PDA

View Full Version : renovation of a yard

handzel05
08-24-2007, 12:21 AM
I have a backyard with a mix of zoysia and regular fescue. I wasnt satisfied with the way it looked so I went on a renovation sort of. In the fall of last year, I reseeded both my backyard and frontyard with a sports turf mix of perrenial ryegrass and tall fescue. In my backard, I have about 75% sun/ 25% shade and in the frontyard, I have 90% shade/10% sun if that. It grew fast and very good, in fact, since we had a cool summer, it was perfect until mid July. Anyway, the rye and fescue grass isnt doing well right now, in fact the frontyard is almost down to the actual ground, simply the grass has deadened. The backyard has brown spots going on and I know that is because I dont water as much as i need to because of work hours and that the grasses are a cool season grass. I was thinking about putting the lesco trigold mix of fescue grass and reseeding with that. If I overseeded with that, would it overcome the ryegrass? Another thing to point out is that my yards do not have a good quality ground in that we dont aerate it. That could be most of the problem but my yard ahsnt been this bad before. If anyone knows what I could do to help maintain my rye and fescue mix, then feel free to let me know.

KS_Grasscutter
08-24-2007, 12:55 AM
I have a backyard with a mix of zoysia and regular fescue. I wasnt satisfied with the way it looked so I went on a renovation sort of. In the fall of last year, I reseeded both my backyard and frontyard with a sports turf mix of perrenial ryegrass and tall fescue. In my backard, I have about 75% sun/ 25% shade and in the frontyard, I have 90% shade/10% sun if that. It grew fast and very good, in fact, since we had a cool summer, it was perfect until mid July. Anyway, the rye and fescue grass isnt doing well right now, in fact the frontyard is almost down to the actual ground, simply the grass has deadened. The backyard has brown spots going on and I know that is because I dont water as much as i need to because of work hours and that the grasses are a cool season grass. I was thinking about putting the lesco trigold mix of fescue grass and reseeding with that. If I overseeded with that, would it overcome the ryegrass? Another thing to point out is that my yards do not have a good quality ground in that we dont aerate it. That could be most of the problem but my yard ahsnt been this bad before. If anyone knows what I could do to help maintain my rye and fescue mix, then feel free to let me know.

Guess I fail to see what the problem is. Would give my left nut for all my lawns to be that nice.

handzel05
08-24-2007, 01:10 AM
Well yeah its nice, but this picture was taken in the spring of this year, thats when it looked really good, but now its all brown spots becasue of the lack of water and also because rye and fescue are cool season grasses, so not to confuse anyone, this is defintely not what my yard looks right now. Its much worse. I havent taken a picture of it right now, so i tried to explain it as best as i could. I just need help on if the Trigold fescue mix that lesco has would be a good seed for what my conditions are.

ED'S LAWNCARE
08-24-2007, 11:43 AM
Well that is what you would have with Rye grass. Usually in the summer it dies?? The lack of water will hurt the fescue... So where is the problem. Water your lawn re-seed with fescue.. all is good. Use Rye in the winter.