PDA

View Full Version : hauling pallets

mike lane lawn care
08-24-2007, 12:01 AM
ok, so tomorrow, well, in a few hours i will begin a tow-athon, hauling a couple hundred pallets from here to a family owned farm in Connecticut, about 75 mins away. i will be using the 6.5'x 18' utility trailer and my truck. about how many pallets do you think i can fit on the trailer safely? i know i can get 8 in the bed of my truck without a problem. what i'm planning on is about 35-40 pallets per trip, which will means i will have to make about 8 trips, taking an estimated 24 hours of continuous towing. is my estimate too low for how many pallets i should be able to get safely? if i can get a few more per trip then i can make les trips. i've already been up for 20 hours, so another 24 is gonna be a little tough, but i've done it before and tomorrow is the only time i can do it in the next 2 weeks. let me know what you guys think i can get on there per load, i'll be around for another 2 or so hours.

thanks.

oh, please don't question why i'm doing this, cause i am. it's very important to my aunt that the pallets get therre soon for some big project she is working on.

tnmtn
08-24-2007, 12:26 AM
i think you will get more pallets per trip. if you don't have a tool box you should be able to get 2 stacks in the bed of your long bed truck. i am guessing maybe go about 8 high. 16 just there. maybe 4 stacks in the trailer but you should be able to go higher.
good luck and post a picture.

exmark72
08-24-2007, 12:29 AM
are we talking empty pallets. if so just load them the best u can and as high as u can and just tie them down really well overdo it if u have to.

Guzman Properties
08-24-2007, 12:37 AM
Can you rent/borrow a bigger trailer?

Can you rent a u-haul truck and do it in one trip and save on the gas/wear and tear and time?

mike lane lawn care
08-24-2007, 12:48 AM
i thought about the u-haul thing but it wasn't worth it. and i can only get one stack in the truck, cause it's the short bed, that's the downfall of having sporty looks. it's gonna cost an estimated $350 in fuel, and the only local truck rental place would have charged about the same due to the insane amount of miles, PLUS fuel. I would have borrowed a dumptruck from my grandfather's farm, but it requires a CDL. looking at it now, i can see cramming about 60 on there as long as everything is tied down, but it's still gonna be the longest time i've ever spent towing. good thing about heading out at like 2am, is there will be NO traffic on the turnpike.

Guzman Properties
08-24-2007, 01:09 AM
Good luck!!!

LindblomRJ
08-24-2007, 01:10 AM
6 1/2 foot width 18 foot bed. You may be able to get two rows side by side on the trailer. I am guessing if done right you could get about 100 pallets on the trailer. 2 rows of 4 stacked 12 high is 96. As long as its tied town well not a problem. (been there done that) If done that way would amount to 3trips.

It would be a better idea from a safety stand point that you get some rest.

carcrz
08-24-2007, 06:45 AM
Put a stack in the bed & 4 stacks on the trailer. Get them as tall as you can & strap them down good.

mike lane lawn care
08-24-2007, 02:15 PM
ok, well i just got back from 4 consecutive trips. i only need to do one more, but i thought i would post with my progress as i stopped home to get some lunch before going at the final run. and damm, i am gonna sleep well tonight.

i was able to get 8 in the bed of the truck, without it being too unstable, and i got 3 stacks on the trailer, it was like 6" too short for a fourth stack, but i go them nice and tall, and secured them with 10,000 lb. ratchet straps.

leaflandscape
08-24-2007, 02:40 PM
Is it a tandem axle trailer, 'cause you could get as many as you could stack and strap on a heavy enough trailer.

