PDA

View Full Version : Impulse EBay Buyer. Won item, now what!

Mowtown Mike
08-24-2007, 08:07 PM
Hello Boys and Girls,
Last week,I bid on a Ryan mataway over seeder on Ebay. I threw a bid out there and I won it for $680. It cost me another $200 for shipping, (461 lbs.) The machine is in nice shape, runs pretty good 11hp Kohler. Everything works on it so far.

My problem is, I do not know anything about it. It has no maintenance handbook or instruction manual. I have done a little research on it. I do not know what to charge for use of the machine. Nobody does it around my area. I was thinking about advertising for for business in the fall.

1. What to charge my customers?

2. What to tell my future customers on what they will expect to see in the following spring, summer?

Thanks Mike

Liquidfast
08-24-2007, 08:12 PM
Over seeding is great for my biz. I buy the seed and some peat moss, do my thing and throw in for my time...usually $65-$75 above cost and that does the trick. I book it on a Monday and Tuesday and cram them into one area at a time. I can and have made $650-$750 per day (maybe a bit more or less) if I hustle.

Pietro
08-24-2007, 11:03 PM
Charge per sq foot. Thats what we do. We make a KiLLING! lol.

Mowtown Mike
08-25-2007, 04:38 PM
Does the mataway work better than a broadcast spreader?

Runner
08-25-2007, 07:37 PM
You can't really compare the two. A slitseeder drills the seed right down into the ground where it can germinate.

roguesuerte
08-26-2007, 12:10 AM
I have a Mataway and a smaller Bluebird slicer seeder with a seed box. I prefer using the saller unit just for the increased maneuverability. The Mataway always did a great job but mine weighs in at at least five or six hundred ponds and is very cumbersome. Both machines place the seed nearby, or in the furrows created by the baldes so I would say that it definitely better than a bradcast spreader.