PDA

View Full Version : leaf vac

pagreen
08-24-2007, 08:35 AM
hi everyone this is my first season and i am looking into making a leaf vac system for my trailer. my questions is do you think a 8 hp vac is good or how much hp do i really need to handle leaves?

gene gls
08-24-2007, 09:37 PM
hi everyone this is my first season and i am looking into making a leaf vac system for my trailer. my questions is do you think a 8 hp vac is good or how much hp do i really need to handle leaves?

I used an 8 hp GiantVac loader for several years with my pickup. The smaller the HP, the slower you go. Then again, you can't use a big HP unit in a small collection box.

nobagger
08-24-2007, 09:51 PM
IMO, dont waste your time! I think it would be quicker to tarp leaves at that point. We just bought a Billygoat with a 13hp Honda. We used a friends last year and it did great (same set up as we just bought) but it clogged a few times, and anything can clog and usually the bigger the hp the bigger the clog. I think a 8hp is just too low, you need a larger engine to force debris through some times, especially in wet leaves. I would look at a 11hp AT LEAST!

DuallyVette
08-27-2007, 09:46 PM
16 HP is REALLY the minimum. Thats what I started with , and Ive wanted a bigger one since I bought it.

Boycea
08-28-2007, 12:31 AM
I ran a 8hp vac on a pickup with a leaf box when I first started out. It worked out fine for what I was doing, but like everyone said, bigger is better when it comes to vacs. They are slower than the larger hp units, but if thats all you have or all you can afford when starting out then their's nothing wrong with that, it will work.

Msteele
08-31-2007, 11:14 PM
Does anyone have any suggestions regarding vacs that mount to your ztr?
I just started to start shopping around for one, so far the only ones I have looked at are Trac-Vacs by Palmor Products. However, I don't think I was impressed with them. The ones I was looking at all had 6.5 hp motors. Is there a difference in need of hp between a box, and a mounted setup? Any and all suggestions would be very helpful, thanks a lot.

DuallyVette
09-02-2007, 01:47 PM
Does anyone have any suggestions regarding vacs that mount to your ztr?
I just started to start shopping around for one, so far the only ones I have looked at are Trac-Vacs by Palmor Products. However, I don't think I was impressed with them. The ones I was looking at all had 6.5 hp motors. Is there a difference in need of hp between a box, and a mounted setup? Any and all suggestions would be very helpful, thanks a lot.

Many years ago we used a vac on a mower. Anything smaller than a 7 inch diameter hose clogged to easily. We quit using it because the newly seeded lawns (Sept, early October) took an extra beating from the extra traffic and weight of the machines, and the fact that the lawns were wetter and dried slower in the Fall causing some turf damage on an already delicate lawn. It was a real time saver on Bermuda or weedy lawns, because the leaves stayed on top to the turf and you wanted to mow lower than on Fescue.
JMO

Msteele
09-04-2007, 12:49 AM
Honestly, about 90% of my yards are weedy and in poor condition. My small mowing company in based on work i do for landlords who own multiple rental properties. So based on the fact that the yards i mow are not nice turf do you think it would be alright to go with a mounted system? Or would you recommend that I start looking at a box setup instead? For my situation getting the job done quick, and at low cost is the most important thing. Thanks again for all the help.

DuallyVette
09-04-2007, 09:56 PM
On lawns that stand the extra wear and tear, a vacuum mounted on a mower is great.

LawnScapers of Dayton
09-05-2007, 06:51 AM
I just bought a Cyclone rake...... I am currently working on getting it set up......I will post pics when it is done.....

Msteele
09-17-2007, 02:43 AM
which model cyclone rake did you buy, i have visited their web site a few times and I defently have my eye on them. I would like to hear what you think about it.

LawnScapers of Dayton
09-17-2007, 06:59 AM
I bought the middle one (285gal), If you search on Stander & Cyclone Rake you will see pics...... I have yet to use it on leaves but it worked fine with grass....

Runner
09-17-2007, 09:37 AM
They have that new XL unit out with a 9hp motor and a HUGE suction impellar. They say this has a tremendous increase in the vacuum power.

LawnScapers of Dayton
09-17-2007, 07:07 PM
yep, but that is too big for me,,,,althought I would love to have the 9hp, with the 285gal unit....