Petr51488
08-24-2007, 08:07 PM
You're weird

mike lane lawn care
08-24-2007, 08:08 PM
You're weird

did you even have to sudjest it? i thought it was a given.

mike lane lawn care
08-24-2007, 08:15 PM
Is it a tandem axle trailer, 'cause you could get as many as you could stack and strap on a heavy enough trailer.

and yes, it is a tandem axle trailer. when i went to load up for my last trip, i saw that i had 45 more pallets than i thought. my first thought was "CRAP!, i'm gonna have to make another trip" but then i remembered what was said on here, i piled the extra ones up, tied them down and went on my merry way, probably overloaded, but it got done.

the pallets are going to be used for a multitude of projects at this farm. including being used for stacking firewood, stacking hay bales for the horses(keeps them off the ground), and most of them are to be used for making a path around a pond that is currently all mud.

the final count was approx 375 pallets.

Petr51488
08-24-2007, 09:03 PM
did you even have to sudjest it? i thought it was a given.

Hah, at least you admit it.

Lynden-Jeff
08-24-2007, 10:40 PM
Even thought you can't fit a 4th stack you could put some on end, which im sure you did. Those 10,000 LB rachet straps are handy as anything!

keepoffthegrass
08-25-2007, 11:30 AM
8 in the truck bed? i just fit 14 in mine stacked straigh up and down from the cab to the gate, (short box chev) no strapping neccessary, up and down i think is the your best bet for stackin them in your truck and trailer

mike lane lawn care
08-25-2007, 12:23 PM
8 in the truck bed? i just fit 14 in mine stacked straigh up and down from the cab to the gate, (short box chev) no strapping neccessary, up and down i think is the your best bet for stackin them in your truck and trailer

i never thought of that! but it wouldn't work for the trailer, as it doesn't have a ramp gate, it has an open end with pull out ramps.

New Heights
08-27-2007, 06:04 PM
what are you doing with all of these pallets?:confused:

knothead
08-27-2007, 06:31 PM
what size are they?
Thats what I DO AS MY OTHER BUSINESS AND I HAUL 150 AT A TIME ON A 16 FT LAOWBOY!48+40 IS THE SIZE I HAUL

DBL
08-27-2007, 06:47 PM
why doesnt youre grandfather come down with that dump truck and make one trip

mike lane lawn care
08-27-2007, 10:29 PM
what size are they?
Thats what I DO AS MY OTHER BUSINESS AND I HAUL 150 AT A TIME ON A 16 FT LAOWBOY!48+40 IS THE SIZE I HAUL

well, you obviously stack them higher than i did. i think if i did this for work, then i would outfit the trailer with some kind of bars that go up the side to retain pallets and just pile them on. other thing i was worried about was the weight, 150 pallets would be a bit of weight.

copeblk
08-27-2007, 10:54 PM
you didn't happen to be in central new york today did you? read this yeaterday and was heading out this morning and saw a dark chevy/gmc with trailer stacked to the sky with pallets, had a sign that said "mulch" on the side. probably wasen't but i thought of you.

mike lane lawn care
08-27-2007, 11:00 PM
you didn't happen to be in central new york today did you? read this yeaterday and was heading out this morning and saw a dark chevy/gmc with trailer stacked to the sky with pallets, had a sign that said "mulch" on the side. probably wasen't but i thought of you.

no, wasn't me, but if you see a blue GMC sierra with a kubota MX5000 on it heading through central new york in the next week or so, it probably is me.

knothead
08-27-2007, 11:11 PM
Most pallets are between 30-50 pounds a piece so yeah the weight adds up fast ! Dont know what your doing with yours but around here you can get as much as $5 a piece for them from a pallet recycler!

mike lane lawn care
08-27-2007, 11:34 PM
Most pallets are between 30-50 pounds a piece so yeah the weight adds up fast ! Dont know what your doing with yours but around here you can get as much as $5 a piece for them from a pallet recycler!

really?i know that there is a place about 20 mins from the site where i'm getting an almost limitless supply of free pallets, that buys them to be re-used, maybe i should look into that. cause a few fully loaded trips could add up.

knothead
08-28-2007, 11:38 AM
I would check into it prices very depending on size and condition but still can turn into some decent money !

Guzman Properties
08-28-2007, 12:13 PM
Usually the 4 way pallets in good condition are worth $5. Different sizes gets different pricing. Odd ball sizes get torn apart and used for parts.