PDA

View Full Version : Tips for thick grass and walk behind?

Claf
08-24-2007, 05:33 PM
Almost every mow session for me is a extremely frustrating experience. This is because my family owns a toro walk behind mower, and when i try to use either the bagging or the mulching feature, the mower does about 3 streaks of my lawn then the deck clogs up and i have to chisel stuck grass off, the i repeat ABOUT 12 TIMES, till the lawns done, this i guess is because we have VERy thick grass at my house and my parents wont get a riding mower with more HP to handle it, any tips? :realmad: :realmad:

All_Toro_4ME
08-24-2007, 05:46 PM
Almost every mow session for me is a extremely frustrating experience. This is because my family owns a toro walk behind mower, and when i try to use either the bagging or the mulching feature, the mower does about 3 streaks of my lawn then the deck clogs up and i have to chisel stuck grass off, the i repeat ABOUT 12 TIMES, till the lawns done, this i guess is because we have VERy thick grass at my house and my parents wont get a riding mower with more HP to handle it, any tips? :realmad: :realmad:

Are your blades sharpened? You might try aplying FluidFilm, vegetable oil, or wd 40 on the bottom of your deck.

BUCKEYE MOWING
08-24-2007, 11:17 PM
How high is the grass and how low are you cutting it ??? PICS might help us help you ....

MoGreen
08-27-2007, 12:42 AM
Toro #600528? mower here.
I seem to have the same problem. I have the SR4 recycler, sharp blades and keep it on the highest possible setting. It seems to "push" the grass along and cuts it again, and again.....mincing the grass up. When I get to the end of my row to turn around it leaves a big clump of grass at the end of each row and it drives me crazy!
I have a Bobcat Z-turn for my lawn as well, and just installed a mulching kit on it. The directions say to reverse pitch the deck so it will do this same thing as the Toro. I believe if you have a forward pitch on the deck, (front lower than the back) it is better for regular blades and a reverse pitch (rear lower than the front) is better for mulching blades. (My theory)
Can anyone else jump in on this? Hope this helps....
I would try to pitch the deck upward and see if it helps. (experiment with it)

cgaengineer
08-28-2007, 12:28 PM
Sounds to me like you need to cut more frequent.

All_Toro_4ME
08-28-2007, 12:55 PM
I agree with cgaengineer. Sounds like your grass is tall and needs servicing more often.

Bill S
08-28-2007, 04:53 PM
Cut two times per week, you will go faster and it will be better for the lawn

brucec32
10-05-2007, 05:43 PM
Yep, one thing homeowners often fail to realize is that mowing fast growing thick grass 2x as often takes less time than waiting and mowing it just once. Big commercial mowers can handle heavier stuff and disperse it or even mulch it.