friend of my that has been working on and building computers for many years and has Vista on one of his personal computers said that it needed a little more tweaking. I really don't know anything about Vista or what he meant exactly. I did here him say people should still run XP Home or Professional unless they were more knowledgeable in computers because Vista still has some problems.