PDA

View Full Version : Crabgrass killer that won't kill good grass?

whitenack
08-25-2007, 11:02 AM
I am over-run with crabgrass. I need a herbicide that will kill the crabgrass but not the good grass.

Do they make such a thing?

Nosmo
08-25-2007, 11:39 AM
Yes -- MSMA or Bayer. Use as directed on the label or it may harm the good grass.

Nosmo

Capemay Eagle
08-26-2007, 05:47 PM
It may be a little late to apply any kind of crab grass killer, if you are going to over seed in the fall that is..

Budget
08-27-2007, 11:46 AM
My fert. guy did my place last week and hand sprayed the crabgrass patches and they are all dead now. I will ask what he uses, cause it worked fast and did not kill any of the good grass.

turfsolutions
09-16-2007, 11:05 AM
Q4 or Drive works well but not sure if they are available to the homeowner. Remember, you can't seed for 3-4 weeks after an appliation so if you are going to seed in the fall you may just want to let the crabgrass die off naturally with the cold temps.

NNL&LS
09-17-2007, 03:33 PM
anyone can buy Q4. You just have to know where to get it (professional turf products store). It does work, and won't harm your lawn. But, thanks turfsolutions for the reminder on seed. I almost made a big woops. Seeding a lawn this week, and almost hosed her down with it.

topsites
09-18-2007, 02:01 AM
If you plan on seeding it has to go down 30 days apart, weed killers interfere with germination.
Now the cold front that's sure to come will kill the crabgrass for winter, so seed now and kill the crabgrass next year when it comes back, or kill the crabgrass now and forget seeding.

I would check with Home Depot, I think Ortho maxes a MAX killer that tackles Weeds + crabgrass (and not lawn), at least for next year, because the crabgrass will come back. You will want to start looking for it around June, and start treating it then, it usually starts up about that time and keeps getting worse, if you catch it early you stand a fighting chance (and it's still a fight lol).

Because drive75 or acclaim works but it costs $90 a pound and you about need a college degree in scientific engineering to understand the mix ratio charts... :laugh:
If you're real good with powder chems delivered via liquid vehicles and understand about surfactants and all that, I think there's a place in Florida sells drive by the ounce, you can order it from their store on ebay, a backpack sprayer is assumed.

So I'd try HD, I think it's Ortho that makes it but if it isn't then it's all in that same section anyhow, read the labels.
It's one of them bottles you hook to your garden hose and go to town, you might need more than 1.
Good luck.

KENLUDE97
09-18-2007, 07:07 AM
Home Depot has a few products that i have used.

Scotts has a few products that seams to work pretty good. I have used it on a mild "infestation" They also sell spray. You only spray right on the plant that you want to kill.

Here is a link to the scotts website with the products
http://www.scotts.com/index.cfm/event/ProductGuide.category/category/%2FCategories%2FProducts%2FWeed+Insect+and+Disease+Control

Good luck