PDA

View Full Version : $%*% Bees!!!

Matts lawn care
08-24-2007, 06:38 PM
i found about 200 bees just in case any of you need some! Yellow jacket to be specific. I got stung 5 times. See for yourself. Humm looks like the picture did not take so I will explain. Here I am mowing a lot that buts up against the woods. I am at the edge of the woods turning around when bang. One gets me in the arm. Then I see about 40-60 come flying out of the woods! I jump off blades running and all and run as fast as I could up the hill. At this point one flew up my shirt and gets me reel good in the back making a 3" by 2" welt. Now I am in the customers driveway deciding my plan of attack to get the mower outa there. I decide to slowly walk towards the mower and watch to see where they are coming from when bang in the other arm. this one left his stinger in me as long as his guts. No I am pissed so I run up the mower shut it down and take the key. #$&% bees! O by the way I ran over a turtle too, oops. So how was your day?

sandman23
08-24-2007, 07:24 PM
Been there. Sometimes it is better to take your lumps and get the equipment out. Going back sucks.

MuleCutter
08-24-2007, 07:43 PM
Been there. Sometimes it is better to take your lumps and get the equipment out. Going back sucks.

yep... hit that PTO off so you dont catch anything that might be lying around and could damage the mower and throw your sticks forward and get the hell outta there....

Matts lawn care
08-24-2007, 08:12 PM
The only problem with that is i have a residential xrt and it only can go 5.5 mph lol. I am going back now and will give you my report when i come back.

Matts lawn care
08-24-2007, 08:51 PM
OK i went back got the mower and finished up the front. I also discovered the hive. It was in their old wood pile. I must have seen 100-120 bees come out every 30 seconds. I will not be back there until this problem is solved.

grassmanak
08-24-2007, 08:57 PM
i had a similar problem today, bees were out in swarm in the gardens today. I had several missed attacks, they didnt think it was funny when the redmax's came out to play (yes both trimmer and blower).

Uranus
08-24-2007, 09:04 PM
I will not be back there until this problem is solved.

Why. For $3.50 you can buy a can of spray and charge them $40 to kill and remove as much of the nest as you can. Fire the whole can in to the nest and let it soak in for a while. Bust up the wood pile to open up the nest and if you need to blast the nest again with a second can of spray. I do this all the time. Took out a ground nest today, and this past monday I PLAYED with a white face hornet nest that was the size of a beach ball. I make about $500 per year off bees. Never been stung while killing them.

A couple rocks, couple cans of bee spray, and sometimes my pole saw to reach the little b@stads.

$40 per nest please. Nobody has ever complained either. Your doing them a favor and they will remember that when its renewal/price increase time next spring.

Matts lawn care
08-24-2007, 09:20 PM
I have a can of that 25' jet stream kill on contact. i have only located the nest entrance the nest itself is not visible. I could just get a sweat shirt and sweatpants on and "bump" the wood pile a little. I will see what i can do about it tomorrow.

windsory
08-24-2007, 10:00 PM
So, you got attacked by a swarm of yellow jackets, ditched all of your equipment and ran home to talk about it on Lawn Site and then went back 2 hours later to finish the job? whoa nelly :laugh:

Matts lawn care
08-24-2007, 10:55 PM
This was my last lawn. I went home for dinner and chilled for a bit until the bee activity died down and went back. (its in my neighborhood) The only thing I left was my zrt.

DoetschOutdoor
08-25-2007, 01:54 PM
SO are you going to get some pics of the nests or what because this is the section for picture sharing...

DiyDave
08-25-2007, 08:20 PM
its stings are to the pocketbook. In MD if you apply insecticide to a bee nest you have to be licensed and certified pesticide applicator (if you are doing it for hire). Fine $10,000-now THAT stings!:hammerhead:

South Florida Lawns
08-25-2007, 10:41 PM
why is this in the pictures column I thought I was gonna see some bee pics. What a let down.

S man
08-26-2007, 02:26 AM
First you called it a xrt. Then you called it a zrt. It's a ZTR!!!!

Matts lawn care
08-26-2007, 02:43 PM

You get the point don't you? May be the venom was getting to me? Or it might be the fact that I was 1/2 sleeping due to the meds for the bee sting or I just have no idea of what I'm talking about.:confused:
I meant a ZTR!!!

Prolawnservice
08-26-2007, 04:03 PM
I hear ya, I got hit by three yellow jackets on thursday, the stings are still ichy

BigTom
08-26-2007, 08:49 PM
Don't insult bees by confusing them with yellow jackets. I do a sideline of honeybee swarm removal and colony captures, believe me when I say I'd rather go after 20,000 bees that I would 200 yellow jackets. This time of year it's not unusual for me to get several calls a week for yellow jackets, I do take care of the problem but they are a lot more aggressive than honeybees.

Lawn Enforcer
08-27-2007, 10:23 AM
I ran into a nest of wasps the other day too, luckily I saw it when I was far away! Told the homeowner about it and he took care of it.

Supper Grassy
08-27-2007, 10:33 AM
Matt
do you have any pictures?

stuffdeer
08-27-2007, 11:55 AM

No you can call it a ZRT.

Zero Radius Turn Mower....

Willofalltrades
08-27-2007, 12:27 PM
I found a nest in the back yard of my customer's property. Normally I wouldn't really care, it was about 15 feet up in a tree, but the bees that were comming out were HUGE!! I mean they were yellow jackets the size of bumble bees! Every single bee looked like the queen. So, I cut near it and almost got stung (I smacked that little effer). I hate the darn things. I think its from bad childhood experiences (when I was younger I stepped on a wasp nest).

cat2
08-27-2007, 12:56 PM
I use stuff from Wal mart. I think it is Bugout wasp and hornet. With foaming action. Works good, get it on the nest and it foams up there is no way they can get out. And I mean foam!!!!!!!!!

windsory
08-27-2007, 10:47 PM
I ran over a few mud wasp nests in the ground a few weeks back. That wasn't fun.